• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Guys,

Since the lowers we have (for non-Hbars) are now precious. Any tips for preserving them? I am in my thirties, so hope to have the rifles for a while. I originally had 2 lowers that were to be my spares, but I ended up building them into rifles.

Any coatings that would make a lower more durable- like NIBX? I know some shops like Bill Springfield has inserts for egged out trigger holes (and KNS pins)...but any other thoughts on making a once <$100 dollar part last forever?

Thanks,
    Richard

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    KNS pins for the FCG, don't pull out the break down pins twelve times a day, and don't mortar it and it will probably outlast you...

Or you could coat it in cosmoline and put it in a drawer for the next 60 years...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    You're going to have to fire tens of thousands of rounds to even start to see wear on a properly made lower. I wouldn't worry about it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You're going to have to fire tens of thousands of rounds to even start to see wear on a properly made lower. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got just under 12K on one lower, and it's still going strong.

Little bit more play between upper and lower, but still works just fine.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Use a pin follower when reinstalling the trigger group roll pins. If you do plan to mortar an AR because of a stuck live round and a frozen bolt --- collapse the collapsible stock before doing so. If not...use a rubber mallet or a regular hammer, while using a small block of wood against the lever of the charging handle. If you go to the range, a rubber mallet should be in your "possibles" range bag.

If you plan to dry-fire a taken down lower...put your least favorite thumb between the hammer and the receiver; while slowly lowering the hammer with your other thumb. Keep the AR on SAFE if the hammer is cocked during takedown or vice versa. Make sure the take-down pins are extended out while closing the upper an lower together.

Bring an extra hammer & springs, if you go to a match or training camp. I do like beefy mil-spec hammer's for reliability.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Soak it in Olga's hand lotion:

Attachments

• cosmoline.jpg
      cosmoline.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 298

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Most lowers are aluminum, so there is not much to worry about for storage concerns. As already mentioned, unless the lower was built like crap or there is a defect in the build, it will last for tens of thousands of rounds, maybe 100's of thousands of rounds. If you are worried about maintaining the lowers, look at some threads about that. From what I have read and my limited experience with AR rifles, they like to run "wet", which usually means lubricated.

My greatest worry about long term longevity of lowers is theft. So, lock them up real good because if they get stolen, they are gone for good, unless you move to a more 2nd Amendment friendly state.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll stop worrying...and consider moving out of State. Though I live ~15 minutes from where I grew up.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Push in the pins while cleaning. If the lower falls with a pin out, it could easily crack the lower.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll stop worrying...and consider moving out of State. Though I live ~15 minutes from where I grew up.

I grew up in the Silver Spring/Colesville area and live about 25 minutes from there now. Still thinking about moving out of Maryland though. Probably won't unless it comes down to licensing or registration of my non-regulated firearms, but my wife and I have looked at property in Richmond and Texas and debated making the move. The biggest hurdle I have is my 6 year old crying when we talk about moving because of all the friends she has here.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

It's worth considering.

Born/raised in MD., escaped to VA for 7 years, and inexplicably decided to move back to MD.

I think someone pulled a Jedi mind-trick on me somehow.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have lowers from the pre-Clinton AWB , thirty year old plus M16 RRs. It would be hard to wear them out. Enjoy them for now , dont worry about it. Im sure that some spray on coating better than cerakote will be invented in the future.

I have a couple of beater guns that i dont really mind scratches or character marks. the rest are collectibles that do not even see the light of day. The beater guns are a lot more fun.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    BradMacc82 said:
    I think someone pulled a Jedi mind-trick on me somehow.

Not sure what that says about you, since "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

:)

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom