• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've seen on other boards that people seem to have no problems with it, other then occasional hard primers. Let us know.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I don't know...
    Cracked necks... If you have a failure because the case splits it could be bad news.
    I have see it where there was a case failure and it blew the mag out of the gun.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    is that a C&R price?

Yes.

Well, good or bad - it's on the way! Will give a report, but
    it will probably be a week or so.

The stuff I got from AIM has been spectacular for accuracy.
    I'm hoping this is as good.

JAGGUY

Nov 4, 2009
    Peoples Republik
    I got a bunch with cracked cases last year from SOG. I called them to let them know about it, didn't complain at all. Couple of days later there was a package on the door step with replacement ammo. I called them to ask about sending it back but she said I should just shoot it. So I did, with no issues.
    For what its worth.......
    -g

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hi,

has anybody bought this ammo?

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=AM953A

It's listed at $99 for 1260 rounds, but with the discount is $86.

For that price I said "what the heck" and ordered up some. Just wondering if it was worse than the description.

thnks,jb
    I bought some when I think it was even cheaper last month (mine turned out to be $99 total after shipping)and I actually had one bullet fall out of the case when I had loose rounds in a bag at the range when firing my first hundred.
    But....meh....who cares? The price was awesome and even with a few potentially occasional rounds like that it is still more than adequate for practice.
    The cracks are very noticable on many rounds, but the ammo did not seem to be a problem in my Tokarev.

Note, be careful of shooting such rounds in a CZ52.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hi,

has anybody bought this ammo?

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=AM953A

It's listed at $99 for 1260 rounds, but with the discount is $86.

For that price I said "what the heck" and ordered up some. Just wondering if it was worse than the description.

thnks,jb
    I bought some when I think it was even cheaper last month (mine turned out to be $99 total after shipping)and I actually had one bullet fall out of the case when I had loose rounds in a bag at the range when firing my first hundred.
    But....meh....who cares? The price was awesome and even with a few potentially occasional rounds like that it is still more than adequate for practice.
    The cracks are very noticable on many rounds, but the ammo did not seem to be a problem in my Tokarev.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009

Well, this is going to go out of a Romanian TT-33. Shouldn't be an issue then.

Price is the same as last month. I like the shipping policy of CA. $12.95 for up to $500 in purchases. Makes buying heavy stuff like ammo attractive!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Well, this is going to go out of a Romanian TT-33. Shouldn't be an issue then.

Price is the same as last month. I like the shipping policy of CA. $12.95 for up to $500 in purchases. Makes buying heavy stuff like ammo attractive!
    Actually they had a major discount for October. Mine was $99 total after shipping after the discount.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Actually they had a major discount for October. Mine was $99 total after shipping after the discount.

Same discounted price -- $86 plus 12.95 for shipping is $99 :innocent0

Hope the stuff they send is as good as yours was. I'm guessing that they don't open then reseal each case, just are discounting the whole lot of rounds. Might get lucky but then again, might get unlucky!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Same discounted price -- $86 plus 12.95 for shipping is $99 :innocent0

Hope the stuff they send is as good as yours was. I'm guessing that they don't open then reseal each case, just are discounting the whole lot of rounds. Might get lucky but then again, might get unlucky!
    Mine was in an originally sealed can (the lead seal had a patina on it), so they must have had the same problem with the lot to know mine had the cracked necks too.

When I went to the range I had some what I think was Bulgarian or Romanian surplus. Even with the cracked case necks, the Polish was much superior.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Not being a pest, but....why be careful out of a CZ52? Aren't they generally more beefy than the tok? Or is it due to something else?

Yeah, I think the "weaker" Cz52 thing is a myth/opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

It has nothing to do with the myth about the CZ52 being weaker, but rather it has to do with shrapnel getting stuck in the roller bearings.

Personally I believe the CZ52 can handle stronger ammo and supposedly the Czech ammo WAS stronger. I am just talking about my personal experience with 1950's era ammo with poor quality brass and split case necks.
    I was shooting milsurp ammo from the 50s that I think was Bulgarian that a certain moderator (ahem! :D) gave me to shoot in it at one of the MDShooters' shoots a year or two ago. I noticed too late that a large number of the case necks broke and/or fragmented somewhere between firing and ejection. It was just one that fragmented which had a piece of brass get stuck between one locking roller and the slide.
    What happened is that I had a seriously jammed CZ52 and during the process of trying to figure out what was wrong the slide was forced just enough back and forth to probably damage the roller bearing and/or the slide the channel.
    Ever since I have not trusted that barrel assembly until I change the bearings out of fear of damaging the slide's bearing channel beyond acceptable levels.

Good thing though that I had both a replacement 9mm barrel, another CZ52 and if needed pre-purchased replacement bearings from many years ago on hand. But in any case, I will try to stick to only Czech commercial ammo in my CZ 52s.

The problem of the fragmented brass would not be nearly as much of an issue with a Tokarev, so I would fire such ammo in it in the future, but the Polish ammo with cracked case necks seems like a different problem than the Bulgarian so I would trust my Polish ammo in my Tok any day at this point.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    It has nothing to do with the myth about the CZ52 being weaker, but rather it has to do with shrapnel getting stuck in the roller bearings.

Personally I believe the CZ52 can handle stronger ammo and supposedly the Czech ammo WAS stronger. I am just talking about my personal experience with 1950's era ammo with poor quality brass and split case necks.
    I was shooting milsurp ammo from the 50s that I think was Bulgarian that a certain moderator (ahem! :D) gave me to shoot in it at one of the MDShooters' shoots a year or two ago. I noticed too late that a large number of the case necks broke and/or fragmented somewhere between firing and ejection. It was just one that fragmented which had a piece of brass get stuck between one locking roller and the slide.
    What happened is that I had a seriously jammed CZ52 and during the process of trying to figure out what was wrong the slide was forced just enough back and forth to probably damage the roller bearing and/or the slide the channel.
    Ever since I have not trusted that barrel assembly until I change the bearings out of fear of damaging the slide's bearing channel beyond acceptable levels.

Good thing though that I had both a replacement 9mm barrel, another CZ52 and if needed pre-purchased replacement bearings from many years ago on hand. But in any case, I will try to stick to only Czech commercial ammo in my CZ 52s.

The problem of the fragmented brass would not be nearly as much of an issue with a Tokarev, so I would fire such ammo in it in the future, but the Polish ammo with cracked case necks seems like a different problem than the Bulgarian so I would trust my Polish ammo in my Tok any day at this point.

Hmmm, Thats good to know. I have not heard of that happening. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I have been shooting Romanian 80's era and Wolf H.P.in my CZ. It has been uber reliable and fairly accurate. I purchased come Czech ammo on stripppers a while back and it is far louder and more accurate then the Romanian. The only problem is that the primers are very hard and I get about 10% FTF that go off on the second hammer drop.
    This week I got a small order (1 box each) of 80's Yugo and 50's Polish. The Yugo ammo looks brand new and the Polish is a little dark but has no apparent cracks.
    I got them because I wanted to check them for reliability and also to see if they might be more accurate then the Romanian ammo. I found when shooting the Czech ammo that my groups shrunk by half but the reliability is a problem for me. It seems my CZ prefers the hotter ammo. I'll post results in this thread after my next range trip.
    Note: after examining the 4 milsurp ammo samples I thought it was interesting that they are all crimped different ways. The Romanian has "dot" crimps, the Polish has 4 small indentations at the case mouth, the Czech and Yugo appear to have no crimp at all.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Ah Ha! Thanks Novus, I wasn't thinking about the rollers, and how pieces of the casing could lodge in the rollers. :thumbsup:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hmmm, Thats good to know. I have not heard of that happening. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I have been shooting Romanian 80's era and Wolf H.P.in my CZ. It has been uber reliable and fairly accurate. I purchased come Czech ammo on stripppers a while back and it is far louder and more accurate then the Romanian. The only problem is that the primers are very hard and I get about 10% FTF that go off on the second hammer drop.
    This week I got a small order (1 box each) of 80's Yugo and 50's Polish. The Yugo ammo looks brand new and the Polish is a little dark but has no apparent cracks.
    I got them because I wanted to check them for reliability and also to see if they might be more accurate then the Romanian ammo. I found when shooting the Czech ammo that my groups shrunk by half but the reliability is a problem for me. It seems my CZ prefers the hotter ammo. I'll post results in this thread after my next range trip.
    Note: after examining the 4 milsurp ammo samples I thought it was interesting that they are all crimped different ways. The Romanian has "dot" crimps, the Polish has 4 small indentations at the case mouth, the Czech and Yugo appear to have no crimp at all.

Sellier & Bellot is commercial Czech ammo and I have chronied it to be the hottest so far. My CZ52 does exellent with S&B ammo.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sellier & Bellot is commercial Czech ammo and I have chronied it to be the hottest so far. My CZ52 does exellent with S&B ammo.

Interesting. I have not found any S&B 7.62x25 since I've had the gun. What did it chrono? I assume it's non-corrosive..Is that true?
    Have you chronied any mil-surp?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Interesting. I have not found any S&B 7.62x25 since I've had the gun. What did it chrono? I assume it's non-corrosive..Is that true?
    Have you chronied any mil-surp?
    This is old memory so there are a lot of gaps, but.....

It has been a while and so long I forget what country or countries milsurp I chronied, but I seem to recall it was in the 1,300-1,400 fps range (unknown bullet weight).
    I think I chronied Wolf and was underimpressed (1,400? fps) or read online that is what others got and I did chrony some of Quality Cartridge custom rounds (mostly as advertised with the 110 grain soft point at I think about 1,300 fps).
    I also Chronied 85 gr hollow point from a company called FNM (Municoes de armas ligeriras) which I think is Portugeuse made. It was anemic and I think about 1,350 or 1,400 fps.
    The S&B has the same 85 gr bullet wieght as Wolf but the S&B chronied 1,550 fps average, I think one or two came out at 1,600 fps. :party29:

You can still find S&B online, but it has literally doubled in price in the past two or so years. It used to be super cheap at about $9.50 a box but was going for about $18 a box last I looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom