• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    I do hope that AAFG expands, I was lucky to get into one match when there was still snow on the ground. Great group down there, it was my first match ever and they were extremely helpful. I've more recently shot the USPSA and Fun Shoot at York IWLA and it was AWESOME. Very well organized and it ran smoothly. Even though I will still shoot both IDPA and USPSA, USPSA is my favorite so far. It's fast, with some great COF's.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I do hope that AAFG expands, I was lucky to get into one match when there was still snow on the ground. Great group down there, it was my first match ever and they were extremely helpful. I've more recently shot the USPSA and Fun Shoot at York IWLA and it was AWESOME. Very well organized and it ran smoothly. Even though I will still shoot both IDPA and USPSA, USPSA is my favorite so far. It's fast, with some great COF's.

Yeah, I was looking at some USPSA shooting since I can't find any IDPA. I shoot a single stack, so am a significant disadvantage if there's not a special category for SS pistols.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I shoot "Single Stack" in USPSA. I've done it with a .45, and a 9mm, and will do it with a .40 when my 7 days are up.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    You can in Limited 10, but in that division you reload a lot, and you'll be competing against people with double stack guns who reload easier.

In "Single Stack" you load 8+1 for .40 and .45, 10+1 for 9mm.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Down in St Marys (Sanners Lake) we have IDPA at least twice a month. It's a bit of the drive, but i think is well worth it. Get a couple of shooters to go with you and carpool. Meet some of the SOMD crowd. Let me know, post on the Souther section and im sure a couple of guys will show up and we can go have a beer afterwards. :)

If we could :sad20:

P.S. For more info on the club, google sanners lake. IDPA is open to the public.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I know it's not intended to simulate defensive shooting the way IDPA is, but would you get weird looks showing up to a USPSA match with an IWB holster and a compact gun?

I just bought an M&P9c for carry out of state (picking it up from Gun Connection a week from today :D) and am planning on getting a Minotaur holster to go with it. After the significant investment of a carry rig, I'm not exactly looking to spend the money on another holster unless I'm sure I'll be using it often.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I know it's not intended to simulate defensive shooting the way IDPA is, but would you get weird looks showing up to a USPSA match with an IWB holster and a compact gun?

I just bought an M&P9c for carry out of state (picking it up from Gun Connection a week from today :D) and am planning on getting a Minotaur holster to go with it. After the significant investment of a carry rig, I'm not exactly looking to spend the money on another holster unless I'm sure I'll be using it often.

You'll be fine at a USPSA match with your carry gear.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    That, and if you're using IDPA as carry practice, you're paying too much for the quality of the training.

Regardless of intention and advertising, its a game just like IPSC.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    That, and if you're using IDPA as carry practice, you're paying too much for the quality of the training.

Regardless of intention and advertising, its a game just like IPSC.

I know that, but I thought the IDPDA tried to act like their shooting is more practical (ie: concealment garments, etc.). I'm under no illusions that either is a substitute for real defensive training.

I know that, but I thought the IDPDA tried to act like their shooting is more practical (ie: concealment garments, etc.). I'm under no illusions that either is a substitute for real defensive training.

IDPA is more geared to how to go about your daily life armed. Not to criticize IPSC - but slicing the pie beats jumping into a doorway all day long in my book. THey are both good sports and you get out of it what you put into it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    In in the Safety Officers course, today at AAFG. From my several visits trying to simply get into an IDPA shoot, this is the only way to improve my odds of getting a slot.

With persistence, I was able to get into a 3-gun shoot recently, and that was fun, met a lot of really great (and armed) folks.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Good luck! I will be one of the SO's.
    /d

Ha ha! I was the guy with the gray goatee and the dark blue vest...(too hot, but I didn't have anything else).

I didn't do well shooting...only got one "call" for a muzzle pointed up during a reload. Fortunately I didn't have my finger in the trigger guard, but no body could see that...not that it matters...arguing would be pointless. That rattled me and I shot ever worse.

In spite of my misgivings it was a good time. Thanks for helping us newbies get into the sport. I'll be back.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    You'll have to get used to the "muzzle" calls during the reloads. I'm not a big fan of them, but it is in the safety briefing and the SOs are told to watch for it.

If you're doing the reload properly (i.e. the quickest way), your muzzle is going to be pointed over the berm. The SO can see your finger (or should be able to) outside of the trigger guard. What the other shooters see doesn't matter.

As for your vest being too hot, I have the same problem with a black 5.11 vest.
    My solution = take if off when you're not shooting.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Rob, your experience is vast compared to my one-time-out. I'm going to shape up, get in line and do as I'm told. The muzzle call was from a SO in the group who was also shooting and not the one with the timer who's line of sight was blocked by my head. He may have seen my finger was outside the guard.

Someone pointed out that I was shooting left to right when I had a choice of the opposite where I would have had less contact with the cover as a right-hander and be less likely to raise the gun. With time and experience I'll find things wrong with the sport, but for now I'm going to conform.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    For clarity, it wasn't the sport I was speaking of. Each range has their own unique rules. Only a few give calls for high muzzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom