• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Anyone hunt upland at McKee Beshers? Any wild birds there?

I know some organizations do hunt tests so there might be a few birds left over.

Has anyone ever stocked their own birds in the training fields? Lots of competition or could I take some buddies and a few dozen chucker/quail and do my own preserve hunt on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've never seen any upland there in my scouting trips, the state stopped stocking back in the 1960s and the edge-to-edge farming techniques and taking of the entire plant down to the ground for silage have pretty much destroyed the upland habitat where chuckar, quail, and pheasant are concerned. You *might* have luck doing your own stock-and-shoot, but I'd make sure it was on a week day to minimize interference from everyone hunting deer there.

It's a pretty heavily pressured area. The sunflower fields get hammered for dove season, and the flooded fields get just as hammered for puddle ducks. I've heard it described as "lead rain: on the dove opener and was told that if I go there for dove, I should take a boonie-type hat to keep the birdshot from rolling down my shirt. Not saying it's *not* worth a try. There's a lot of acreage out there, so it could work well. I'd just make sure to do a really good scouting trip before committing.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You can do dog training there with live birds, but trying to do an actual preserve type hunt would probably be tricky, since anyone can show up and use the field just like you.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    It's illegal to release birds unless you are have a regulated shooting area permit. The only exceptions to that are for dog training and field trials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom