• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Due to the Remington XMP trigger recall program I was told to return my model 700 .308 varmint to Remington for inspection. When they sent me a prepaid box and UPS label I took it to the nearest UPS location and sent it off. It made it as far as West Chester,Pa and vanished! UPS has no idea where it is and said they are launching an investigation. IN the opinion of the members here, should i contact Pa state police now, or wait until the investigation at UPS is over?

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I always cringe when I have to ship a firearm. For me, a trigger recall is no reason to send it back. I would have just upgraded to an aftermarket trigger myself. Hopefully you get it back.

I would alert Maryland State Police immediately.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Sorry, I should have added that i am a Maryland resident. I just do most of my business in Pa. I spoke to an officer for the town i work for and he said I would most likely have to contact Pa state police instead of MSP. I just don't want to wait to report something too long if I should do it as soon as possable.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd call them,... maybe the ATF too. Speak with someone in the borough up there too while you are at it.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    How long has it been missing? UPS has a tendency to temporarily lose things.

This. A couple of times, the tracking has been off and the package magically shows up a few days later. Phone support doesn't seem to know any more than the customer.

That said, I'd start by contacting the MSP and BATFE and at least ask about how to file a report.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Even though it went missing in PA I would report it to the MSP to play CYA. There is no sense in giving the MSP an opportunity to mess with you.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    thanks for the advice guys. they lost track of it 5/22/14 but i didnt find out until 6/1/14. i will just start calling everyone i can think of.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Report it to the MSP, and then report it to the BATFE.

My understanding is that the BATFE is good at putting the fear of G-d into carriers, and helping them "find" lost packages.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Curious - was the name "Remington" on the label?

When I've purchased bullion coins, the company I buy from ships them using a bogus company name like "Acme Bolts".

You'd think that gun manufacturers would catch on to this idea, wouldn't you? I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the firearms stolen in transit had a well-known gun manufacturers' name printed on the label.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    they don,t have it..... and ups still cant find it. it did not say anything about guns or anything like that on the label or the box. but.... if you were in the know it was pretty easy to figure out that a rifle would fit in it. BATFE and MSP will be called today.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If it were me, I would call BATFE, MSP, and the Pennsylvania Stat Police, in that order. I assume that the Pennsylvania State Police need to get involved since it was last tracked to West Chester, PA.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Regarding that trigger recall, why not just drop in a Timney or Jewell trigger? Seems to me that it would be far less of a pain in the ass, and you'd probably have a better trigger in the end.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    true about the trigger.... however i just bought my first home and do not have alot of extra cash right now. safety was my first concern and i wanted to make sure the rifle was safe to shoot around others at the range. msp said that pa state police would have to deal with it. so im ok with them.... still waiting to hear from batfe

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I'd call them,... maybe the ATF too. Speak with someone in the borough up there too while you are at it.

This. A couple of times, the tracking has been off and the package magically shows up a few days later. Phone support doesn't seem to know any more than the customer.

That said, I'd start by contacting the MSP and BATFE and at least ask about how to file a report.

The loss should be reported to the jurisdiction in which the loss/theft occurred, be it PASP or a local Dept.. ATF won't take such reports directly from citizens. It should actually be up to UPS to report the theft since they had custodial charge of the firearm at the time of loss.

I would note, as has been said, UPS does often "temporarily misplace" packages at times. It may pop back up in the system for delivery.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    true about the trigger.... however i just bought my first home and do not have alot of extra cash right now. safety was my first concern and i wanted to make sure the rifle was safe to shoot around others at the range. msp said that pa state police would have to deal with it. so im ok with them.... still waiting to hear from batfe
    Fair enough. A friend of mine is going through the same thing with his rifle, and he decided he's simply going to keep it as is for now - he's not going to mess with the rigmarole of sending it back. In his case, he's building a tactical rifle, and has already thrown some pretty serious bucks at it:

McMillan A4 stock
    Bottom metal (?? Something to do with the detachable mag)
    Schneider barrel

He's currently shopping options for glass, and when he has the Schneider barrel installed he'll have it blueprinted and colored - probably with Cerakote.

In any case, with so much extra cash thrown at his tactical rifle project, I was curious that he didn't also drop in an aftermarket trigger.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I expect this from FEDEX. Not UPS.

Did you insure the crap out of it for full value?

UPS is good up to 100 dollars.

The rest of the value is on the person shipping the item.

Hope you find it.

PS: One student dead in Oregon school shooting. Almost a weekly occurrence at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom