• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Started off the year with the goal of finding a US Navy High Standard Model B-US. Found a couple but kept getting out bid. Then this rare Model A came along on Gun Broker with a mid-day ending. Bidding was modest and I was able to throw a bid at it during my lunch break. There was no counter so I got it on the cheap.
    -Only 7300 Model As were built from 1938 to 1942. It differs from the Model B in that it has a longer grip that is parallel to the centerline of the barrel, adjustable rear sight and automatic slide hold open.
    -According to author Bill Jenkins the number of Model As sold to the US Government is believed to be 57. Those have the "US PROPERTY" stamp and may or may not have the crossed cannon stamp.
    -There were very small numbers of Model As sold to the US Navy and Coast Guard in both the more common 4.5" and scarcer 6.75" barrel versions. Mine is "USN" marked on the right side of the frame and sports the 6.75" barrel.
    -Try as I might, I couldn't find a sale of a Navy Model A online (or any other US Property Model A). Very much like my recent Star A Carbine. Bill Jenkins owns a USN Model D with an earlier SN built a year earlier in '41, a unique rear sight and the same 6.75" barrel. His was documented as being used by Navy instructor and looks to be a one-off. Thinking mine might be along the similar lines, not part of a batch purchase.

Attachments

• IMGP0303.JPG
      IMGP0303.JPG
      259.3 KB · Views: 34
    • IMGP0304.JPG
      IMGP0304.JPG
      209.3 KB · Views: 34
    • IMGP0305.JPG
      IMGP0305.JPG
      257.9 KB · Views: 33
    • IMGP0306.JPG
      IMGP0306.JPG
      235.5 KB · Views: 35
    • IMGP0307.JPG
      IMGP0307.JPG
      303.8 KB · Views: 36

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    mawkie, will you fire this?
    The bore is in VG condition, no reason not to if I'm inclined. Lately I've been focused on getting a poorly treated HS Victor back to reliable shooting condition. That was the HS of my youth that I always wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom