• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    Anybody on here own a Volquartsen Black Mamba? I've had a Ruger MKIV 22/45 for years now that I really like, however, I'm looking for something more as my main .22 pistol. I looked into putting VQ parts on my current gun, but after the accurizing kit, upper, and bolt, you're looking at around $1000. A new factory Black Mamba can be had for $1300-1400...

For those that own one, are they really worth the premium? Do you have the 4.5" or the 6"?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Anybody on here own a Volquartsen Black Mamba? I've had a Ruger MKIV 22/45 for years now that I really like, however, I'm looking for something more as my main .22 pistol. I looked into putting VQ parts on my current gun, but after the accurizing kit, upper, and bolt, you're looking at around $1000. A new factory Black Mamba can be had for $1300-1400...

For those that own one, are they really worth the premium? Do you have the 4.5" or the 6"?
    Don't own one. I've shot several of the volquartsen pistols belonging to others. They are VERY nice and worth the coin in my opinion. I just prefer high standards and smith 41s or 2206s.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I have the 6" version and absolutely love it. It eats every type of ammo I have tried, is easy to clean and pleasant to shoot. My son and I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it for steel challenge and we like it so much we want to buy a second one.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I’ve been shooting steel Challenge with a scorpion for years. Mamba wasn’t out when I bought it. my next will be a mamba x. I like the look and balance of the 6”.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I just bought a 6" and shoot it every time I head to camp. It is a blast to shoot, accurate and I shoot it suppressed. It is my favorite handgun!

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    Thanks for the replies everybody! I just bought a 4.5" Black Mamba (model VF4M‑0026). I went back and forth between the 4.5" and 6" for a while, but I figured since a suppressor will live on the end, I might as well go with the shorter upper. I can always pick up the 6" down the road if I shoot comps.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You won't be dissapointed! I have no issue with the 6" length and using a dedicated 22 can. Mine is a form 1 (similar to an old Gemtech Alpine), but it is 1"od, about 6"oal, direct thread and honestly, you barely know it's on there except for the lengthened upper lol. It weighs next to nothing as it is aluminum baffles and a titanium tube.

It runs on everything I have tried except CCI Quiets. I just ordered a lower weight spring from Volq to see if that makes much of a difference when shooting subsonic (mostly what it gets fed). Lately it has been grazing on CCI Quiet semi-auto (835fps) with no issues.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'd imagine any dealer can get you one. Reach out to one or two of the MDS supporters and see what they say. I ordered mine directly from Volquartsen and it had a roundabout journey (long story, ffl moved shipping address was wrong), but Scott Volquartsen himself helped get things right. Great company to deal with imo.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    IMG_0999.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Very freaking cool! Did it come with that bolt?
    Yes. Volquartsen makes the DLC coated bolts for Rugers and the Smith 15-22. They just ran a competition using 4 suppressed 22's, all running dry with several thousand rounds over a weekend with zero ftf (CCI std vel ammo). The bolt coating is slick enough to run a rimfire pistol dry, which suppressed equals far less gunk buildup in the action.

I'd consider getting one for my 15-22, but they ain't cheap! :lol2:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Yes. Volquartsen makes the DLC coated bolts for Rugers and the Smith 15-22. They just ran a competition using 4 suppressed 22's, all running dry with several thousand rounds over a weekend with zero ftf (CCI std vel ammo). The bolt coating is slick enough to run a rimfire pistol dry, which suppressed equals far less gunk buildup in the action.

I'd consider getting one for my 15-22, but they ain't cheap! :lol2:
    Good to know! I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. Expensive little bugger!
    IMG_3877.png

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Good to know! I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. Expensive little bugger!
    View attachment 469980
    Very nice!! :party29:

That is one of the reasons, like the OP, that I chose to just bite the bullet and go Volq, rather than buy a MKIV and trick it out... I'll still mess with it a bit, already installed the lower power spring, modified their grip and holster so I can actually holster it (had to remove the thumb shelf, but with the target grip it didn't work as well as with the std grip panels anyway). Always tweaking.... :innocent0

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

That is one of the reasons, like the OP, that I chose to just bite the bullet and go Volq, rather than buy a MKIV and trick it out... I'll still mess with it a bit, already installed the lower power spring, modified their grip and holster so I can actually holster it (had to remove the thumb shelf, but with the target grip it didn't work as well as with the std grip panels anyway). Always tweaking.... :innocent0
    yeah, had I known that I was going to do the trigger and the bolt, I might’ve just gotten the BM.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021

Yeah it's really quite odd when you look at the pricing. You'd think it would be cheaper to customize it yourself as is the case with most other builds. Assuming you don't have a Mark IV already, it actually costs MORE to build one up (only slightly), but then you have a second upper assembly.

I'd go the DIY route, but money saved is money saved and I really won't have a need for my Ruger once my Mamba comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom