• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    (please remove if this kind of post is not allowed)

I am actively searching for a property on the eastern shore or southern Maryland to lease for hunting.

I am on the usual Facebook groups to try to track opportunities, but wanted to post on here too since I think a lot of properties are never publicly posted. Since I have been a (hopefully) helpful contributor to this forum for over a decade, giving even more than I have received in terms of advice, so I'm hoping a virtual friend on here may have some information about a property that may become open.

Property Type:
    I'm hoping to find a property where I can hunt ducks, geese, deer and turkey. The latter two are "nice to have" but not essential. The ability to launch a boat to fish and crab would be the ultimate trifecta. Anywhere on the eastern shore within ~60 minutes of the Bay Bridge would work. For example, I love Cambridge and the necks district in Dorchester. My current hunting location is in St. Mary's and I've come to appreciate buffleheads...but some other duck options would be nice :)

About me:
    A rule I live by: one's reputation takes a lifetime to build and a second to lose. I take that very seriously, especially with hunting/fishing/shooting sports. So I prioritize ethics and responsibility in everything I do. I take care of my family as a respectable husband, father and leader first.

Second, I am an avid outdoorsman. I work hard to provide for myself and family all week, and I hunt, fish and/or work with my hunting dog almost every weekend. The past few years I've averaged 30+ days hunting and 20+ days fishing and crabbing. I use my vacation time to go hunting and fishing. I have two young sons who I am slowly introducing to the great outdoors and they love it. They both got lifetime hunting licenses at age 3.

I volunteer multiple weekends a year to conservation organizations and am willing to invest both a reasonable fee and "sweat equity" if a property is available. I can provide references.

Thanks in advance for any possible leads or tips. Feel free to direct message me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    (please remove if this kind of post is not allowed)

I am actively searching for a property on the eastern shore or southern Maryland to lease for hunting.

I am on the usual Facebook groups to try to track opportunities, but wanted to post on here too since I think a lot of properties are never publicly posted. Since I have been a (hopefully) helpful contributor to this forum for over a decade, giving even more than I have received in terms of advice, so I'm hoping a virtual friend on here may have some information about a property that may become open.

Property Type:
    I'm hoping to find a property where I can hunt ducks, geese, deer and turkey. The latter two are "nice to have" but not essential. The ability to launch a boat to fish and crab would be the ultimate trifecta. Anywhere on the eastern shore within ~60 minutes of the Bay Bridge would work. For example, I love Cambridge and the necks district in Dorchester. My current hunting location is in St. Mary's and I've come to appreciate buffleheads...but some other duck options would be nice :)

About me:
    A rule I live by: one's reputation takes a lifetime to build and a second to lose. I take that very seriously, especially with hunting/fishing/shooting sports. So I prioritize ethics and responsibility in everything I do. I take care of my family as a respectable husband, father and leader first.

Second, I am an avid outdoorsman. I work hard to provide for myself and family all week, and I hunt, fish and/or work with my hunting dog almost every weekend. The past few years I've averaged 30+ days hunting and 20+ days fishing and crabbing. I use my vacation time to go hunting and fishing. I have two young sons who I am slowly introducing to the great outdoors and they love it. They both got lifetime hunting licenses at age 3.

I volunteer multiple weekends a year to conservation organizations and am willing to invest both a reasonable fee and "sweat equity" if a property is available. I can provide references.

Thanks in advance for any possible leads or tips. Feel free to direct message me.

If I hear of anyone wanting to pick up a new member for a lease Ill let you know. Every once in a while I hear that very same thing. 'Hey do you know someone....."
    Sometimes, its not about what you lease its who you get to know /become friends with.
    You may get in with bunch and find a buddy who has the same interest you have but cant always find a mate to press on with for say waterfowl, but his buddy has a family member or friend who knows- owns, and so on.

Every so often I get an opportunity to have a crack at some more land but it usually happens quickly and because of the cost it catches people off guard when it becomes available so I never act on it or take the steps to get a few together to make it happen.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you find anything in St Mary's, I would also be interested. Just for deer and turkeys, though.

I've asked every single hunter, shooter and friend I've met here in the last ten years, and never actually heard of a property open to lease. It's crazy how hard it is to find land.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    There are some big outfits buying up the leases, also as I said in another thread we are leery of even taking new people hunting due to being burned in the past, I have had at least 2 acquaintances recently that have lost leases to people offering way more money for them. We have gotten a few new members but it was only after vetting them hard and only taking them to our locked up properties first. In the past we have even lost properties to so called friends. Its hard and I don't know what I would do if my buddy didn't work his butt off for the properties we have. We have also started pooling our money to buy property just because if you lease it you can lose it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There are some big outfits buying up the leases, also as I said in another thread we are leery of even taking new people hunting due to being burned in the past, I have had at least 2 acquaintances recently that have lost leases to people offering way more money for them. We have gotten a few new members but it was only after vetting them hard and only taking them to our locked up properties first. In the past we have even lost properties to so called friends. Its hard and I don't know what I would do if my buddy didn't work his butt off for the properties we have. We have also started pooling our money to buy property just because if you lease it you can lose it.

Sucks when you have to have somebody sign a non-compete when it comes to a hunting lease.

Eventually, I want to buy my own property here in Carroll to hunt on. Then, a property in the Carolinas somewhere as the kids are wrapping up college.

Best laid plans of mice and men.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the replies! Please keep me in mind if you hear of anything I try to check this forum once a week or so and I get emails from any PMs.

I've heard about and noticed the activity of the large outfits and how that makes people understandably weary of showing properties or leasing to unknown people. Driving around looking at parcels, I've seen some very large programs where a single entity has miles and miles of property. I'm definitely not looking for any sort of hunting business venture or anything remotely like that...I just want a place to go hunting and fishing with my sons and some old friends/new friends. I can provide references from the organizations I've participated in for the past ten years to validate my good intentions. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom