• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    To sight a .22LR bolt gun in at? I am basically plinking, trying to shoot out the centers of some targets. I am shooting places like Hap Baker, where I can go from 25 yards out to 100 yards.

Ammo is either Federal 711B or SK Standard Plus. The scope is a Simmons 3-9x40 I believe. (I haven't paid attention to the markings on the scope in a while.)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why not split the distance and go for 50?

I just casually plink, bulk ammo, cheaper scopes.

I'm zeroed for 100 myself, but that's just my preference.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    for a 38 grain bulk ammo at around 1200 fps

I zero at 50 yards as well. You will also intersect at 18 yards and shoot low 4.2" at 100 yards.

if you shoot with Brad.. zero at 100 :)

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Since I shoot steel at 100 yards, at Marriottsville AGC most of the time, I zero at 100 yards. For squirrel hunting... I re-zero my Kimber at 50 yards. When I shoot steel at the 200 yard range --- I zero my 22 at 200 yards.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Personal preference

I have guns set at 50 yards and guns set at 100 yards

It is not that hard to re zero a 22 for different distances at the range

I just keep notes as to were the scope is set for different distances

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I keep mine at 50 and adjust as needed. I have learned the ammo that I use and the scope adjustments needed for the distance Im shooting. I always start at 50 as a baseline though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Assuming that you will be using it in the field at various distances rather that only at specific firing points at 50 and 100yds.

Take another set of assumptions putting priority of quick hits on small targets at short to medium distances , and long shots will alow a second or two to think about holdover.

It is a good thing to minimize holding over/ under , and to be consistant and predictable applying.

A 50yd zero leaves you having to hold low for most shots. 25yd leaves you worrying about is it 22yds or 29yds.

*For my set of assumptions* , when I'm expecting to hit somthing small like a specific letter on a soda can , or the head of squirel , it will be within 35 or so yards , and an inch or two of elevtion error is a big thing. At 75-ish yds will be shooting at a larger target , and an inch or two of elevation wouls still more or less be within my aceptable hitting zone.

37 came about by accident when my round bale was 37yds from paddock fence , and I liked that zero. Crunching the numbers in ballistic program convinced me I was on to.a good thing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    for a 38 grain bulk ammo at around 1200 fps

I zero at 50 yards as well. You will also intersect at 18 yards and shoot low 4.2" at 100 yards.

if you shoot with Brad.. zero at 100 :)

That applies to handguns as well. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom