• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Today at the range I was testing my first 30-06 reloads for my garand. The first 15 rounds went flawlessly with number 16 being trouble. The primer was struck hard with a perfect dimple, but the powder did not burn. The bullet moved into the rifling, though not far (chamber flag won't go in).

Brass: HXP full length resized, trimmed and tumbled (in that order)
    Primer: CCI 200 large rifle
    Powder: 44.5 grains of H 4895
    Bullet: Sierra MatchKing 150 grain

Any ideas of what went wrong? All the powder was still in good stick form (and now stuck to my garand)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Is it possible that one cartridge was grossly undercharged, maybe with just a few grains of powder, so that once the bullet left the cartridge and the pressure dropped significantly, the grains stopped burning?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Is it possible that one cartridge was grossly undercharged, maybe with just a few grains of powder, so that once the bullet left the cartridge and the pressure dropped significantly, the grains stopped burning?

From the pics I saw there was a good amount of powder left in the barrel. Enough that it wasn't an undercharged round. The only thing I've come up with so far is possible neck tension bullet set back problems?

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    I'll agree possible neck tension issue, and add perhaps a bad primer, not enough "oomph" to ignite the powder? Did your primers perhaps get wet or have condensation?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Would a weak primer be enough to lodge the bullet in the barrell? Seems like one strong enough to do that should ignite the powder.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Just a shot in the dark, sizing lube or anything oil based inside the case,primer may have had oil on it, any kind of Contamination via oil. Improper charge,neck tension on bullet or as mentioned media in the hole.

-Mike

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Would a weak primer be enough to lodge the bullet in the barrell? Seems like one strong enough to do that should ignite the powder.

I took my long 30 cal cleaning rod and barely tapped the bullet. It slid out. No pushing, no brute force. Practically gravity.

Timberwolf

.338'er
    Feb 27, 2010
    This Solar System
    No powder.

A squib.

The primer has enough bristance to for the bullet into the chamber.

Weight the remaining loaded ammo and if you see a 40 gr (approx) difference, pull the bullet.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I bought 2000 CCI200 primers at the frederick gun show in 2007.
    I have had literally a 100 hang fires and multiple no ignition with these.
    I have 900 left and only use them to fireform and foul clean barrels.

I have other CCI BR,41,34,450 and never had a problem.

I personally wont use 200's anymore.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I bought 2000 CCI200 primers at the frederick gun show in 2007.
    I have had literally a 100 hang fires and multiple no ignition with these.
    I have 900 left and only use them to fireform and foul clean barrels.

I have other CCI BR,41,34,450 and never had a problem.

I personally wont use 200's anymore.

I think maybe you got a bad box that wasn't proper;y stored. I've never had a single issue and I've been through about 800 so far in my box of 1k.

Back to Blindnoodle's issue, he's tumbling after resizing so I don't think it's a contamination issue. Media in the flash hole could possibly be a cuase. How undercharged would a round have to be to cause this? Definitely not a squib because of the amount of powder strewn down the barrell.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I think it was probably as was stated before tumbling media or something clogging the flash hole.
    If the primer was bad, the bullet wouldnt have left the case, it sounds like there was plenty of powder s you are now cleaning it out of the action, and I assume the powder is OK as it is the same powder that worked well in your other rounds.
    Not enough case tension would lower pressure but not to the point that the bullet barely leaves the chamber and the powder would burn just not efficiently.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    No powder.

A squib.

The primer has enough bristance to for the bullet into the chamber.

Weight the remaining loaded ammo and if you see a 40 gr (approx) difference, pull the bullet.

Re-read the OP. There was powder.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Primer pockets are cleaned after tumbling. I break a skewer to fit through the flash hole then I sit and poke it through every flash hole before cleaning the pocket.

There was powder in the case, and a lot of it. I was cleaning it off every greased part of the receiver last night.

hmmm

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    In that case I'd definitely say the primer was your issue. Either contaminated or bad, probabaly just enough power to push the bullet out but not enough heat/flash to burn the powder.

How large was your primer purchase and how many have you used? (2K bought, 100 used? etc.)

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    In that case I'd definitely say the primer was your issue. Either contaminated or bad, probabaly just enough power to push the bullet out but not enough heat/flash to burn the powder.

How large was your primer purchase and how many have you used? (2K bought, 100 used? etc.)

3k bought, 16 fired :lol2:

484 more loaded into cases.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    oooh. Definitely pay attention to how they shoot.
    I take it you have 500 from the same box left? If so, open a few trays and compare them to primers from the other boxes and any other primers you have. If they are contaminated they will probably be off-color.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    it sounds like you had powder contamination. some kind of water or oil in the case.

The primer did fire with enough pressure to push the bullet into the barrel.

If the primer was bad or the flash hole was obstructed there wouldn't be enough pressure to push the bullet out.

if the primer went off with that much pressure it would have light off good powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom