What Happens When You Try to Buy a Handgun Not on the Roster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    There seems to be much confusion in the retail stores in this state about the handgun roster, and I'm curious if MSP is enforcing the roster.

This has happened to me twice now. One gun shop says they can't sell me a handgun because it's not on the roster. Then 10 miles away another gun shop is advertising the EXACT same gun for sale which I purchase no problem. My question is, will MSP flag the purchase of a non-approved gun and deny the purchase?

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The FFL will be unable to transfer it to the buyer. You may be able to get it added to the handgun roster. If not, it is up to the holding FFL and the source FFL what to do. Best case scenario, the holding FFL will send it back to the sending FFL who will refund the buyer's money. All they will be out is the shipping.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    There seems to be much confusion in the retail stores in this state about the handgun roster, and I'm curious if MSP is enforcing the roster.

This has happened to me twice now. One gun shop says they can't sell me a handgun because it's not on the roster. Then 10 miles away another gun shop is advertising the EXACT same gun for sale which I purchase no problem. My question is, will MSP flag the purchase of a non-approved gun and deny the purchase?

They should but if they miss it, MD will try and find a way to blame it on you.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    It's been many years, but KeepShooting had one of the guns I bought added to the roster. They had to ship my gun to the board in order for it to be added. Not a big deal for a modern gun, but one heck of a delay.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    The confusion seems to be with the store. One store says you can't, but another store has happily taken my money and I get the gun (after 7 days of course). No need for me to submit it to the board because I got the gun both times.

My thinking is that the gun WAS on the roster after all (else MSP would say NO), and the store that didn't want my money was mistaken. You'd think a business would figure this out.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I waited about a year to get one of mine on the roster. It doesn't generally take that long but that particular had a technical glitch with a magazine mix up so it sat for a while.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    If it's not in the roster submit it to be added, will it be instant? No but it will keep you from being knee deep in shit if it happens to be used for anything but plinking.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The confusion seems to be with the store. One store says you can't, but another store has happily taken my money and I get the gun (after 7 days of course). No need for me to submit it to the board because I got the gun both times.

My thinking is that the gun WAS on the roster after all (else MSP would say NO), and the store that didn't want my money was mistaken. You'd think a business would figure this out.

I've run into this. Sometimes you have to educate the store. If they won't listen, I explain to them that they just lost a customer for life. I don't have time for stupidity or stubbornness.

Gun shop #1 didn't find it on the roster in their personally allocated search time so they simply said it wasn't on the roster. I have had to do some digging to find things- especially if they're manufactured by a foreign company and imported by a US company.
    A friend just went through this with an AP5 (Turkish MP5 clone made by MKE). It is on the roster, but you have to find it under "MKE (Century Arms)". Century Arms is the importer and it is sold in the US as a Century Arms AP5. It is not on the roster under Century Arms, it had to be looked up under MKE.
    Bottom line, the MSP handgun roster can be tricky to search.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

A store that doesn’t realize it’s Not on the roster is what I’ve found to be more often. So they fill out the 77r with what they think is correct and thus the gun is approved. The ones I remember recently was the Glock 40 gen 5 and the sig 365 xmacro that some local stores fudged up.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Gun shop #1 didn't find it on the roster in their personally allocated search time so they simply said it wasn't on the roster. I have had to do some digging to find things- especially if they're manufactured by a foreign company and imported by a US company.
    A friend just went through this with an AP5 (Turkish MP5 clone made by MKE). It is on the roster, but you have to find it under "MKE (Century Arms)". Century Arms is the importer and it is sold in the US as a Century Arms AP5. It is not on the roster under Century Arms, it had to be looked up under MKE.
    True. This does also happen

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I had a handgun shipped to FFL which is on the roster, and was denied day #7 because MSP said it wasn't on roster. So they do check, and when they get it wrong make you wait another seven days.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I had a handgun shipped to FFL which is on the roster, and was denied day #7 because MSP said it wasn't on roster. So they do check, and when they get it wrong make you wait another seven days.
    Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. If it’s not on the roster, MSP will deny it. Even if they mess it up

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Possibility #1 ‐ It's on the Roster , but it's confusing as to how it's listed as to actual physical manufacturer, primary associated brand name , or importer .

Possibility #1.5 - It's probably OK , but confusion over slight details of configuration or marketing, as to being the same gun .

Possibility #2- It's actually not on Roster, and needs to be submitted .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If it's not in the roster submit it to be added, will it be instant? No but it will keep you from being knee deep in shit if it happens to be used for anything but plinking.
    If a gun you already possess that was sold to you by an FFL, is later to be found "not on the roster", that's on MSP and perhaps the FFL. Not the buyer. They're the gatekeepers of legality in the sale, not you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom