• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Aside from bring a patient back to life after they decided to half sleep half eat a graham cracker, I wrote the VP of Nursing to ask if the hospital was forming a policy regarding Maryland's new status as a Shall-Issue state. Once the permits start flowing it's only going to be so long until a patient comes in by ambulance or walk in and they have a gun.

The hospital NEEDS to have a plan in place that maintains patient dignity and the staff's safety. Safety not from the "guy with the gun" but from the inexperienced (with guns) RN stripping down the patient and injuring themselves or (because people are some thieving bastards) stealing someone's gun.

I also volunteered to help them find people who could help train the staff or establish the policy. We'll see next week what I get back. I titled the email "Guns and the ER" figured she'd have to open it that way.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not assume Security has any idea how to handle this.

ER should have a simple lock-box. There should be a designated person on each shift who knows how to safely unholster and clear any handgun, and lock it in the box. Gun should be locked with action/cylinder open, using a zip tie minimum, or a simple cable lock. Patient's carry permit should probably be placed in something like a clear plastic sleeve zip-tied to the gun.

Staff should be educated (pamphlets, safety briefings) about "What to do", but also that two classes of patients might be armed: 1) persons carrying illegally, and 2) persons carrying legally.

Frankly, hospitals should already have something like this in place.

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    ATTENTION HOSPITAL PATIENTS AND VISITORS

If you are carrying a firearm please report to registration so that we can bill your insurance company approperly. Storage fees will be by the standard rate of 60 usd per half hour weapon storage ,plus a 120 usd consult fee to have your weapon rendered safe for storage while in our facility.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think the question relates to a patient coming into the E.R. with a concealed handgun, especially an unconcious patient brought in by ambulance. Nurses and doctors are feverishly working on the patient when someone finds the Glock, or LCP, or J-frame. Oh Noz! What to do!

PMD354

Think that a hospital is going to be difficult, try working on a military base. I would only be able to carry after going home and getting the firearm. In no way, shape or form would I ever try and bring my firearm to work. I like my job too much.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Clear the firearm (everyone should know how to do this and if they don't, have someone who does clear it).
    Secure the firearm with the rest of the patients personal and sensitive affects.

Lock box is a good idea if they don't already have secure storage.

I'm confident the police will be notified if the patient is not LEO or have a permit.

From my years (ages ago) as an EMT there are usually PD at the scene, especially if it's an auto accident, and we usually find gun (rare) during initial patient assessment.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do not assume Security has any idea how to handle this.

ER should have a simple lock-box. There should be a designated person on each shift who knows how to safely unholster and clear any handgun, and lock it in the box. Gun should be locked with action/cylinder open, using a zip tie minimum, or a simple cable lock. Patient's carry permit should probably be placed in something like a clear plastic sleeve zip-tied to the gun.

Staff should be educated (pamphlets, safety briefings) about "What to do", but also that two classes of patients might be armed: 1) persons carrying illegally, and 2) persons carrying legally.

Frankly, hospitals should already have something like this in place.

I think the question relates to a patient coming into the E.R. with a concealed handgun, especially an unconcious patient brought in by ambulance. Nurses and doctors are feverishly working on the patient when someone finds the Glock, or LCP, or J-frame. Oh Noz! What to do!

If someone comes in unresponsive, Hospitals should already have procedures in place for safety, identification, and safeguarding person-ables. In the end, staff will have to be trained on safe handling and storage of firearms, which should not be any different than a persons wallet.

I'm surprised staff hasn't already been trained with the high crime in the more populated areas.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Think that a hospital is going to be difficult, try working on a military base. I would only be able to carry after going home and getting the firearm. In no way, shape or form would I ever try and bring my firearm to work. I like my job too much.

Military reservations are different animals, all personal weapons have to be registered with the provost marshall.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    If someone comes in unresponsive, Hospitals should already have procedures in place for safety, identification, and safeguarding person-ables. In the end, staff will have to be trained on safe handling and storage of firearms, which should not be any different than a persons wallet.

I'm surprised staff hasn't already been trained with the high crime in the more populated areas.

These hospitals tend to have around-the-clock police presence. In these cases, they probably just pass the gun off to a cop and let the police figure it out.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    ATTENTION HOSPITAL PATIENTS AND VISITORS

If you are carrying a firearm please report to registration so that we can bill your insurance company approperly. Storage fees will be by the standard rate of 60 usd per half hour weapon storage ,plus a 120 usd consult fee to have your weapon rendered safe for storage while in our facility.

OY!!

Like they need ideas!!!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Except the hospital will need somewhere to lock them up as opposed t just leaving them in rooms. The hospital has a no weapon policy, so that's how it's going to work. But yes, someone needs to put together a training policy so that we don't have some stupid nurse in the ER shoot themselves in the foot or freak out screaming :omg: they have a gun!

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Aside from bring a patient back to life after they decided to half sleep half eat a graham cracker, I wrote the VP of Nursing to ask if the hospital was forming a policy regarding Maryland's new status as a Shall-Issue state. Once the permits start flowing it's only going to be so long until a patient comes in by ambulance or walk in and they have a gun.

The hospital NEEDS to have a plan in place that maintains patient dignity and the staff's safety. Safety not from the "guy with the gun" but from the inexperienced (with guns) RN stripping down the patient and injuring themselves or (because people are some thieving bastards) stealing someone's gun.

I also volunteered to help them find people who could help train the staff or establish the policy. We'll see next week what I get back. I titled the email "Guns and the ER" figured she'd have to open it that way.

Is there something I missed here...?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yeah-- so nothing has changed yet, ehh????

The official position of our attorney is that, yes, Maryland's system has changed.

Gura's Response to Request for Stay,

March 16, 2012

MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND
    AUTHORITIES IN OPPOSITION TO
    DEFENDANTS’ MOTION TO
    CLARIFY AND FOR A STAY OF
    JUDGMENT

The Court’s decision leaves Maryland with a legal regime concerning the
    carrying of handguns that is more or less on par with that which prevails in forty-three other states
    ,including every state in this circuit and each of Maryland’s neighboring states. That is hardly a radical threat to public safety. (p. 2)

In short, Marylanders now enjoy a handgun carry licensing scheme that is, in its core structure, profoundly ordinary. It was the unconstitutional statute struck down by the Court, not the Court’s decision, that effected a dangerous and unusual legal regime out of step with prevailing American practice. This is hardly the stuff of emergency stays or uncharted threats to public safety. (pp 8-9)

As detailed supra, Defendants are not especially harmed by being required to license the carrying of handguns on the same terms already prevailing throughout the circuit and the Nation. (p 14)

So whether or not the State is ready to accept it, our view is that Maryland is now, if not quite Shall Issue, at least a more Permissive May Issue, comparable to Delaware and Alabama.

We want to claim as much territory as we can, and the Woollard Decision legitimizes our claim to the high ground.

The State will remain in Denial for a while longer, but a great deal has changed forever. There is no going back to the way it was before.

Attachments

• MSI MD Goes SI gif.gif
      MSI MD Goes SI gif.gif
      7.6 KB · Views: 388

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads