• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellphish

Aug 28, 2007
    Rockville
    im looking at the Lee breech lock kit, the turret kit, lyman kit, and the RCSB Rock Chucker kit. thing is which one? lee is bang for buck, lyman comes wth a decent digi scale, and the big green ones seem to speak for themslves. thanks guys.:)

tonyjj

Dec 20, 2007
    Baltimore
    Well, I'm a Lee man but originally started with RCBS when I was 18. RCBS is excellent equipment but Lee's newest presses are far more innovative, if I were starting out new again and know what I know now and was planning on loading mostly or 50/50 pistol and then rifle calibers I would start out with the Lee classic turret press. This is a strong cast press, the tool head actually turns instead of the shell plate, you set up to 4 dies in the tool head and set up powder measure on case expanding and charging die then hand feed the bullets to the case for the seating die. I like the Lee deluxe carbide pistol dies that has the factory crimp as the 4th die. Priming is, well a sticky subject for some. I really like the Lee safety prime, this basically swings from the front of the press and you push the primer on to the primer cup with a slide mechanism that feeds the primer one at a time but you could always do priming as a seperate operation. I know that the challanger press (aluminum) which now has a breech lock is also a good press I have it with out the breech plug, it will flex if you are into reloading precision ammo but works fine for most other reloading or look at the Lee classic cast iron single stage press with breech lock very sturdy works great. You can also go to Glock Talk and go to their reloading page, I lurke there alot they have excellent info for new reloaders just look at the stcky files at the top.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    loadingbench001.jpg

Ive had good luck with my classic turret. Ive only loaded pistol and revolver ammunition on it thus far, but I am very satisfied.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    about how much does it cost to get a set-up going for reloading? I have whole bunch of brass that I want to reload but don't have any equipment yet to do it.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    about how much does it cost to get a set-up going for reloading? I have whole bunch of brass that I want to reload but don't have any equipment yet to do it.

Take a look at Wideners http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=210

They sell complete kits. Here are the RCBS Kits for example http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=210|211|249

Midway and others do too....Wideners tends to have a good inventory and their site is easy to navigate.

Dans390

Apr 14, 2007
    York Pa
    I've used lee equip. for more than 20yrs. Have heard all the stuff about who's
    best I'll say i converted my old turret into 4 hole & will move into Lee long ram
    We load 38,357,44mag,45acp,45long,454,460,500,& 9mm w/turret. Remove
    rotating shaft & load 45-70,223,270,30-06 & a few more.
    Have had outstanding performance & results w/Lee Equipment
    But I'm sure a lot of loaders won't agree. Shop around, find another reloader & pay a visit, try before u buy
    Load Safley & Often

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use a rock chucker for rifle and low volume full power magnum pistol loads, pro 1000s for most other pistol rounds, works quite well, and allows flexibility with speed and QC in the dozen or so calibers I load for. I have tried the LEE turret and classic cast presses, and actually wish I had bought them instead of the 2nd pro1000 and RCBS. The cast turret is ideal for quickly loading 223 and 308 for semis, and the claasic cast press is IMO the best single stage around, and it costs less than most others. All in all for the price of a decent setup 550b, you can have 3 presses that cover just about any caliber you can shoot. 9mm FMJ on the pro1000, .223 on the turret, and match rifle loads on the classic cast. This pic is a couple years old, still use the RCBS, and the pair of pro1000s but love the turret for a good middle ground press, and will be ordering one as soon as funds permit (or to help with the mountain of brass from the frostbite shoot). $200 can get you started, $500 gets a great setup for loading thousands of rounds in a dozen calibers

Attachments

• reloading.JPG
      reloading.JPG
      60 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads