What shooting range do you prefer and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ked0607

Aug 25, 2012
    PG CO
    I always go to On Target off Rt 175. Been going there since 2003 and their staff for the most part is awesome. I live in PG and have been thing about MD Small Arms in Upper Marlboro but wanted some pros and cons from someone thats been there before. I would be taking my lady there so we can do some lead slinging as a couple. I also would love to see what the inside of the firing lanes look like. All info is greatly appreciated !!

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Cresap. Close (10 minutes), cheap, friendly staff. Only open to public on Sundaybut it's cool - it's my substitute for church.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a membership at the AGC (ten minutes away), but have shot at matches open to non-members at Thurmont, York, and Delta.

I don't shoot at indoor ranges.

MSAR seems to have a terrible reputation. Do a search for the horror stories here.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    MSAR seems to have a terrible reputation. Do a search for the horror stories here.

I was just there last weekend.

No ventilation, small number of stations closely packed together (put your hands on your hips and your elbows will touch the divider panels,) no distance markings, poor lighting, no cardboard hangers so your target is cut off by the holder clip...

In other words it's great if you like a challenging shooting environment.

The good news is that they are supposed to be moving to a new, modern facility about a half mile away in a couple of months. Bad news is that they've been saying that for six months.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I was just there last weekend.

No ventilation, small number of stations closely packed together (put your hands on your hips and your elbows will touch the divider panels,) no distance markings, poor lighting, no cardboard hangers so your target is cut off by the holder clip...

In other words it's great if you like a challenging shooting environment.

The good news is that they are supposed to be moving to a new, modern facility about a half mile away in a couple of months. Bad news is that they've been saying that for six months.

try a year.. LOL

its not bad place.. depending on time you go.. i agree w/ the ventilation.

btw.. if you look on the side wall.. there is lines on there to mark the distance.. ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    try a year.. LOL

its not bad place.. depending on time you go.. i agree w/ the ventilation.

btw.. if you look on the side wall.. there is lines on there to mark the distance.. ;)

If you can manage a time when it's near empty - yeah, it can be a decent place to shoot.

Ventilation does leave something to be desired, last time I was there the lighting wasn't too bad.

What annoyed me was 2 ricochets (peeled jackets) that made it back to the line, took one jacket to the left arm, the other jacket into my chest. .45ACP 230gr Ball, haven't been back since.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I belong to Fort Hill Rifle and Pistol Cub. They have wonderful ranges. They have steel plates, and 25 and 50 yards for pistol. You can shoot 100 yards on the rifle range. At a seperate location you can shoot out to 600 yards.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you can manage a time when it's near empty - yeah, it can be a decent place to shoot.

Ventilation does leave something to be desired, last time I was there the lighting wasn't too bad.

What annoyed me was 2 ricochets (peeled jackets) that made it back to the line, took one jacket to the left arm, the other jacket into my chest. .45ACP 230gr Ball, haven't been back since.

stop shooting at the holder then!! :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    stop shooting at the holder then!! :lol2:

I'd never do something like that... :innocent0

Seriously, we're still not sure how those 2 came back to us, we were shooting at full distance of the range, and pretty sure no one got a hit on the carrier, it never moved.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I shoot at Berwyn Rod and Gun Club. A bit on the expensive side, but it's close to where I work, and it gives me a reason to go outdoors. Also like not having annoying RSOs or having to worry about some idiot gang-banger next to me.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I went to On Target for years. It's a zoo most times there now. If you're going there pretty often, look into getting a membership. One major perk is they let you call in and reserve a lane. I've been there some nights where the wait was as long as it is at Hap Baker the weekend before deer season (hours). If I lived closer, I'd probably get a membership, but Freestate is my home range now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you search for horror stories , you can find horror stories.

Go ahead and invest $15 , nd try for yourself. You're supposed to hve eyeprocetion anyway, here we really mean it. There IS ventilation , but with every lane full , and lots of rounds going downrange , it can get overwhelmed.

Avoid Saturdays.

Given my druthers , I'd prefer just about any outdoor range to just about any indoor. But the $ is right , and if the location is close to you , try for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom