• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    I bought a box of "Federal Premium Law enforcement" hydashoks and noticed on the box "this ammunition is designed and manufactured exclusively to law enforcement agencies" I have also seen red box TAP ammo available online from time to time. so I have two questions.
    Is this box of 40s&w 180gr hydrashok the same as the normal ones?
    How did/do these pop up for sale?

I do know the red box tap does not have the cool looking black nickel cases.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    As far as the "law enforcement only" stuff on ammunition it is only a manufacturer policy, not law. Some companies are more strict about it than others, but dealers routinely sell said ammunition to consumers. There is usually a minimal difference between the "LE Only" stuff and the regular stuff... if there is a difference at all. Normally the case, primer, powder, and bullet are all the same.

Some companies, like Winchester and their Ranger series, don't offer a "civilian" version at all. Of course that doesn't stop companies from selling it to them anyway. I can't say I'm familiar enough with Federal's line-up to know if there is a difference, but if there is it's marginal at best. Hornady TAP is scarce simply because it's good ammo and can be quite hard to find... I know their 75gr 5.56 TAP is damn near impossible to find.

Personally I think the whole thing is a marketing ploy geared towards the mall ninjas that want to boast about their magic "police bullets".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom