• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    If you could only get one, what would you pick?

3- type 53 mosins with cracked stock from Century
    1- Chinese SKS with cracked stock from Royal Tiger
    1- Romanian TTC Pistol from Century

So, C&R guru's, if you could chose only one of these, which would you pick?

(Prices are about the same for each line item)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Myself I am not a import C & R guy. But my son is and he would pick the 3 mosins. Because more is always better.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    If you could only get one, what would you pick?

3- type 53 mosins with cracked stock from Century
    1- Chinese SKS with cracked stock from Royal Tiger
    1- Romanian TTC Pistol from Century

So, C&R guru's, if you could chose only one of these, which would you pick?

(Prices are about the same for each line item)

I'd hold off on the type 53s. You probably don't need all three of them, and would end up keeping the best one and selling the other two ... lots of trouble for a fairly common gun with no guarantees that any of them will be nice. Hold off and look for a nice example in the future (LGS, show, or maybe GB), then buy that--even if you have to pay a premium.

If you are truly collecting, rather than intending to butcher something up, or you just want a cheap shooter, I'd pay the extra to get an SKS from Classic ... with hand-select for matching, if not both for matching and condition. I'm just not fond of starting out with a collectible rifle that you're going to have to do a substantial repair on, or that you'll have to replace the stock with one that's not matching numbers. If you just want a cheap shooter, though, that might be a good choice.

Romanian Toks are a great choice. Ammo is expensive for them right now, but they are really nice shooters ... and powerful! My petite wife always gets wide-eyed looks when she's at a range and starts shooting her Rom Tok with the pink grips (spares purchased for that purpose ... the originals are put away safely). It makes a helluva racket, but hits center target regularly and is reliable. Many of the ones that I've seen coming in lately have been like-new or close to it.

I'd personally go with a hand-select Century SKS or a Rom Tok, but not the other two that you listed. You can look for nicer examples of them later.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you got the money: all the above.

If you have a money constraint, which one do you want the most? Go with that.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    None of those are particularly bad choices. :shrug:

I'm assuming you already have a slew of 91/30s? Because the $99 ones from Classic are a good buy right now, probably a better buy than anything on your list IMHO.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    dont buy 1 or 3 what may be broken guns.

get a chinese sks numbers matching or num match and hand pick from Classic. I think weve all had great luck with them. You may get really lucky like that guy that ended up with a whole #s match Izhevsk Russian gun, and at worst, you get what you paid for. A good SKS thats numbers matching.

If you really want a T-53, SOG has them for $99 with a normal non-cracked stock. no guarantee the numbers match but at least the stock is whole. I got one that is a mixmaster of parts but shoots like a gem. Then throw in a $99 M91/30 from classic. People here have had very good luck with them and you still have some $$ for ammo

The romy Tok is a good one too. I have a romy and a yugo and love shooting them.

Last edited:

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Chinese SKS or Tok...I have multiples of each, you won't be disappointed. If you must choose now, consider that you may want to wait for an SKS with a better stock and get the Tok now (although ammo is pricey).

OTOH, I think the only reason to jump on an SKS with cracked stock now is if you feel like SKS's may be targeted in the next legislative session or two (I doubt it personally). You'll be able to get Toks and T-53's later on assuming supplies last.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you want a range toy? Do you frequent a rifle range or handgun range (or do you shoot out back?)
    SKS ammo is cheap and almost always readily available at Walmart for 25cents a round. SKS is chrome lined so no cleaning needed every time you go out. SKS is a good SHTF gun.
    Tok Ammo is hard to get and close to double the price.
    Mosin surplus Ammo is corrosive but close to SKS ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom