• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    So as of Jan 1 2016 Texas is now an open carry state. However, you must have a concealed carry license from Texas or a state of reciprocity in order to open carry.

Which leads me to my question. (Obligatory "I got out" statement) Since I was successful in my escape from the USSMD and got to Texas, and since open carry has been established... I haven't seen a single person open carry so far. Now granted im in Suburban-Rural Dallas so the rules here are a bit different than they maybe in Nowhere-ville Texas.

I couldn't really understand why anyone would want to give up their legal right to conceal carry and keep the element of surprise vs open carry (except in ultra rare scenarios).

What would you do? If you had a permit in Texas would you open carry, just because you could?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I only open carry if legally REQUIRED. Concealed carry is so much better it's like asking if you could eat filet mignon with a 23 year old blonde gymnast (CC) or share a feeding trough with the ladies from the View (OC).

If someone touts the need to OC an AR at a Chipotle I run away from that stupidity faster than a fat lesbian feminist at a Chippendales convention.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    In public, definitely not. Working on the back 40 plowing the fields in the summer, I'd say yes.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• popcrneater.gif
      popcrneater.gif
      18.5 KB · Views: 959

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Maybe some people think to themselves element of surprise be damned, I want to go all cowboy and carry foot long a single action, and drive slow in the left lane...

lone_ranger.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    No OC then how are you going to show off your Texas BBQ Gun?

Everybody needs to OC their BBQ Gun, just can't let the Rangers have all the fun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    jeez i don't get all the hate for open carry. sometimes it's nice to not have to do the iwb thing or wear a cover garment. unless you're packing a 5-6" gun, it really just isn't super noticeable, especially if wearing darker clothing where the gun blends in. i do mostly concealed but when open carrying really haven't been aware of anyone even noticing. arms at sides do a decent job of covering it up and most folks aren't going around staring at folks' waists or sides.

go to opencarry.org, there are threads for NOVA (northern virginia) where folks talk about their open carry experiences, mostly they say no one even notices, and some that do notice prolly just assume they're cops or something like that.

i think OC is actually good for PR. with CC folks have no idea how many folks are carrying. with OC, folks know there are folks carrying and when there is no "blood in the streets" they can see that despite lotsa guns being carried there are no issues.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    If you are out in the woods or working it can be much easier.

Also if you are concealing under a light garment or such, an accidental exposure of your gun is not an illegal act.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I would OC everywhere but in public. Does that make any sense? If I'm "out and about", driving down the road, walking around the property, that kind of thing, I will be carrying. Those are the areas I would be concerned with. Out in the middle of nowhere...I want a gun on my side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom