What's the best way of gripping your Pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cad424

Apr 28, 2010
    Texas!
    lol... I love going up to the public ranges here. If someone is shooting a Hi-Point they're about 50% likely to be using that grip or something equally ridiculous.

A couple of weeks ago one such person was holding his Glock like that. It was rather amusing but was best was when the slide busted his thumb knuckle pretty good. It was weird because this badass suddenly wasn't so tough when he got the boo boo.

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    The support hand is critical for several reasons. Don't forget to rotate and lock the support hand wrist forward. This accomplishes three things, it lets you have more control of recoil, it effectively makes your support arm longer, and it helps you point your support thumb directly at the target. If you think about it, when you place your support hand over your firing hand you tend to pull the muzzle of the gun slightly toward your support side, or, you instinctively have to compensate by shortening your firing arm which is not the best thing for consistency. Rotating the wrist and locking it helps straighten the isosceles triangle.

Pointing your thumbs toward the target helps fast acquisition for me and rotating the wrist helps me do that.

The best video I've seen which demonstrates what I'm talking about is grip video II found in the shooting tips section here, http://www.springerprecision.com/

fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    I was watching one of these side way holding goofs at the range... I tried not to chuckle too hard. Must have put about 200ish holes in left side of the target, shots were everywhere but the right. The best part was that it was only about 3-5 meters away from the guy.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    It is both funny and slightly terrifying when one of these tough sideways shooting types gets a jam or has a malfunction at the range. They then walk up to you very meekly and ask, "excuse me sir, do you know anything about guns?"

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Not sure this is true, but I was told the gangster wanabe would modify the mag spring for increased capacity and holding the gun sideways was the only way it would cycle.?

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Zins grip

I learned my grip shooting bullseye pistol from Gunnery Sergeant Brian Zins, USMC, many (9?) time national pistol champion. The idea is to get as little "meat" between your hand and the pistol. Drive the web of your hand (between the thumb and index finger) as high on the backstrap as possible. Then open your hand as wide as it will go, and drive the mainspring into the bony area between the meat of your thumb and the meat of your palm...then wrap your fingers around the grip and give a FIRM handshake. This was intended for one handed shooting, but I've found it's the best foundation for two handed shooting as well...

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    I need help improving all my shooting actions. Anyone want to take my case on? If so PM me. I live near the AGC. I do hit my targets but grouping and consistency are my issue

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Normally I would wrap my weak hand around my strong hand. Mostlly so the palm of my weak hand was "for lack of better description" supporting my strong hand. Almost like palm up on the butt of the handle,more so to control recoil.
    A few months ago I started changing my grip to the two thumbs forward stlye.
    Compatition grip style
    Where both weak and strong hand thumbs are faceing forward at the target.
    I noticed an imetiate improvment in getting a smaller grouping along with what seems like faster point of aim after a shot is fired.
    Since then my shooting has improved. Point of aim seems a bit more natural in finding the target.
    To me it feels as if I can hold on target a little longer with a bit less wandering/shakeing,ect of the front sight on the target.
    Granted I'm far from a great shooter. But I do feel this gip adds to some amount of repeatability and more consisdent shooting.
    Worse case it makes me grip the gun the same way each time that can only help:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom