When can you hunt with handgun in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I plan to keep the cartridge box in my truck in case DNR comes sniffing around. It says on them what the foot pounds are. I figure my 18" barrel will be somewhat close to the factory measure for a 24" barrel, and still keep me within that 1200+ range (in my case somewhere around 1300, since both are a little over that). Same deal can be had if you are handgun hunting- keep your Buffalo Bore or whatever box close, and hopefully it has the foot pounds of 700+ printed on it.

Now, if someone here has actually taken some deer with a handgun? I am curious about hits and how far a deer goes, damage inside, etc.

Yup I have with my 44 Redhawk a few years ago. He was sniffing the ground facing maybe 25 yards away..... square in the middle of his back and dropped like a ton of bricks just as he would have with a 06.
    Why use marginal at best when one can use ample plus some? :shrug:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If I were you I'd call the DNR for clarification and then ask the person to email you their opinion so that you can print the email and carry it with you. I've been checked by the DNR twice (duck hunting) and the guy tossed all of my stuff and went through every item I had in a desperate, unsuccessful search for a violation. Not a big deal, but it took like 45 minutes and was not enjoyable. You'll benefit from anything that makes the theoretical officer's job easier.

I have never had a game warden do something like that to me. I think I would be pissed and a letter would be going to his superiors if he went through everything I had. There are less intrusive ways for them to check things out.

If I had an issue with the energy requirement from a handgun hand load, I would test it through a chronograph and then work up the foot pounds of energy calculation to see if it meets the requirement. If so, I would hunt with it. If a DNR agent cites me with hunting with a round that does not produce 1,200 foot pounds, I'd let him make his case in court, which I doubt he would be able to do, ask for a motion when he rests, and if the judge does not grant my motion I would put on my rebuttal.

As far as the barrel length goes, I would go with what the manufacturer says it is.

I was cited once with discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling. When the officer was on the stand, I asked him how he had measured the 150 yards. "I eyeballed it" was his response. End of the day, me, my dad, and my buddy were found Not Guilty.

They can charge you with anything they want. However, they need to prove it. DNR would have to submit the rounds in your possession for testing by a lab and the technician doing the testing would have to testify regarding the test results.

If the round itself has the ability to produce the required energy, I wouldn't worry too much about getting charged or about going to court. Now, if you are out there hunting deer with 9mm, .40 S&W, etc., good luck.

Nattyboh325

Nov 5, 2014
    From what I have read in the Manuals. It appears in Maryland you can only hunt with handguns in rifle counties during rifle seasons be in Delaware you can hunt with handguns during their one week handgun season but also during any shotgun season. Is this correct? I appreciate the responses but haven't really gotten an answer yet, just stories about their old hunts and such which is awesome but peppering in the answer would be very helpful, I don't need the few sentences that are posted on the md website as I have read all of that many times but the problem is they don't give you exact dates or seasons.

Thanks so much everyone

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I thought it was up to 10 at one point.(?)

Not as per my recollection, I believe it was 5 or maybe 8 due to the M1 Garand.

From what I have read in the Manuals. It appears in Maryland you can only hunt with handguns in rifle counties during rifle seasons be in Delaware you can hunt with handguns during their one week handgun season but also during any shotgun season. Is this correct? I appreciate the responses but haven't really gotten an answer yet, just stories about their old hunts and such which is awesome but peppering in the answer would be very helpful, I don't need the few sentences that are posted on the md website as I have read all of that many times but the problem is they don't give you exact dates or seasons.

Thanks so much everyone

Forget about Delaware here as we're here in MD and speaking of MD regs. It is legal to hunt deeries with a handgun that has a minimum barrel length of at least 6" and must develop at least 700 foot pounds of muzzle energy and can be used in those counties or the portion of counties (a few were divided such as Frederick county) that allow rifle to hunt deeries during the deer firearms season.

Exact dates or seasons??? You have to read the game seasons for that.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009

Forget about Delaware here as we're here in MD and speaking of MD regs. It is legal to hunt deeries with a handgun that has a minimum barrel length of at least 6" and must develop at least 700 foot pounds of muzzle energy and can be used in those counties or the portion of counties (a few were divided such as Frederick county) that allow rifle to hunt deeries during the deer firearms season.

Clarification: Modern Handguns 6 inches or more and generating a muzzle energy of 700ft/lbs or more can be used throughout Frederick County .
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Clarification: Modern Handguns 6 inches or more and generating a muzzle energy of 700ft/lbs or more can be used throughout Frederick County .
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

Good news.:thumbsup:

But can rifle be used throughout Frederick County now???

Just read the link to answer my Qurestion.......NOPE, jus' the northern part.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Not to sidetrack, but I never could wrap my head around why we can't use handguns in shotgun/muzzleloader zones in MD.

It is ridiculous as is the 700 ft/lbs measure. There are several big bore 45 Colt loads that will penetrate 3 or 4 deer lined up right that don't come close to that number.

There are commercial loadings for 357 magnum from Underwood and Buffalo Bore that are well above 700 ft/lbs at the muzzle (as measured from 4-inch barrels - so even more energy from 6-inch or longer barrels).

Atomic Ammo and Pro Grade Ammunition are 2 others.

Try proving that when Johnny Law stops you. Regardless 357 is marginal at best on deer sized game, just use a 44 and be done with it.......... (and the deer)

The 357 works just fine on deer. The 41 and 44 may be better, but keep the ranges close and shots broadside with an appropriate load and it will work every time.

I love handgun hunting. It adds challenge in the same way archery hunting does. I like the freedom and simplicity of carrying a revolver in a holster, especially in a treestand.

+1!! Well said.

I plan to keep the cartridge box in my truck in case DNR comes sniffing around. It says on them what the foot pounds are. I figure my 18" barrel will be somewhat close to the factory measure for a 24" barrel, and still keep me within that 1200+ range (in my case somewhere around 1300, since both are a little over that). Same deal can be had if you are handgun hunting- keep your Buffalo Bore or whatever box close, and hopefully it has the foot pounds of 700+ printed on it.

Now, if someone here has actually taken some deer with a handgun? I am curious about hits and how far a deer goes, damage inside, etc.

All this varies on range, where hit, damage done, alertness of the deer, alignment of the stars, etc. I've had the most experience with the 44 and 41. All ran, most just a short distance. With a solid vitals hit, the destruction is amazing. Complete penetration on most. The .30-06 Encore I used for a bit hammered them. Only killed a few with the 357. All under 30 yds and broadside. 180 cast, 140 Barnes X bullet, 158 JSP. Complete penetration and quick kills. Know your limits and limitations.

So, have there been any incidents where game wardens took some handloaded ammo and had it tested to see if it met minimum energy requirements? How do they measure barrel length? With a tape measure or a rod down the barrel to rest upon the bullet in a chamber? How thorough are the game wardens when checking this stuff out in the woods?

Kind of dumb questions, I'll admit, but I sure would like to use my Colt New Service .45 Colt stoked with heavy 255 grain cast lead handloads. I know in my heart it has the moxie to kill a deer cleanly at short handgun ranges, but I don't want to get in a pissing contest with the DNR either.

The heavy 45 Colt commercial "Ruger-only" loads will certainly kill deer quickly and humanely. Just try to find one that meets minimum to save headaches should you be checked. Keeping the ammo box with the info printed on it close by or a printout from the manufacturer's website showing this info is a great idea. On a revolver, measure from the forcing cone of the barrel to the muzzle end. They can and will check.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * From half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset * Sorry , I've been biting my tongue the whole thread , but had to finally say it.

But yes the same dates as Modern Firearm season (aka Rifle season). Yes , you need to consult the published dates for current year , and specific location.

Yes , part of the concept is the direct or indirect challenge. But a large bore handgun is a lot easier to make quality hits on Bambi than a verticle bow , and you don't see moaning over those.

If we throw out the disclaomer * In situations where Md Hunting Laws not applicable * :

9mm +P+ to the spine collaspe on the spot.

Shooting/ hunting partner #2 eventually grew bored with instant stops with head and neck shots with red dot equiped 6in .357 .

Just reporting , not condoning , .38Spl +P 158 LHP to head at 20yd jacklighted , one shot stop.

All those medimum bore sucuess stories involved careful shot placement , upon deer providing the proper angle. For all around use on non-cooperative deer standing any which way , Biggfoot's recomendation is 10mm/ .41 / .44/ .45 / and larger. Outside of PRM , +/- 500FtLb with a big bore cast semiwadcutter with decent shot placement is more than reasonably adaquate for deer. Big bore controlled expansion HP in std for cal weight will work also.

PRN's rules are PRM's rules, but that's not the same discussion as "what is suitable and effective for deer hunting" .

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    I always thought it was kind of stupid that you can hunt with a 4" .357 magnum in West Virginia but we need 700 ft lbs and 6" barrels across the river, you'd think there would be some sort of agreeance in game laws.

I also guarantee you that the .22 LR has killed more deer in the USA than probably anything else, I just doubt they were tagged or checked in. One of the DNR officers told me that he lost a clear cut case on someone jacklighting with a .22 because the judge "doubted very much that a .22 could kill a deer".

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    There are other stupid game laws here too. Different opening dates for trapping fox, coon etc eastern shore vs entire western side of MD, and otter and beaver closed to nonresidents despite beaver nuisance issues statewide, and plenty of otters in southern MD, Harford, Balto co, and entire eastern shore. No season yet for bobcat. I think it's mostly tied into MD Furtrapper's Assocation being afraid of antis or something, to not push for changes. These latter 2 are legislative requiring changes, ie bills and hearings. I have no idea why the opening dates stay the same, that is probably something DNR can change by itself.

Some other dorky game laws are: chipmunks being protected, no sunday hunting for coyotes, no year round nighttime hunting of coyotes, and no season on porcupine in far western MD. I also think deer shotgun/rifle/handgun should be 3 weeks instead of 2 in region B, if DNR is that concerned about deer overpopulation.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Who sets these regulations?desk-bound political hacks?

Technically as you can see, it's perfectly legal to hunt with a properly-loaded 6.5" .357 (which in reality can be argued as still somewhat marginal), but not a 5.5" .44 mag or .454, .460, .500, etc. (all of which are in no way marginal). Makes sense, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom