• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lennyjoe

Sep 22, 2007
    Hagerstown
    I went by the North American Rod and Gun club and wasn't impressed with the range. Nothing like the ranges we had in Arizona. At least they did have other activities that made up for it though. I'm still on the fence for dropping $160 to join the club.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I dont think your going to be happy with any of the ranges around here (except delamarva) once you been out west. Very rare around here to get a range over 200 yards that is public. Not many private ones even around here in western Md.

Much to populated and many anti-gunners here on the east coast!. Especially Peoples Republic of Maryland

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I dont think your going to be happy with any of the ranges around here (except delamarva) once you been out west. Very rare around here to get a range over 200 yards that is public. Not many private ones even around here in western Md.

Yep. When I lived in AZ, I usually just went out in the desert and unleashed some lead. But when I went to the range, they had a 53 position 300 yard, and a 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) yard range.

Lennyjoe

Sep 22, 2007
    Hagerstown
    That's the feeling I'm getting. I'm used to the desert open ranges as well as the controlled ranges they had. We used to go to the local range that had gongs out to 1000yds, silhouettes for .22, 25 lanes for both rifle and handgun, 3 gun ranges ect. All for $6 for day use or $40 per year membership.

I did see a hunting club which had an open field and backstops out to @ 600yds when I was driving around Indian Springs WMA yesterday.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    Ron, I have a permanent camp site above Thurmont. Been there for 12 years. I have shopped and eaten in Smithburg for years. I live in Delaware but feel like a Maryland resident. Most of my family back to the early colonial days lived on farms on the eastern shore. I hunt on the eastern shore from Millington Wildlife area to Dorchester county.

I belong to Blue Ridge Sportsmen's association in just east of Waynesboro. They have a covered range that's used by pistol and rifle shooters. Not big but empty in the mornings and most of the year. You need to be a member. The club is located on rt. 16 between Blue Ridge Summit and Emmitsburg, Md. roughly 10-12 miles.

good luck, John

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I went by the North American Rod and Gun club and wasn't impressed with the range. Nothing like the ranges we had in Arizona. At least they did have other activities that made up for it though. I'm still on the fence for dropping $160 to join the club.

i wasn't real impressed with North American's range either, but it was clean and the people there were super friendly. I've gone there as a guest and John, who organizes some of the shoots there, was real helpful and was eager to answer my questions. I also like the fact that the property is pretty close to home for me and I'm still debating wether or not I want to try to get in up there.

Did I mention they have a nice little bar where you can have a beer and a sandwich after you're done shooting?

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    The Izzak Walton league is in Clear Spring near the Wash. Co. Landfill off rt 11. Nice range, but private you need to join. There is a .22 range indoors. The 50 yd rifle and pisol ranges are covered.

http://www.washcoiwla.com/home

Welcome aboard:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    An IWL member here asked me to call about joining that group but I haven't had a chance to call him (DD214) about membership info.
    Welcome, I grew up in Smithsburg. My parents still live in Holiday Acres.

When I was a lot younger, we could shoot at the Hagerstown Police range above the Smithsburg Watershed. I know the range is still there, but it's now posted. (maybe that changed)

snick97

Nov 19, 2008

I think you should join. I am a member there and the range is a range. It's never too crowded and perfect to shoot handguns and rifles. They don't babysit you and when you're done you can go have the cheapest beers you will ever have in your life.

The place is not doing so well recently and really needs active members. Everyone is always so nice and I always like shooting there, it could use another good man from MDshooters.

gl whatever you decide to do!

Phoronus

Apr 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    The place is not doing so well recently and really needs active members.

This is just a personal pet peeve, but they don't seem to have any membership info on the website at all. And the website is pretty poor. I'm in Hagerstown, too, and I really thought long and hard about joining, but the membership fee, plus the $100 'credit', plus the $100 'we'll give it back if you put in some hours' fee just was a pretty high barrier to entry.

And, I have to say, I didn't get a very 'welcoming' feel when I went in to get an application. But, I admit, that may just be me feeling terribly out-of-place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom