• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Someone said you had to have a VA license to use VA ramps this year...you hear anything about that?

Related...do you need a VA license to fish the tribs of the Potomac that are on the VA side? i'm gonna check on thrse
    That may be new. I sold my boat over 14 years ago so, I couldn't tell ya.

There are boundaries in the Va. tribs IIRC. I held a Va. license, but was never checked while fishing.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    That may be new. I sold my boat over 14 years ago so, I couldn't tell ya.

There are boundaries in the Va. tribs IIRC. I held a Va. license, but was never checked while fishing.
    they have signs out now saying you cant use the ramp unless you are launching a boat or actively fishing...i think someone was misinterpreting that. i didn't find anything on df&w website on it.

you're retired now...time for a new boat!

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    they have signs out now saying you cant use the ramp unless you are launching a boat or actively fishing...i think someone was misinterpreting that. i didn't find anything on df&w website on it.

you're retired now...time for a new boat!
    Wish I could afford one! :lol2:
    The good ol' days...

1000001392.jpg

Last edited:

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Too much waste for my liking, but yeah, I got no bones to pick with those who filet :D
    Back when I used to kill trout, these were stream bred Browns, I would slow fry them in a pan of bacon grease. They were so tender, you could grab the tail and tease the meat right off the bones, skin and all. I miss those days, but had I not finally stopped keeping legal fish(over 15", one per day), I would have decimated them from the creek.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Back when I used to kill trout, these were stream bred Browns, I would slow fry them in a pan of bacon grease. They were so tender, you could grab the tail and tease the meat right off the bones, skin and all. I miss those days, but had I not finally stopped keeping legal fish(over 15", one per day), I would have decimated them from the creek.
    I used to do that at little Patuxent River. One over 15" per day. Caught many browns and a few big Rainbows. Did best after a small rain and seemed they were feeding better then. Used lures of course. Sometimes Fly fishing

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    IMG_20240429_085508.jpg

IMG_20240429_091105.jpg

IMG_20240429_084449_208.jpg

Got out for about 2 hours with the "kid"....first carp for her...and a good one too...the smile on her face when it came up, rolled and stripped drag...priceless....

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    View attachment 468136
    View attachment 468137
    View attachment 468135

Got out for about 2 hours with the "kid"....first carp for her...and a good one too...the smile on her face when it came up, rolled and stripped drag...priceless....
    Nice! Good for you taking the kids out!
    you do anything with them or let them go?
    Can't answer for the other poster, but we always heard they were not very good eating and never tried them. There was an old German lady that would see us bowfishing and ask if we would save her some.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Nice! Good for you taking the kids out!

Can't answer for the other poster, but we always heard they were not very good eating and never tried them. English was an old German lady that would see us bowfishing and ask if we would save her some.
    The English eat them too.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I let them go to grow....unless someone else there asks for them...I've given quite a few away to other anglers...or someone just sitting down by the water to happens to see me catch them.
    The problem with carp is that they keep the silt stirred up and if it settles on the nests of other fish, it kills the eggs (that they might have missed sucking up). I never let any go.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I went bow fishing once, Tried eat carp once. Tried baking with lemon and dill, tried deep frying, even tried barbecue sauce. That was the most awful fish I ever tried. Maybe tore up on like coddy cakes with batter and spices? I'd have to be starving. I flat out love eating bluefish also.

Best part was trying to convince my city boy friends to try some of the BBQ carp. I tried some and a bone stuck in my throat. I coughed, coughed, puked, then said "Who wants some" and they about ran. :lol2:

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I went to Piney Run Yesterday and only managed to catch a bunch of yellow perch and 1 nice rainbow trout. Really thought the bass bite would have been better. Water temp was 60deg. Bass should be active.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Probably a dumb question but what you guys using for sunblock? I got sunburnt pretty good Sunday and its on my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom