• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Looks like mother nature decided to tease us by giving us a taste of what we're missing by not being out west, the local hills are starting to make slush, I mean snow, and Versus has started showing ski racing, so I guess it's that time of year. . .

I have a new pair of K2 Extremes that have been eyeballing me since May, so Whitetail and Roundtop will have to hold me over until I get to go to Vail for a week in March.

What are you guys planning for the winter?

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    My sons, Dave and Will, and I are going to Park City from Christmas to the Sunday after New Year's. They have never been out West for skiing.

The best skiing I ever had was in Sun Valley in the middle of April. THAT was amazing.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    out west is so much better. i'll be hitting some slopes this year. i have two TDYs already scheduled where my skis will be going with me, one for Utah and one for Colorado

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    I'm absolutly SIKED for skiing this year! I have been for the past 12 (I'm 16) and love it. Going to canada on the 18th to skii and board with some friends at Blue Mountain, then flying to austria to spend xmas, new years, and another week in Lech am Alberg. Went there last year and the weather was super, had a terrain park worth mentioning too.

Can't buy my own skiis yet since i'd grow out of them real fast or they'd be too long at the start, i use skiis atleast as long as im tall already, so longer wouldnt really work.

Spending my days (between hunting and shooting ofcourse) watching youtube videos of skiing and snowboarding, man i think im gonna go do that right now...

TTYL,
    Oliver

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    out west is so much better.

definitely, but skiing around here is still better than not skiing. If I only skied the ~1 week a year I get out west, I'd be stuck on blue groomed runs, which kinda defeats the purpose of going out west.

Can't buy my own skiis yet since i'd grow out of them real fast or they'd be too long at the start, i use skiis atleast as long as im tall already, so longer wouldnt really work.

heh, my shorter pair (Nordica SUV, 160cm, 115-70-99) is about my height and my longer ones (K2 Extreme, 174cm, 119-85-109) are a few inches taller than me. For as long as you've been skiing, you should be able to get a better feel for what you like than the guidelines that people throw around dictate.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    I'm going to be trying to introduce my wife to the sport this winter. I hope to make it north sometime this winter. I grew up in NH and that is where the mountains where I learned to ski are, so I've got a particular fondness for them.

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    I used to ski back when I was 16 - 18... Haven't been since, and added a good 125lbs since then too so not sure how well I'd do. My son (he's 9) wants to go snowboarding this winter and I agreed to take him... Might go make a fool out of myself on skis in January.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Im off to the Tetons every year. We ski but I prefer to get out on the sleds. Thats West Yellowstone behind me from about 10k elevation.

Attachments

• RMK.jpg
      RMK.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 106
    • redlion.jpg
      redlion.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 106

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I plan on taking the family to whitetail sat morning 8:30ish. First 250 get something free.

I'll be wearing all brown Burton stuff with an orange helmet (only one I've seen) and on a beater pair of twintips.

Say hi if you see me.
    -John

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    for $25, i'm seriously thinking about going to Whitetail or Roundtop for a half day. Roundtop looks like it should be better tomorrow, since Whitetail will only really have two blue slopes open.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    just confirmed with my buddy. I'm gonna be at Roundtop at about 8:30. I'm short (~5'0") and will be wearing a grey jacket, black ski pants, black and gray boeri helmet. I'll be skiing on K2 Extremes:
    179.jpg

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i was thinking about hitting up round top but looks like all the slopes that are open are mainly green, with some blues and a few blacks. maybe next weekend will be better with more slopes open.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I went to roundtop yesterday morning. Their typical early season stuff was open: minuteman, exhibition, lafayette's leap. Surprisingly, they were making snow on Ramrod (second from the left as you're looking up the hill), but I'd imagine anything they put down there will be gone today.

It was nice to get the cobwebs out and get a feel for my new skis for a few hours. For $25 (with advantage card) it was worthwhile. Roundtop's snowmaking seems to be a lot better than Liberty or Whitetail.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    My boys and I bought blade skis, the ones that are about 18"-20". They're a lot of fun. If you've ever driven a car without power steering, the difference between standard and blade skis is the difference between standard and power steering.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Went to Whitetail Saturday for opening day.

2 blue trails. Fun to get out and skid around until around noon when the snowboarders got tired and would sit 10 wide across the middle of trails in baggy snow camo. Saw 2 get back boared and sleded off the hill. Hit each other.

Makes me wish we had steeper hills here where they can't go. Ya, I hate them. Ask me why.

Here is a random pic I took of my wife. We left shortly afterwards.
    Whitetailopeningday2009252.jpg

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Went to Whitetail Saturday for opening day.

2 blue trails. Fun to get out and skid around until around noon when the snowboarders got tired and would sit 10 wide across the middle of trails in baggy snow camo. Saw 2 get back boared and sleded off the hill. Hit each other.

Makes me wish we had steeper hills here where they can't go. Ya, I hate them. Ask me why.

Yeah, the snowboarders around here are especially obnoxious. They don't seem quite as bad out west, but that could be the lower density and higher average age of people. I think it has to do more with being obnoxious kids than with being snowboarders; people standing in the middle of a trail can be just as annoying. It'd be nice if ski patrol told them to get out of the way, but you can do your part to kindly let them know they aren't sitting in a good location.

If you smear your turns a little, you can kick snow up about waist level on a person who's standing (which is about head level on a person who's sitting in the middle of a trail). Just sayin . . . :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom