• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    patches.jpg

I applied wipe out accelerator and then wipe out foam and went to dinner. When I got back I started running patches through the barrels. I ran them through until there wasn't a huge difference from patch to patch, then wet a patch with Wipeout/patch out (yellow/gold liquid) and start over. When a wet patch came out fairly clean I wipe the bore dry, clean the chamber, receiver and bolt then oil everything. No scrubbing, no brushes, no hassles. Total time not including soak time is ~ an hour with everything wiped and oiled.

Top set of patches is from an m1 carbine. ~20 shots through it.

Bottom left is from a Garand. 96 HXP rounds. Only cleaning I did before this was running a couple wet patches through it without a soak. End of row 2 i started to notice a hint of brown, so I applied more patch out+accelerator and let it sit while I cleaned another gun.

Bottom right is a .223 AR. ~ 400 rounds through it since the last cleaning. Wolf, Federal bulk, and some tracers at the night shoot.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    excellent demo, thanks!

wipe out and patch out have been added to my purchase list.

I've always used Hoppes No 9, and it has mostly worked well for me (and the smell is addicitive...) but it does not produce for me such clear and excellent results. I have a cherry old mauser that I've still never gotten a really clean patch out of, despite endless soap and boiling water, windex, hoppes, oil etc. think I'll test it with your method and see what happens...

thanks again!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Quite some time ago I posted in a thread talking about cleaning products and how my experience with Wipeout was atypical from other members, and therefore wasn't personally sold on it. Apparently I was doing something wrong because the last time out with my SKS, I ran a Wipeout patch down the barrel and did something else for an hour or so. I pulled at least four completely black patches out of the bore and quite a number of filthy ones after that. It got to the point where I was "tired" of getting results!

I don't use it every time, but generally every third time out I'll hit it with Wipeout. Good stuff!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I don't use wipeout and haven't tried it because I read somewhere, can't remember right now where it was but it was in a competitive shooting magazine, that it etches the barrels. They did a test of a number of cleaning products and quite a few of the better ones such as wipeout were guilty of etching the barrels. I don't know if this would effect the accuracy or not but I'd just as soon not find out.

Last edited:

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I use the foaming bore cleaners mainly to remove copper.
    I hated the fumes and excessive brushing with other copper solvents.
    BUTT !!!
    On all my guns no matter how much I clean after the foam treatment I get a blue oxidation in the bores after a month in my safe. Even more so if I shoot a gun and do not clean. I have read that pistol shooter who keep loaded rounds in their guns get this oxidation on the cartridge cases after a week or so.
    I have tried to clean thoroughly after the foam, but I can not seem to get out the residual chemicals.
    Just my $.02

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i just started using wipeout w/ accellerator from using hoppes #9.... night and day difference, hoppes would take me 3 hours to get the rifle barrel as clean as i can w/ wipe out in 30 minutes. I aslo tried some KG 12 copper solvent which works ok, as good as wipe out, but not w/ the accellerator.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    I have read that pistol shooter who keep loaded rounds in their guns get this oxidation on the cartridge cases after a week or so.

FWIW, I have used the foam bore cleaner for some time on all my rifled barrel weapons, including carry weapons that are routinely left loaded in the safe. I have never noticed any blue oxidation residue in my barrels after a cleaning, but I am pretty meticulous about getting the barrels cleaned of any bore cleaners before putting the final patch of teflon spray down the pipe. I think the foams are an excellent product for what they do. I hate cleaning barrels, but I appeciate what a clean one can do for accuracy, so I use it. It started with just the rifles, where the accuracy mattered, but I shifted to using it on my 1911's, because the timing worked out pretty well. In the time it takes me to detail clean a 1911, get it lubed and ready for reassembly, the 45 minutes or so is plenty of time to get the barrel clean when soaked in the barrel foam.
    D

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I don't use wipeout and haven't tried it because I read somewhere, can't remember right now where it was but it was in a competitive shooting magazine, that it etches the barrels. They did a test of a number of cleaning products and quite a few of the better ones such as wipeout were guilty of etching the barrels. I don't know if this would effect the accuracy or not but I'd just as soon not find out.

+1

I've heard the same... don't remember where, though.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I'd heard the exact opposite. That WipeOut was one of the few that DOESN'T etch barrels like Sweet's does. Something to do with the lack of ammonia or the lack of a lead solvent ???. Maybe Mr. E.Shell will chime in since I know that he uses it in his long range rifles and has the correct answer to pretty much every question imaginable :).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd heard the exact opposite. That WipeOut was one of the few that DOESN'T etch barrels like Sweet's does....
    This is the actual situation. After Wipe-Out was introduced, it's huge success, both at removing fouling and in the market, inspired a bunch of copies. Outers foam is one such copy, and there are others. Some copies are very much capable of pitting the bore, and known to do so.

I have been using genuine Wipe-Out foam, Accelerator and Patch-Out for several years now, in OEM barrels like my Remington LTR and VS, as well as in custom match barrels by Hart, Broughton, Bartlein, Schneidier and Shilen and have NEVER had a problem.

I have a Hawkeye bore scope and use it often, so I'm not guessing at anything. I KNOW what the inside of my barrels look like, and they're fine after years of Wipe-Out products.

I love the stuff. I apply it and then go do something useful. I can come back the next morning and push a patch through, get gobs of crap out, re-apply and go do something productive again. When I come back, I can push a few patches through and get a clean, slick bore.

I DID damage a chrome-moly barrel once with cleaning compounds. I got distracted, forgot I was in process and left some SLIP2000 I was testing dry in the bore, and it rusted. Bad. This was clearly MY FAULT, since there are any number of warnings on the SLIP2000 container about keeping parts completely covered to exclude oxygen, and against allowing it to remain on parts for extended periods of time. *I failed* to follow directions and caused the damage myself. It is a very thorough degreaser and hygroscopic, and rust is just the next logical result for unprotected parts. I still use it to cut carbon on handguns and AR parts, but I'm very careful to follow directions and either keep the parts submerged, or immediately rinse and oil them.

I have forgotten to patch out barrels treated with Wipe-Out, and no damage is done.

Other than leaving nasty stuff in the bore too long, like Sweets, imitation foam products or SLIP2000, most damage is done by brushing, which is completely eliminated with the use of Wipe-Out.

I've said it before: "If you're not using Wipe-Out, you're working too hard."

Hunter

Aug 31, 2009
    Where do you get it?
    I've never seen it... not that I knew what to look for.

I've got an old Mosin Nagant with a sewer pipe barrel that I'd love to test this on.

I have yet to get a clean patch out of that rifle. This would be a good test.

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Where do you get it?
    I've never seen it... not that I knew what to look for.

I've got an old Mosin Nagant with a sewer pipe barrel that I'd love to test this on.

I have yet to get a clean patch out of that rifle. This would be a good test.

Not to be a wet blanket but I have spent days soaking and scrubbing an MN 91/30 and still get some residue on the patch. I've had this same problem with an Indian Enfield. The up side is that these are the ones that make good test cases for trying new cleaners.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hunter, I don't know anyone local. You can get it mail-order from the maker (http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm), Midway has it and so do many shooting supply places.

Gunner71, it has worked in 4 or 5 Mosins for me, as well as a few AKs and SKSs. It may require several treatments to eat through the many layers, but it WILL get it clean.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is the actual situation. After Wipe-Out was introduced, it's huge success, both at removing fouling and in the market, inspired a bunch of copies. Outers foam is one such copy, and there are others. Some copies are very much capable of pitting the bore, and known to do so.

I have been using genuine Wipe-Out foam, Accelerator and Patch-Out for several years now, in OEM barrels like my Remington LTR and VS, as well as in custom match barrels by Hart, Broughton, Bartlein, Schneidier and Shilen and have NEVER had a problem.

I have a Hawkeye bore scope and use it often, so I'm not guessing at anything. I KNOW what the inside of my barrels look like, and they're fine after years of Wipe-Out products.

I love the stuff. I apply it and then go do something useful. I can come back the next morning and push a patch through, get gobs of crap out, re-apply and go do something productive again. When I come back, I can push a few patches through and get a clean, slick bore.

I DID damage a chrome-moly barrel once with cleaning compounds. I got distracted, forgot I was in process and left some SLIP2000 I was testing dry in the bore, and it rusted. Bad. This was clearly MY FAULT, since there are any number of warnings on the SLIP2000 container about keeping parts completely covered to exclude oxygen, and against allowing it to remain on parts for extended periods of time. *I failed* to follow directions and caused the damage myself. It is a very thorough degreaser and hygroscopic, and rust is just the next logical result for unprotected parts. I still use it to cut carbon on handguns and AR parts, but I'm very careful to follow directions and either keep the parts submerged, or immediately rinse and oil them.

I have forgotten to patch out barrels treated with Wipe-Out, and no damage is done.

Other than leaving nasty stuff in the bore too long, like Sweets, imitation foam products or SLIP2000, most damage is done by brushing, which is completely eliminated with the use of Wipe-Out.

I've said it before: "If you're not using Wipe-Out, you're working too hard."

Excellent summary! :thumbsup: Thanks for writing that up.

My results are identical. :)

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Hunter, I don't know anyone local. You can get it mail-order from the maker (http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm), Midway has it and so do many shooting supply places.

Gunner71, it has worked in 4 or 5 Mosins for me, as well as a few AKs and SKSs. It may require several treatments to eat through the many layers, but it WILL get it clean.

Thanks Ed, I think you've convinced me to give it a shot:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom