• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I've been reloading since the 90's, 9's, 38/357 and 45 ACP/Colt/Auto Rim. Have seen lots of people posting lately that they are using truncated cone bullets. My question is why? What is the advantage over round nose. I don't think I've seen any factory TCs, but then since I'm a reloader, I don't spend much time exploring factory ammo.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Truncated has a wide meplat.

To crush and tear skin, muscle, organs, etc.

Round nose bullets gently push things out of the way.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Ammo for lever guns needs to have a hollow point or a flat point. Round nose in a tube mag of centerfire cartridges can end up being a bad time.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Truncated has a wide meplat.

To crush and tear skin, muscle, organs, etc.

Round nose bullets gently push things out of the way.
    I could see this as an advantage. I barrel tested some 9mm rounds and hollow points for expansion and alloy testing. The round nose with WW lead, air cooled round nose bullets did not expand at all. They came out of the barrel the same diameter as my G17 barrel. Even though semi softer lead. It was still just a hole puncher.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They have been around for a long time, they tend to cut cleaner holes in paper, and feed well, pretty much Jacketed SWCs for semi-autos. They can potentially perform better than RN in defensive use, but the difference is minor, they do offer a slightly shorter OAL than RN profiles. It's part of the reason they were used in 40S&W in the interest of shortening 10mm down to fit in a 9mm frame, but the design does pre-date that caliber.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For the men reading this, most 10mm bullets are truncated cone design.
    Blah, blah, blah. That's just another way of saying one admits they are gay and the other claims they are straight, but likes butt stuff.

.44/.45 are the only men's calibers

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They have been around for a long time, they tend to cut cleaner holes in paper, and feed well, pretty much Jacketed SWCs for semi-autos. They can potentially perform better than RN in defensive use, but the difference is minor, they do offer a slightly shorter OAL than RN profiles. It's part of the reason they were used in 40S&W in the interest of shortening 10mm down to fit in a 9mm frame, but the design does pre-date that caliber.
    Some of the that (the shorter OAL) too. You get a hair more case capacity for the same bullet weight compared to a RN.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Blah, blah, blah. That's just another way of saying one admits they are gay and the other claims they are straight, but likes butt stuff.

.44/.45 are the only men's calibers

My .41's are demanding recognition, and my .500 is laughing .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My .41's are demanding recognition, and my .500 is laughing .
    .500s are just novelty size. No chick actually likes that, despite what you'll see on the internet.

And .41, well any port in a storm, but you know she wants something bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom