• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    So tonight while doing some Christmas shopping we saw a pink little Buck knife that my wife wants me to get for her. Question is, what are the legalities of her carrying it in her purse? Not sure if I'm going to get her the buck, but I was curious about the law. Hopefully a LEO can chime in.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I don't think i would be any different then us carrying it in our pocket . She would have less to worry about if she would SLOW DOWN :innocent0

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    If it's a folding knife of any kind, of any blade length, it's legal to carry concealed or however she wants. Pocket or purse is fine.

I've done a ton of research on knife laws in general, and on Maryland's specifically. Basically it all stems from Criminal Code 4-101, which prohibits the carry of certain weapons concealed on or about the person. However, "penknives" are explicitly exempt from this law. The courts have ruled that a "penknife" means any knife who's blade folds into its own handle, no matter it's size or how it is carried. This includes knives with thumb-studs to open them one-handed, and butterfly knives.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    If it's a folding knife of any kind, of any blade length, it's legal to carry concealed or however she wants. Pocket or purse is fine.

I've done a ton of research on knife laws in general, and on Maryland's specifically. Basically it all stems from Criminal Code 4-101, which prohibits the carry of certain weapons concealed on or about the person. However, "penknives" are explicitly exempt from this law. The courts have ruled that a "penknife" means any knife who's blade folds into its own handle, no matter it's size or how it is carried. This includes knives with thumb-studs to open them one-handed, and butterfly knives.

What about spring assisted? I'm leaning towards one of those for her like a kershaw or SOG

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    What about spring assisted? I'm leaning towards one of those for her like a kershaw or SOG

I did a bunch of research awhile ago when I was looking at EDC blades, and the one stipulation I found was that it cannot be opened with a button (i.e. switch blades/autos), but spring assisted is just fine, as that is what I EDC.

I'd look into the Flash series if you're going spring assisted, the flash I is much smaller than the II, but both are really solid blades and lightweight.

I'd wait on a solid LEO answer to be sure though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If it folds, it's basically legal to carry open or concealed provided there isn't a local law, you don't have state pre-emption to protect aggaint asanine local laws like you do with firearms. There are a few case laws differentating autos/switchblades from assisted opening, so generally AOs are considered pen-knives and nothing more. If she likes the buck, get it for her, if she isn't dead set on it, then get her something cool, a limited edition Spyderco Native perhaps.

C41PN_L.jpg

cb51

Buy her the Buck knife she liked. It's her choice and for whatever reason, it's got something about it that caught her attention. It's about what she wants. After almost 20 years with the same woman, I know that it's not about what I want, or think is cool. Buying her anything but what she obviously picked out will be a mistake.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I did a bunch of research awhile ago when I was looking at EDC blades, and the one stipulation I found was that it cannot be opened with a button (i.e. switch blades/autos), but spring assisted is just fine, as that is what I EDC.

My own research support this as well (by research I mean going to court houses, reading transcripts, interviewing State prosecutors and talking to several LEOs).

The differentiation of a penknife from a switchblade is under CR 4-105, which uses the magic words "device in the handle of the knife," the same language used in the federal statutes and most other states. This language excludes spring-assisted because they have no release mechanism in the handle.

I'd wait on a solid LEO answer to be sure though.

I wouldn't. Maryland actually has a federal case where a cop got taken to court (and soundly defeated, twice) for falsely arresting a man that had a completely legal pocket knife. Cops are human and make mistakes too, and knife laws have a tendency to be very low on their priority for memorizing legal details. Bigger fish to fry in the line of duty. The good news is that LEOs will never even look for a knife if you're not acting like a hooligan.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'm always confused why a LEO response is so sought after. Not denigrating their contributions, but thread after thread shows that they're often as clueless as the rest of us (see thread after thread where someone from MSP says we have to store 100 rounds of ammo in a safe etc). No matter who types it, it's still some guy on the internet. Until someone posts a link to an actual law or something official...you're rolling the dice.

I'd just do what everyone else does. Pick a knife, put it in your pocket/purse.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    So tonight while doing some Christmas shopping we saw a pink little Buck knife that my wife wants me to get for her. Question is, what are the legalities of her carrying it in her purse? Not sure if I'm going to get her the buck, but I was curious about the law. Hopefully a LEO can chime in.

Does she want a knife for utility purposes, self defense, or both?

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex

Assisted opening is OK. As long as its not automatic. Pushing the thumb stud or flipper on back side which opens the blade some then a spring takes it over is OK. Pushing a button on the handle or sliding a lever is not. As long as what you are pushing to open it is part of the blade it seems ok. This is an example of not legal. Push button to open=illegal
    boker-01kals65b-front.jpg

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Boker-65th-Anniversary-Kalashnikov--10908

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Both, but more self defense. Though if you've ever seen my wife, her with a knife still isn't really intimidating.

It shouldn't be. The BG's reaction should be "Aha, easy prey-OW! I"M BLEEDING!!"

Now I'll hold back my usual rant about knives for self-defense, and just say:
    Pocket knife + no training + no other weapon + no hand-to-hand training = bad plan.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    get her something cool, a limited edition Spyderco Native perhaps.

C41PN_L.jpg

That's exactly what I bought for my wife. It is slim and very light, especially with the clip removed. My wife keeps a Spyderco Ladybug on her key chain and the pink Native in her car's center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom