Will all states be required to issue non-resident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whateverbro

BANNED!!!
    Jul 8, 2022
    Savage, MD
    Because of the recent SOCTUS ruling making all states 'shall issue' states, does this mean all states are required to issue non-resident conceal carry permits? Until this happens or until all states reciprocate, aren't most of us still not allowed to carry in many other states despite obtaining a MD CCW? CCW's should be like a driver's license.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Because of the recent SOCTUS ruling making all states 'shall issue' states, does this mean all states are required to issue non-resident conceal carry permits? Until this happens or until all states reciprocate, aren't most of us still not allowed to carry in many other states despite obtaining a MD CCW? CCW's should be like a driver's license.
    No, the Bruen case does not compel a state to issue non-resident permits.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Keep in mind, 25 of the 50 states are already Constitutional carry. I moved to New Hampshire, which is Constitutional carry, as is neighboring states Vermont and Maine. The only state that isn't is Massachusetts, and they are issuing non-resident permits, now. I just mailed in my application this morning.

whateverbro

BANNED!!!
    Jul 8, 2022
    Savage, MD
    Keep in mind, 25 of the 50 states are already Constitutional carry. I moved to New Hampshire, which is Constitutional carry, as is neighboring states Vermont and Maine. The only state that isn't is Massachusetts, and they are issuing non-resident permits, now. I just mailed in my application this morning.

True. I have both Utah and FL non-resident permit so I'm covered in the majority of states. Just wishfully hoping for a single permit.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    If the Fed DOJ actually had any interest in 2A civil rights, a CCW in one state would be valid in another state; just like a driver's license.

The concept of me having to pay all of the $ to get a CCW in CA, and then pay more (not much but still) to get the UT CCW to cover more states, and then more than CA $ to get a MD CCW is absolutely nuts.

There is a thread on here of someone paying >6K for CCW for him and his wife for, IDK like 48 states.

But the driver's license is a privilege, while the 2A is a right.

And the Fed DOJ picks and chooses the civil rights they work for and 2A is not one of them.

And the MF'ers in congress should pass a law to codify this. But that's wishful thinking.

Welcome to the forum. As mentioned before, intro's are preferred here.

PS: FJB!

whateverbro

BANNED!!!
    Jul 8, 2022
    Savage, MD
    Welcome the the forum. When you get a chance, maybe introduce yourself with a thread.

Reciprocity, or the possibility, is a reasonably hot topic being discussed in several places on MDS.

Hi, You can call me whateverbro, from Howard County (Savage) MD. Been a casual viewer of the site for many years. Anything specifically you'd like to know (I'll gladly share if not too personal)?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hi, You can call me whateverbro, from Howard County (Savage) MD. Been a casual viewer of the site for many years. Anything specifically you'd like to know (I'll gladly share if not too personal)?
    I think he meant in the introductions sub forum...LOL.

welcome.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks.

We have a custom of using an introduction thread.

You offer whatever you think might help existing members get to know you better. If you read some of them, you might get a better feel for what to share.

…or not.

Good luck with your stay.

9mmkungfu

Dec 26, 2021
    The $100, one year temporary non resident permit?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The $100, one year temporary non resident permit?
    Correct. Massachusetts is $100 per year. You have to go to Chelsea MA for the initial permit interview. For the following 5 years you can renew each year by mail. On the 6th year you have to appear again.

You also need specific training by a MA approved instructor. Closest one to me was in Wilmington DE.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My wife and I spent over $6,000 to acquire permits from as many states as possible to maximize our reciprocity. I could have saved a lot of money if I knew then what I know now.

If you want to maximize the places you can carry as a Maryland resident it is going to take some planning and money, but if you follow my advice you will save a good deal of money.

The best way to go about this is to do the following:

Take a combined Maryland & D.C. Training Class. Some instructors will also offer Utah Training as an add on. This type of combined class will allow you to apply for a Maryland Washington DC and Utah permit. A combined class like this for the Utah adult probably cost you a minimum of $400.

Take a combined NRA Basic Handgun and Massachusetts LTC002 class. Before booking and doing the live fire qualification ask them to certify you for the Rhode Island qualification. This class will give you the necessary certificates to apply for Massachusetts Rhode Island, Connecticut and Florida. A combined class like this will run you a minimum of $200.

I plan to apply for NJ but the NJSP has not created an approved training program yet. Lots of people are saying "only a range qual is needed" but that may not be ccurate based on what I'm reading. You may need a class AND a range qual and no one knows what the class truly is. Some are doing just the range qual and hoping for the best when applying. Not even instructors in NJ are guaranteeing the training they're offering will be accepted by the NJ. I'm waiting it out a bit.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    My wife and I spent over $6,000 to acquire permits from as many states as possible to maximize our reciprocity. I could have saved a lot of money if I knew then what I know now.

If you want to maximize the places you can carry as a Maryland resident it is going to take some planning and money, but if you follow my advice you will save a good deal of money.

Take a combined Maryland & D.C. Training Class. Some instructors will also offer Utah Training as an add on. This type of combined class will allow you to apply for a Maryland Washington DC and Utah permit. A combined class like this for the Utah adult probably cost you a minimum of $400.

Take a combined NRA Basic Handgun and Massachusetts LTC002 class. When you were doing the live fire qualification ask them to certify you for the Rhode Island qualification. This class will give you the necessary certificates to apply for Massachusetts Rhode Island, Connecticut and Florida. A combined class like this will run you a minimum of $200.

I plan to apply for NJ but the NJSP has not created an approved training program yet. Lots of people are saying "only a range qual is needed" but that's not accurate based on what I'm reading. You need a class AND a range qual and no one knows what the class truly is. Some are doing just the range qual and hoping for the best when applying. Not even instructors in NJ are guaranteeing the training they're offering will be accepted by the NJ.
    I am praying brother that you can recoup a lot of your spent monies because of all the unconstitutional BS- Not talking on some fees but exorbident costs because they want to make it difficult and bilk you

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am praying brother that you can recoup a lot of your spent monies because of all the unconstitutional BS- Not talking on some fees but exorbident costs because they want to make it difficult and bilk you
    Unfortunately govt is worse than a rabid pittbull when it comes to returning money, he would have better luck wrestling a cheeseburger from a starved pitbull.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015

Take a combined NRA Basic Handgun and Massachusetts LTC002 class. Before booking and doing the live fire qualification ask them to certify you for the Rhode Island qualification. This class will give you the necessary certificates to apply for Massachusetts Rhode Island, Connecticut and Florida. A combined class like this will run you a minimum of $200.

I plan to apply for NJ but the NJSP has not created an approved training program yet. Lots of people are saying "only a range qual is needed" but that's not accurate based on what I'm reading. You need a class AND a range qual and no one knows what the class truly is. Some are doing just the range qual and hoping for the best when applying. Not even instructors in NJ are guaranteeing the training they're offering will be accepted by the NJ.

Anyone know any local instructors doing the combined NRA basic handgun and Mass. LTC002 class?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Unfortunately govt is worse than a rabid pittbull when it comes to returning money, he would have better luck wrestling a cheeseburger from a starved pitbull.

If others are like Maryland, permit fees are non-refundable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Anyone know any local instructors doing the combined NRA basic handgun and Mass. LTC002 class?
    The Massachusetts SP has a website to find the MA instructors. The one I used was the closest for me (I'm in Elkton). He is based out of Wilmington DE. Brian Bockrath.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks my friend. I went into this journey knowing I would be raped financially. The good news is we can legally carry in a lot of places to protect ourselves and our children.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Man that would be nice. Clandestine can get in to break down of costs (because he knows and I am just pulling it from memory/my butt), but I think I remember him mentioning it awhile back (a few months? A year or two ago?) and I think those costs are all up. It isn't just (or even mostly?) fees, but includes the costs of various training, fingerprinting, as well as travel to get permits.

I am POSITIVE I am missing some states, but when I was recently looking at state fees, most aren't all that much even if it is a pokeman approach to permitting rather than targeting the fewest permits to carry the most places. A lot of states are very nominal fees in the $20-40 range if a permit is even required. A few are more expensive like FL is $100 ish (but require fingerprints for non-residents and the fingerprint fee is part of that). I haven't looked at the few like NJ and NY though. But training for sure adds up fast, as can travel if you have to appear in person (PA also requires appearing in person, but fortunately for us Marylanders, that isn't a huge imposition for most of us as its only minutes to maybe 2hrs away from the furthest part of the state).

At least for me, I am probably just going to get FL and PA permits once I have my Maryland permit. That'll cover me in almost all states I am likely to visit where I'd want to carry. I might look to get a DC permit, but I don't plan to carry in DC. Anything more than MD+PA+FL+DC I am going to wait till the next year or three of lawsuits and court decisions work themselves out. Ideally reciprocity happens and then my MD permit is all I'll need everywhere (hey, maybe CC happens, but I think there is about a 3% chance of that happening even with the Thomas court). But at least some states are in desperate need of a smack down like NY and NJ (there's some chance I'd be traveling through NY/NJ to get up to VT/NH/ME). So I'll wait and see what judicially imposed permitting scheme those states have before I take time, effort, and money to try to get permits for all of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom