• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Oh, don't worry.

You'll soon see all of that Greek ammo showing up at gun shows and shops for double the price thanks to all of the commercial interests that have been raiding the CMP so that they can turn around and sell it to the general public at scalpers' prices. :sad20:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    There will be an announcement from CMP in approximately 90 days.....(says Orest)

I expect ammo to return, but obviously not at the same price and with limits intact.

I do hope they reserve some for clubs that have shooting matches and verify that their orders correlate to attendance.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just checked and My order is still pending from 5/09 500 rds 30 carbine Maybe I should have ordered more

Mine is still pending from 4/14. Guy I talked to a few months ago, (when they shipped my ten-can-limit of HXP) checked with a supervisor, and told me I could expect the carbine ammo in September.

Weren't they saying last year they had enough of that HXP .30-06 to last years and years and years?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Guys were showing up at the store and buying 10-20000 rounds at a time and re selling it at local gunshows. Some were just hoarding it for Armageddon.

The Chinese and Korean stuff is corrosive (at least as far as I know). No thanks.

Carbine ammo is held up by Aguilla and the whole component shortage. Backlog has gotten so big that CMP is at risk for selling carbine and 22 cal ammo for less than they are paying for it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Guys were showing up at the store and buying 10-20000 rounds at a time and re selling it at local gunshows. Some were just hoarding it for Armageddon.

The Chinese and Korean stuff is corrosive (at least as far as I know). No thanks.

Carbine ammo is held up by Aguilla and the whole component shortage. Backlog has gotten so big that CMP is at risk for selling carbine and 22 cal ammo for less than they are paying for it.

Corrosive ammo if the only game in town will do if one cleans their weapon that night. The Korean is supposed to be "slightly corrosive" not my 1st choice but again if it's the only game in town.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    A year or so back CMP announced they had about 7 years of ammo avail (HXP).

I don't think they're sold out of Greek 3006 but they're so far behind in orders that I suspect that they are letting things cool down before they start selling what's left....and when they do sell off what's remaining there will be strict limits on amounts individuals are allowed to purchase.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I was going to buy 3-4 more spam cans but hadn't submitted an order as my wallet is recovering from an AR build. I started reloading 168 BTHP's but pay like $0.28 just for the bullets. Add powder and primer and you're up to $0.44, about the price of CMP ammo shipped. My father (and reloading partner) told me to stop wasting the match bullets and just shoot CMP until I got good.

Paul

Nov 12, 2008
    SoMD
    I just checked and My order is still pending from 5/09 500 rds 30 carbine Maybe I should have ordered more

Hopefully you will be getting your order soon. I placed an order for 30 Carbine on 15 Apr and the Fed-Ex truck delivered it on 28 Sep.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Email From CMP after checking status of my order

Dear Sir
    we can't give you an exact date but it should be within the next 3-4 weeks. The next time we get carbine ammo in your order should be one of the ones that gets filled but we just don't know when the next ammo will make it to us. If you still don't have it by mid October send us another email and we will see what we can find out.

CMP CUSTOMER SERVICE
    custserve@odcmp.com
    256-835-8455

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I actually cancelled my 30 carbine order (lucked into 3000 rounds at an estate sale)

I have 6 cans left on the table for this years quota, if they reopen sales at some point I'll fill it. I am, however, quite prepared with 3006 already.

I've also started reloading 3006.

Try golden west brass for bullets (150's or 168's).

My big concern is for club matches. Without cheap M2ball, it'll be roll your own for the matches at thurmont and elsewhere.

If CMP does have a limited supply with no more on the way, my vote would be to hold it for clubs and limit their orders based on reported participation in matches. Clubs report scores and participation to the CMP. I.e. if you had 1000 shooters last year you are limited to 5500 rounds for this year, with an option to increase if attendence is up.

CMP is also using the Hornady match M2 at the games.

CMP can order a million rounds at a time so I assume federal would give them a decent price....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom