Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

65 Acres of Prime Hunting Land with a Cabin​

Harrison County Online Real Estate Auction Bidding begins clogging Wednesday, August 30th at 7:00PM Preview & Inspection: By Appointment 411 Harris Fork Road, Wallace, WV 65 Acres of Prime Hunting Land with a Cabin
    Surface only - is that real estate speak for no mineral rights?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

65 Acres of Prime Hunting Land with a Cabin​

Harrison County Online Real Estate Auction Bidding begins clogging Wednesday, August 30th at 7:00PM Preview & Inspection: By Appointment 411 Harris Fork Road, Wallace, WV 65 Acres of Prime Hunting Land with a Cabin
    Flood Zone, Parcel, and Google Earth maps for reference.

The biggest problem I can see, outside of the cabin needing a lot of work, or a complete teardown, is this:
    Seller is conveying surface rights only with no oil, gas, coal, mineral, or other subsurface interests conveyed unless otherwise noted.

You're smack in the middle of mine country. The "lake" at the bottom center of the Google Earth image is wastewater impoundment for a coal mine. There's active timbering off the to west on the next hill, and there is at least one older and likely marginal gas well on the south half of the acreage and what looks to be another well, or someone's dead relatives at the top of the hill on the north half of the acreage. No telling what's underneath you, and if a coal company has the mineral rights, and they want to access the coal under your hill, they'll do what they please to get to it.

Not trying to discourage anyone by any means, but definitely do some research if you're going to bid.

Attachments

• Flood Zone.png
      Flood Zone.png
      641.8 KB · Views: 65
    • Parcels.png
      Parcels.png
      27.1 KB · Views: 66
    • Screenshot 2023-08-02 191414.png
      Screenshot 2023-08-02 191414.png
      383.9 KB · Views: 64

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sharing this one since I'm not in the place to buy it. It's got a minimal HOA. Only 2 Acres, but it'd make a nice getaway for anyone in the DC area since it's just the other side of Winchester, only 1.5 hours from most of MoCo.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Sharing this one since I'm not in the place to buy it. It's got a minimal HOA. Only 2 Acres, but it'd make a nice getaway for anyone in the DC area since it's just the other side of Winchester, only 1.5 hours from most of MoCo.

Pretty close to me - about 45 miles per the map. Now, I just gotta get the Mrs on board (and kids out of school, and $ and .).. aw crap! Still stuck in MerryLand as Son SixoSix sez

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Did anyone look at this one?. Near ATR and Ridge Runners gun stores. In 2A friendly community.

leakytire

Aug 1, 2022
    Greenwood, DE.
    I've registered for the sale (the 22 acres) but have not been approved yet- not sure if my situation will allow actually buying but would like to be ready just in case :) I really like the area.
    -Simon

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I've registered for the sale (the 22 acres) but have not been approved yet- not sure if my situation will allow actually buying but would like to be ready just in case :) I really like the area.
    -Simon

Ive been in the garages. They need torn dow. The house probably not so bad. Short time ago the yard did have a big sink hole that was filled in. Last year I think or early this year.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Looks like someone spent a lot of effort to renovate the cabin and never got around to enjoy it. Not much money for what it is.

leakytire

Aug 1, 2022
    Greenwood, DE.
    Ive been in the garages. They need torn dow. The house probably not so bad. Short time ago the yard did have a big sink hole that was filled in. Last year I think or early this year.
    Thank you for that; I will probably just be a tire-kicker on this one; if I were a little younger (and a little more ambitious) things would be different. The acreage being on the slope of the hill (mountain?) does lend itself to the harvest of wildlife though, as it is easy to drag downhill not so much uphill!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thank you for that; I will probably just be a tire-kicker on this one; if I were a little younger (and a little more ambitious) things would be different. The acreage being on the slope of the hill (mountain?) does lend itself to the harvest of wildlife though, as it is easy to drag downhill not so much uphill!
    I just have to comment on the appropriateness of your user name in regards to your comment...

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Oh yes. Lots of deer and turkey. Don’t see much squirrel activity, but that’s probably because of so much woods. I may bid, but I don’t want to bid against you.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    That large sinkhole GTOGunner referenced earlier would scare the hell out of me. What is going on underneath that soil the home rests on?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just checked. 08/10. 21k is currently the high bid. I heard rumors that the owner offered to one of the neighbors for 90k. Neighbor said no thanks.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That large sinkhole GTOGunner referenced earlier would scare the hell out of me. What is going on underneath that soil the home rests on?

Most of that area of Wv has been mined years ago. No records exist. Apparently there was a damn up the creek, maybe to run a mill or something. Just a guess on my part. Just bid accordingly.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    4.5 acres of river frontage on the Cacapon with a tiny home and one heck of a nice garage that could easily be turned into a "Barndominium." Water, Septic/Sewer, and Electric there. HOA, but only $165/year. It'd make a nice camp for those with more means than I. Probably one to keep an eye on to see if it drops to a more reasonable price as the market continues to settle down in the more rural areas. It's just below the old power dam, so very close to the Potomac and the MD border.

A bit further up river, but still south of the Forks of Capon, is this nice one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/422-Cliff-Dr-Great-Cacapon-WV-25422/2057025936_zpid/

Less land, but still has river frontage, no chance of flooding for the house, and it's rather nice inside (turn-key). Would make a nice getaway or retirement if you are a fan of fishing.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Did anyone look at this one?. Near ATR and Ridge Runners gun stores. In 2A friendly community.

Forgot to follow up. This place sold for 132k sight unseen to a young couple from above New York. I think they made a mistake. But maybe they were looking for freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom