• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Unless I'm mistaken, both have shows this weekend.

I could go to either, although Chantilly would be about 60 miles closer for me.

Is one supposedly better than the other?

Any reason to have a preference?

I'll be looking for non-regulated stuff, so no worries about FFL transfers.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'll have to swing up and check out the York show at some point - I can tell you this: I did not enjoy the last Chantilly show I went to. It was a freaking zoo in there with so many people jamming the aisles that you could hardly move around to see anything, and there were no deals - most of the vendors had their prices jacked up. Simply laws of supply and demand really, but it was almost as if the whole crowd was in some kind of panicked frenzy to buy up all the ammo and reloading supplies available. As it was, I barely got out of there with the primers I went to buy, and I did not find the powder I wanted.

Maybe it has calmed some since the last time I was out - I certainly hope that's the case.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Given the increase of supply on almost everything in stores, I am expecting to find a kinder, gentler show. Also being away from the money of DC should help as well. That area of PA is not exactly "wealthy".

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Good, then I'm going.
    What can i expect?

The last York show I went to was the machine gun show. Basically a regular gun show plus some really cool full auto stuff. Old water cooled guns, 50 cals, 30 cals, gatling guns, uzis.

The show wasn't overly crowded, I found a few good deals on ammo and you can get things like 30 rnd mags.

It seems like ammo is still high priced though. Even higher than 2 months ago. I was able to find .40 at about $15 a box but now the cheapest I see is $18 a box.

Still - I'm going this weekend.

ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    I saw certain dealers at the last Chantilly show refusing to sell even unregulated firearms to Maryland residents. A buddy of mine was rejected from buying an HBAR AR by two different dealers once they saw his Maryland drivers license. A third dealer told him he needed a passport in addition to his drivers license (even though he had multiple forms of ID with him). He spent all day picking out a gun, went back to buy it and was rejected. Very disappointing. It seemed to be happening with VA-based dealers, but that could have been a coincidence. Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone have this trouble in York? If not, are there any unique features of PA law I shoudl be awarte of if I make the trip to York? Thanks.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    I went and did the York Gun show in May and it was pretty decent. A lot of tables, *mostly* polite vendors, some crazies. The oddest thing i witnessed was a table selling mason jars filled with thermite. Pretty sure you get put on a Napolitano list for just looking at that. Its a good sized venue, so you won't feel too claustrophobic. If you go to York, keep an eye out for a dude named Top Hat. My wife, buddy, and I got a kick outta him. He had a bunch of mil surp odds and ends and cleaning items, and everyone who bought something from him got change in the form of 50cent pieces.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    I saw certain dealers at the last Chantilly show refusing to sell even unregulated firearms to Maryland residents. A buddy of mine was rejected from buying an HBAR AR by two different dealers once they saw his Maryland drivers license. A third dealer told him he needed a passport in addition to his drivers license (even though he had multiple forms of ID with him). He spent all day picking out a gun, went back to buy it and was rejected. Very disappointing. It seemed to be happening with VA-based dealers, but that could have been a coincidence. Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone have this trouble in York? If not, are there any unique features of PA law I shoudl be awarte of if I make the trip to York? Thanks.

I would suggest bringing a business card of your fav (or convenient) FFL dealer in MD and maybe calling them ahead of time. A lot of how you will be treated at the show will depend on what you are looking to buy. When I was at the PA York show I bought my AR no-problemo and had the regulated lower receiver shipped to Stateline Gun Exchange (GOOD PEOPLE!) in Emmitsburg, MD for the legal transfer.

My wife was treated very differently by another dealer she was attempting to purchase a handgun from. At first he almost outright refused to even deal with her and even thought it necessary to berate her for living in MD. After explaining to him that we were looking to have it transfer *LEGALLY* to a MD FFL he considered the sale. But, then he refused to work with us any further because the Sig handgun we were looking to buy did not have a spent casing, and thus either he couldn't (or wouldn't) ship it to our FFL. I am not sure what the legalities are behind this, but I do know for sure that he was a douche.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    I went and did the York Gun show in May and it was pretty decent. A lot of tables, *mostly* polite vendors, some crazies. The oddest thing i witnessed was a table selling mason jars filled with thermite. Pretty sure you get put on a Napolitano list for just looking at that. Its a good sized venue, so you won't feel too claustrophobic. If you go to York, keep an eye out for a dude named Top Hat. My wife, buddy, and I got a kick outta him. He had a bunch of mil surp odds and ends and cleaning items, and everyone who bought something from him got change in the form of 50cent pieces.

Yea Top hat is at lot of these shows. Sort of an interesting mix between a crazy gun guy, the indian from Josie Wales and Arlo Guthrie. Nice guy though.

I think the thing with thermite is you can buy it but utilizing it in something like an incendiary bomb is pretty difficult for the average person. I have heard of people lighting piles of the stuff with a large 4th of July sparkler but other than that I think ignition is pretty difficult. A bunch of M-80s or black powder is probably more dangerous.

But I'm not a demo guy.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America

He should have gone out and gotten more money and tips from the Dateline or 20/20 crew than :innocent0

Overall though I like the York show... too bad it looks like I have to miss this one :( Maybe I will try the Chantilly one finaly... I here they have a good hooters there

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A third dealer told him he needed a passport in addition to his drivers license (even though he had multiple forms of ID with him).
    That's a bunch of BS right there - you can't demand that someone present a form of ID that's completely elective. Until just recently, I never had a passport because there was never a need for me to have one. I think that the guy was just trying to be an ass because he didn't want to deal with the intricacies of selling to a Maryland resident.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    That's a bunch of BS right there - you can't demand that someone present a form of ID that's completely elective. Until just recently, I never had a passport because there was never a need for me to have one. I think that the guy was just trying to be an ass because he didn't want to deal with the intricacies of selling to a Maryland resident.

Just imagine the look on his face when I pull mine out...

;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Top Hat's selection is awesome. Whenever I went to the Upper Marlboro show it was a must to stop at Top Hat. I am glad he still goes to the Upper Marlboro show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom