• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Heres mine. I found ZRAK/Mauser Mounts and refinished the wood.

]

Your rifle is beautiful, no question about it. But let's please not hijack srbenda's thread. He's been working on his Mauser for a while and deserves our focus on his project.
    :innocent0

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Sorry I thought it was a general Mauser thread.

Pics deleted.

dude, put your pics back up, I want to see 'em. I've had little time for the past week or so, but I am planning to get back on it tomorrow afternoon.

I have to put another coat onto the stock, and then re-assemble.

Sounds easy, right? I bet I'll screw it up somehow.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Thread from the Dead!

So...my Mauser is all reassembled, I can't say it's the best looking gun in the world, but I did all the work, so I'm sure I can improve with practice.

However, one small issue remains.

When I pull the trigger, I get a weak, barely definable "click". This seems much different than other guns I have dry-fired that produce a pretty noisy click. Is this usual for the Mauser, or do I have an issue with my firing pin?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I cooked that thing in hot water for about 1/2 hour. So I would hope that got it all out, is that typically long enough?

Srbenda. Resurrecting an old thread isn't a bad thing. I've wondered if you got your Mauser into shooting condition.

Take the bolt apart. The Striker Spring could be bad too.

Get a new Wolf 22 LB. striker spring http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles & Shotguns/MAUSER/1898/cID2/mID40/dID175
    Then you will never have a problem shooting any type surplus ammo including Romanian :thumbsup:

Both clandestine and Garand are spot on if your spring is the issue. It could be your problem.

I cleaned (I thought) the be-jesus out of one of my Yugo Mauser bolts but it STILL refused to consistently fire certain ammo. I finally found my problem. There was a small "Cheerio" of dried up cosmoline packed down inside the bolt behind the bolt face. It was "just" enough to keep the firing pin from fully protruding. I confess - I should have found it earlier. Check your bolt thoroughly and completely!

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Assuming the spring is bad, is there anyway to inspect it and tell, or should I just replace it anyway?

I'm sure somewhere there is a piece of equipment that can measure spring resistance and compression :shrug: .
    Keeping in mind that the spring is about 60 years old if it seems to be weak replace it.
    New ones are cheap enough .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom