• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BATFE has already ruled that CNC of a lower is NOT legal, unless you write your own CNC code.

Pushing the button on someone else's code is NOT legal, the person who wrote the code is then an unlicensed manufacturer.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    BATFE has already ruled that CNC of a lower is NOT legal, unless you write your own CNC code.

Pushing the button on someone else's code is NOT legal, the person who wrote the code is then an unlicensed manufacturer.
    So make a minor alteration to the code in a way that doesn't affect the final product. Then the code is essentially "yours."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    YOU can explain how the code is now yours to the BATFE.

I want nothing to do with that situation.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Agreed.. and how can you justify spending that kind of money just to finish your own lowers and do nothing else with it? At least with a good drill press, mini mill or vertical mill, you can do more than finish a few AR lowers.. :lol2:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea how the BATF would view it but in the tech world, companies copy software code all of the time and change around a line or two. The company they copy ends up suing only to find the court rules in favor of the copier because they changed around a line or two of code.

It is not hard one bit to take an AR15 receivers CNC code and change it enough to where it is completely different. One idea would be to copy the code and then change the out diameter of the receiver by 1/100th of an inch.

If you own the machine and you uploaded the code onto it then there is nothing anyone can say about it. The BATF wouldn't even waste their time with it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom