• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Sold my AR10. I am thinking about replacing it with a budget 308 bolt gun. Ruger American Gen 2 is top of the list. Savage Axis probably next. Not really looking to spend Tikka $, as this will not see much use. Are there any others I should be considering? Not 100% sure I am going to replace it yet, but probably will. TIA.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I haven’t handled the new Ruger American, but the original and the Savage are both good rifles. The stocks aren’t the greatest on either rifle they feel cheap but the barrels are great.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I haven’t handled the new Ruger American, but the original and the Savage are both good rifles. The stocks aren’t the greatest on either rifle they feel cheap but the barrels are great.
    thanks Brickman. It's my understanding the stock on the gen 2 ruger is improved, but I haven't laid hands on one yet.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Howa's are not bad. Brownells usually has barreled actions available so you can get a stock you like.

Q

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    what are you going to use it for? Hunting, target? I ask because I have a Savage 10PC on an Oryx chassis that is incredibly accurate (for my amatuer level) but it is not for toting through the woods.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I was first looking into doing a 223 rifle for varmints, I looked at a Ruger American Predator. They consistently review well and are apparently quite good for no more than they cost.

If I was looking for a budget gun, that's what I'd get.

shiza

Oct 16, 2020
    Carroll County
    Remington 700 is always a great option because if you're like me and like change things up often there are a ton of aftermarket stock options.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I had a base Remington 700 sps tactical (little heavy for hunting) but a solid 308. Ended up going down the rabbit hole and decking it out with lots of goodies, then sold it like a doofus a few years later. In the last couple years I’ve grown into a Bergara fanboy, but not sure what you’re looking to spend. Compared to higher end rifles it’s certainly a budget gun, but for the money I’m more than pleased. Have a b14 HMR in 308 I like so much I bought a wilderness ridge model in 308 as well. Picking it up next week. You’re welcome to try either should our paths cross :beer:

EDIT - Just noticed this in the classifieds.

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I recently picked up a used-but-unfired Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5cm and was banging steel at 800yds on it's first trip out. I'm going to get one in 308 now that its proven to be such a nice inexpensive rifle. Threaded barrel, 20MOA rail, standard AR308 mags, accutrigger, accustock, standard sling swivels, etc..

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I was able to put my hands on a Ruger Gen 2 American and Savage 110 today. for me it's the Ruger for the win. Prefer the standard over the ranch for the 308. But... 3 shops I checked with, none could get it in 308 from their distributors right now. I do see a couple on Gunbroker, may end up going that route... but I'm in no great hurry. Had a Remington 700 synthetic stock it was a fine rifle. but I think I'm ready to try something different... and I'm a Ruger fanboy...lol.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Howa...

uvjU3qw.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you find one at a reasonable price…the Remington 788 has a lot to offer. They have a well earned reputation for shooting above their price and class.

I have one in .223 I mounted in a laminated stock and it’s very consistent in shooting small, tight groups with generic, white box ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom