• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I HOPE I heard that correctly, and Roberts was expressing disapproval at (or at least clucking at) the concept of an enumerated right requiring a permit.

You did. Its one of the most encouraging things to come out of the orals.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I HOPE I heard that correctly, and Roberts was expressing disapproval at (or at least clucking at) the concept of an enumerated right requiring a permit.

Yeah, but once they bust out pics of him on the Lolita Express with underaged sex slaves he'll vote how they tell him to vote.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Yeah, but once they bust out pics of him on the Lolita Express with underaged sex slaves he'll vote how they tell him to vote.

If Roberts loses the other 5, and does not sign the opinion, Thomas writes the opinion due to seniority. It's hard for me to see a scenario where Roberts has a lot of leverage over the outcome.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think Thomas will insist on writing this opinion in any event. 100 years from now, it'll be studied.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I think Thomas will insist on writing this opinion in any event. 100 years from now, it'll be studied.

According to Kopel: If the Chief Justice is part of the majority (s)he gets to write the opinion or assign it (which he thinks would be assigned to Barrett). Otherwise, the most senior member assigns/writes it. Thomas only gets to write it if Roberts peels off. Thomas may write a concuring opinion and get a few joiners - maybe even 4.

In fact, Kopel thinks Roberts will join the majority to maintain some control over it. Its a fine line tho, he cant afford for ppl to peel off then Thomas's concurrence becomes the majority.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I think I’ll go ahead and take classes in early June and apply. Roll the dice.

Ok now I have a question. When you take the 16 hour training course, how long is that valid? If you take the course today and apply a year from now will they accept the course or need to do it over? I belive the HQL traing is good for 2 years and I was wondering if this would be similar.

Are there any specific places that the members of this Forum can recommend for the CCW training? I live in Montgomery County so somewhere around Rockville/Gaithersburg/Frederick would work best for me. Thanks all.

Cal68

JMB

Jan 30, 2019
    I qualify but am moving to a constitutional carry state in about six months so I will not bother with MD

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    What may happen is MD just allows the court to strike down good cause. If you recall there's a case in the 4th circuit waiting for NYSRPA to be decided.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Many of us mentioned that it would take another lawsuit to get Maryland to adhere to this NY case and it might take another year to get the same results in Maryland.

However there are allready two cases pending in court, held in Abeyance/Stayed until the opinion of the NY case has been issued. Both cases will overturn many aspects of the Maryland LTC need to show good cause.

Check out MSI v Hogan, and Call v Jones. Both are being held pending this NY case in the 4th circuit court of appeals.

So I would wait to apply, unless their is an emergency situation once MSI v Hogan and Call v Jones is settled. Those two cases once found in our favor is what will change Maryland law.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Many of us mentioned that it would take another lawsuit to get Maryland to adhere to this NY case and it might take another year to get the same results in Maryland.

However there are allready two cases pending in court, held in Abeyance/Stayed until the opinion of the NY case has been issued. Both cases will overturn many aspects of the Maryland LTC need to show good cause.

Check out MSI v Hogan, and Call v Jones. Both are being held pending this NY case in the 4th circuit court of appeals.

So I would wait to apply, unless their is an emergency situation once MSI v Hogan and Call v Jones is settled. Those two cases once found in our favor is what will change Maryland law.

No. If SCOTUS rules in “our” favor Maryland law will be IMMEDIATELY null and void as it will have been found Unconstitutional. If carry outside the home is found to be a Civil Right, then the People can immediately ignore Maryland “law”, as it is not a law at all.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

And the many of you that mentioned that would be completely wrong, both based on past experience and based on actual law.

People, much like back in 2013, need to apply almost immediately after the ruling becomes public if the G&S portion is ruled Unconstitutional instead of waiting.

The NYSPRA ruling will also change Maryland law, along with the two pending in the 4th Circuit.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    And the many of you that mentioned that would be completely wrong, both based on past experience and based on actual law.

People, much like back in 2013, need to apply almost immediately after the ruling becomes public if the G&S portion is ruled Unconstitutional instead of waiting.

The NYSPRA ruling will also change Maryland law, along with the two pending in the 4th Circuit.

If you’re referring to the Woolard case it was March of 2012 and it did not change the outcomes for those who applied in that window- or at least not for me at that time.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

The NYSPRA ruling will change all 8 states Permitting laws. But to get them to issue won’t be overnight. My point was that cases in Maryland are allready pending waiting on the NYSPRA ruling. So Maryland law and issuing of LTC’s will happen much sooner than some of the other states that don’t have pending suits allready filed.

California, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Jersey and Rhode Island are some of the other states with LTC cases being stayed waiting on the NYSPRA ruling.

Some think albeit wrong that all 8 may issue states will start issuing LTC’s the day after the ruling comes out. They won’t though.

But having cases allready pending and stayed until the ruling speeds the process up.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    No. If SCOTUS rules in “our” favor Maryland law will be IMMEDIATELY null and void as it will have been found Unconstitutional. If carry outside the home is found to be a Civil Right, then the People can immediately ignore Maryland “law”, as it is not a law at all.

That maybe so, but getting the state to issue you the LTC is another story

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom