• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I just tried High Mountain snack sticks and am very disappointed both in taste and texture.

I really don't like the toughness of collegan casings and the size that the HM kit comes with are pretty wide. I'm looking for a diameter closer to that of a Slim Jim along with the tender texture of a Slim Jim.

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations.

I used the 17mm "smokehouse chef" casing from Amazon. Little thicker than a slim Jim, but the best flavor, in my experience. Not cheap, though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Byron, How did you mix your snack sticks? I have always used a drill or now a mixer on the grinder. You need to mixed really good to get a good protein extraction with the fat for flavor and texture. I use half beef 73% to deer to get about 13.5% fat and mix it well. My buddy just did some and did a hand mix and no protein extraction, it seemed clumpy and hard like and you couldn't taste the spices. His boy took his mixer for the drill and without it, it just did not turn out.

I use 21mm collagen casings as 19mm and smaller don;t seem to want to fit on the tube I have for the 5# stuffer as they are packaged. I have to pull it loose and hand stuff it on the tube. At that point I just eat the 3/4" or 21mm

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a “jerky blaster”, similar to the one in the picture. You can do flat or round (about the size of a slim Jim). No casings needed. I’m pretty sure I got it from cabellas.

View attachment 329015

I bought one of these as I was not yet convinced I would like the end results.

I do have a LEM 5# sausage stuffer which has smaller tubes.

Attachments

• jerky2.jpg
      jerky2.jpg
      7.3 KB · Views: 103

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used the 17mm "smokehouse chef" casing from Amazon. Little thicker than a slim Jim, but the best flavor, in my experience. Not cheap, though.
    I will check them out. Thanks!

Byron, How did you mix your snack sticks? I have always used a drill or now a mixer on the grinder. You need to mixed really good to get a good protein extraction with the fat for flavor and texture. I use half beef 73% to deer to get about 13.5% fat and mix it well. My buddy just did some and did a hand mix and no protein extraction, it seemed clumpy and hard like and you couldn't taste the spices. His boy took his mixer for the drill and without it, it just did not turn out.

I use 21mm collagen casings as 19mm and smaller don;t seem to want to fit on the tube I have for the 5# stuffer as they are packaged. I have to pull it loose and hand stuff it on the tube. At that point I just eat the 3/4" or 21mm

My first(and only) attempt was pure ground venison. Following the instructions, I hand mixed the concoction for five minutes, then immediately stuffed the casings. Then I put them in the fridge overnight to absorb the seasoning and cure. Before baking at 200 deg, I let them stand for an hour to become room temperature.

I too have the 5# LEM stuffer I use for casing my pork sausage very year so I can go down in casing diameter. The hand loading of the casings is not a bother to me. I had to do that on my jerky shooter anyways, plus I use natural lamb casings on my pork which can be a bit trickier.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I bought one of these as I was not yet convinced I would like the end results.

I do have a LEM 5# sausage stuffer which has smaller tubes.

That will work, I started out with something similar, maybe smaller, 20+/- years ago. It was a nesco kit, maybe held about 1/2 pound, at the most. Once you figure out what mix you like, you will start doing larger batches. With a small gun you spend a lot of time loading meat into gun. I think mine holds around 2 pounds of ground meat, less loading, less hand washing, etc. I “squirt” mine directly onto dehydrater trays and cook.

This thread seems to be going south, talking about meat and squirting, but I want to describe it the best way I can. :lol2:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I will check them out. Thanks!

My first(and only) attempt was pure ground venison. Following the instructions, I hand mixed the concoction for five minutes, then immediately stuffed the casings. Then I put them in the fridge overnight to absorb the seasoning and cure. Before baking at 200 deg, I let them stand for an hour to become room temperature.

I too have the 5# LEM stuffer I use for casing my pork sausage very year so I can go down in casing diameter. The hand loading of the casings is not a bother to me. I had to do that on my jerky shooter anyways, plus I use natural lamb casings on my pork which can be a bit trickier.

Pure venison won't cut it, you need a little fat. Try 10% beef or pork fat. Also try letting the mixture marinate, then stuffing right before cooking.

I also like to smoke for an hour, then throw in the oven.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That will work, I started out with something similar, maybe smaller, 20+/- years ago. It was a nesco kit, maybe held about 1/2 pound, at the most. Once you figure out what mix you like, you will start doing larger batches. With a small gun you spend a lot of time loading meat into gun. I think mine holds around 2 pounds of ground meat, less loading, less hand washing, etc. I “squirt” mine directly onto dehydrater trays and cook.

This thread seems to be going south, talking about meat and squirting, but I want to describe it the best way I can. :lol2:
    I'm guilty of the squirting addition, I guess :D

Pure venison won't cut it, you need a little fat. Try 10% beef or pork fat. Also try letting the mixture marinate, then stuffing right before cooking.

I also like to smoke for an hour, then throw in the oven.

I've got the smoker, so I'm good there. Both you and Rob have convinced me on the addition of beef into the mix. What's good to use? Hamburger or should I grind up some 'chuck' or what?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm guilty of the squirting addition, I guess :D

I've got the smoker, so I'm good there. Both you and Rob have convinced me on the addition of beef into the mix. What's good to use? Hamburger or should I grind up some 'chuck' or what?

I would just see if you can get fat or trimmings from the closest butcher shop. Sometimes I also use cheap bacon.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    We should have a taste off. As a none hunter I don’t have a reference point so I can be unbiased ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would just see if you can get fat or trimmings from the closest butcher shop. Sometimes I also use cheap bacon.

Dang. I usually have pork fat stashed in one of my freezers along with bacon ends, but we didn't do our pig fest this year, thanks to Chyna...:cool:

No biggy. Will get some fat in the mix, one way or the other. :)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Sometimes I also use cheap bacon.

These is no such thing as "Cheap bacon" any more. $9 to $12 a pound at the store. I am not buy that to grind up.

If you find a butcher handing pigs, like I have in Martinsburg, you can get pork fat for $.50 a pound. Maybe more now with everything going up. You want 15% - 20% fat possibly. Maybe at least 10%. I cut with 73% ground beef 50/50 to make it less Deery, for the wife and they makes it 13.5% fat content

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    These is no such thing as "Cheap bacon" any more. $9 to $12 a pound at the store. I am not buy that to grind up.

If you find a butcher handing pigs, like I have in Martinsburg, you can get pork fat for $.50 a pound. Maybe more now with everything going up. You want 15% - 20% fat possibly. Maybe at least 10%. I cut with 73% ground beef 50/50 to make it less Deery, for the wife and they makes it 13.5% fat content

That's definitely been a problem.

BJ's house brand bacon used to be $9.99 for three pounds, and go on sale for $7.99. Now it's $14.99!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom