• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I have a form 1 can and the baffles are simply drilled through with a single hole.
    What are my options for adding clipping if any?
    What is the simple way if any using the only tools I have at home for this which is a drill press and a dremel tool?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    did I post the reddit images in the other thread? dremel and drill is all you need.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    What i really want to know is whether I should stop after the hole is drilled. Griffin has a new "ECO FLOW" design which is supposed to reduce backpressure and improve sound performance. It looks like stage 4 with just the hole.

Untitled-1-Recovered__94489.1595290083.jpg

I cant really find any science about holes vs clips.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    On the form 1 forums, they rave about hybrid dual clipped baffles.

Yeah idk. What people rave about on forums like dual hybrid clips and stepped cones, and what commercial makers do (who can presumably test and R&D designs) are very different. Its clear clips matter, beyond that I am not sure. I can only guess that there is a point of diminishing returns, or worse where removing material degrades performance. The point of a clip is to create turbulence and cut off the "jet" of gas behind the bullet. Maybe it doesnt matter how you do it. YHM Turbo K has a "sieve" for the first blast baffle (then simple clips). I look in my commercial cans and i see single, simple, clips. The new griffin design makes me think only a carefully placed hole to disrupt flow matters. I should test it, but i dont want to spend $ on a decibel meter at least until I've got thermals. But also: I think a company like Griffin has tested various designs, have have not found a lot of reason to change.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    How much does doing this help?

substantially, about 5-9 db. You wont notice 2-3 db, you will notice the difference with clipping.

Also: alignment matters. Aligned clips will maximize performance (lower sound).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Machining tabs to index correctly is one way.

What some ppl do is align the clipped baffles with a straw after the can is assembled (piece of dowel, or something similar). Carbon build up usually takes care of keeping them aligned. Of course, if you have a modular, you have to screw it together, mark it with a sharpie or file before you clip. When you screw it back together after clipping it will be aligned.

There is a Silencerco video where they randomly align clips, perfectly align them, and align them 180 degrees (left-right-left etc). Then they run decibel meter tests. There is little doubt: aligning clips matters. I posted it in another thread. You can find it on yt. You want your clips aligned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Machining tabs to index correctly is one way...

Clip!

...There is a Silencerco video where they randomly align clips, perfectly align them, and align them 180 degrees (left-right-left etc). Then they run decibel meter tests. There is little doubt: aligning clips matters. I posted it in another thread. You can find it on yt. You want your clips aligned.

I think the reason you want them lined up is, many commercial baffles have a diverter lip half way around the bore hole that pushed the energy and sound in towards the clip. If the clips aren't aligned, maybe the diversion is defeated?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I think the reason you want them lined up is, many commercial baffles have a diverter lip half way around the bore hole that pushed the energy and sound in towards the clip. If the clips aren't aligned, maybe the diversion is defeated?

idk. you could probably write a PhD on the aerodynamics.The more turbulence you create in the supressor, the slower the gasses, the better the supression. Cutting the jet behind the bullet with cross jets is apparently very important. Its also very difficult to simulate even with massive computing, so you can't just write some Python to see what works either. And unsurprisingly, most commercial research is proprietary.

this is the silencerco yt video

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

It’s the creation of turbulence in the baffle stack that makes it more quiet. I suppose you want more symmetric turbulence or risk poi shift. That will be an interesting experiment for when I get my 9mm AR can done. Can’t wait to show you my idea!

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    here is a video/ image of Trash Panda Q baffles design.

Holes and a half circle clip. That is certainly something that could be done with a dremel and drill. Does it work better? no idea.

To have the time and a SOT to test all these would be amazing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s the creation of turbulence in the baffle stack that makes it more quiet. I suppose you want more symmetric turbulence or risk poi shift. That will be an interesting experiment for when I get my 9mm AR can done. Can’t wait to show you my idea!

Can't wait to see it!

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

Does POI shift really matter, if it's consistent? I've gone from one suppressor for a bunch of guns to almost one suppressor for every gun lol, so it kind of stopped mattering.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    idk. you could probably write a PhD on the aerodynamics.The more turbulence you create in the supressor, the slower the gasses, the better the supression. Cutting the jet behind the bullet with cross jets is apparently very important. Its also very difficult to simulate even with massive computing, so you can't just write some Python to see what works either. And unsurprisingly, most commercial research is proprietary.

this is the silencerco yt video

Interesting video. I've seen it before but worth viewing again. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does POI shift really matter, if it's consistent? I've gone from one suppressor for a bunch of guns to almost one suppressor for every gun lol, so it kind of stopped mattering.

My Surefire 556 SOCOM has a consistent POI shift It's not bad and it is repeatable. Its main host is an SBR so not a big deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom