• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Cancelling the prom & possibly a graduation ceremony certainly sucks.

But it is the right thing to do.

I would hate to lose my daughter, because she caught the plague at graduation.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I wouldn't say you have thick skin. I would say you kinda maybe have semi thick skin.

It was cancelled...get over it. My senior did in 30 seconds...or less.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Carrie White approves of this post.

You know, I read an OP like this and I realize, people are still not taking this seriously. Who thinks a bunch of teenagers on a crowded dance floor is a good idea? This is not going away by May, people, we will still have some social distancing guidelines in 4 or 6 weeks. People might be allowed back to work, but I doubt crowded dance floors will be a thing for a while. Especially because people are not taking it seriously today.

This.

While I can certainly sympathize with a high school girl's prom aspirations, nothing is even remotely normal right now. Job one is to ensure as well as possible that she and all of her friends and family will hopefully be around to be able to dance
    at her wedding.

Ruby alludes to thoughts of a Stephen King novel.

We're as close as many will ever know to living in one.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If not having a dance is "devastating" high five for giving them a great life with no actual problems.

I used that word in a teenage context. The better choice and probably more accurate description would have been Very Disappointed. For our friends their daughter is college bound and over time, not having a prom will be something to talk about when looking back on 2020. However my wife teaches a lot of kids who will never be able to afford college and or have the skills or discipline to graduate if they could go. For those who didn’t get kicked put or drop out, graduation and Prom may be the two most ceremonial events in their lives. Maybe a bigger celebration than getting married to baby daddy number three years from now.

While COVID19 will come and go, the impact on our society may be felt and remembered for a long time. My hope is that maybe this generation of young people will stop taking life for granite and actually choose to participate in directing their future as opposed to letting it be handed to, and ungratefully accepted, by them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Does anyone really think we will be back to normal by the end of may or beginning of june...I sure dont.
    I'm thinking mid to late June in Maryland. China had Wuhan on lockdown (and a more strictly enforced one) for 2.5 months, iirc. Our current models predict an infection peak under the present conditions for sometime in May. Got to wait sometime for that peak to come down.

Providing pressure from a different direction, the federal government extended the tax deadline to July 15 which MD followed of course. People, if they use tax preparers, need time to see them.
    I wouldn't say you have thick skin. I would say you kinda maybe have semi thick skin.

It was cancelled...get over it. My senior did in 30 seconds...or less.
    My kid is the same. He and his girlfriend did prom last year, and while looking forward to it this senior year, was basically so what with it not happening. If commencement wasn't in limbo, he'd have a good chance to be one of the speakers, but I don't think he is upset that this (once in a lifetime) opportunity won't happen. Sees what's happening in the world and is now more focused on how to have a productive summer given current circumstances.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If kids now can't learn to deal withthe disappointment of prom being cancelled, just imagine how they'll handle AGC being closed as adults:innocent0

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I used that word in a teenage context. The better choice and probably more accurate description would have been Very Disappointed. For our friends their daughter is college bound and over time, not having a prom will be something to talk about when looking back on 2020. However my wife teaches a lot of kids who will never be able to afford college and or have the skills or discipline to graduate if they could go. For those who didn’t get kicked put or drop out, graduation and Prom may be the two most ceremonial events in their lives. Maybe a bigger celebration than getting married to baby daddy number three years from now.

While COVID19 will come and go, the impact on our society may be felt and remembered for a long time. My hope is that maybe this generation of young people will stop taking life for granite and actually choose to participate in directing their future as opposed to letting it be handed to, and ungratefully accepted, by them.

I get it. My post was mainly meant to be a quick light-hearted joke about how things seem important now because they lack context to compare it to. Growing up as sheltered as kids are now, they genuinely don't understand how bad the world is/has always been. It's like when kids say, "this is the worst day of my liiiiiiiiiife" because of some trivial thing. The response is usually, "wow, you've had a GREAT life". They don't get how things they view as needs are actually just unimportant(in the scheme of things) wants. This is a function of parents that have tackled problems for their kids and provided a safe and loving world for them to thrive in.

In more extreme examples, parents completely let their kids call the shots while doing all the work for them. Kids end up both entitled and helpless. In more beneficial circumstances, parents give their kids a safe and loving home, but require kids to solve their own problems and purposely expose them to some of the negative/painful sides of life to prepare them for them. That's where we're trying to go in the smokey household with my sons, but I still see them wildly unaware of how good they have it...we'll remedy that more and more as they age.

I also get the kids that live for the now because they don't see a future. Every year at 5th grade graduation, the lowest income kids have the most bananas cheering section with lots of money tossed into hair/nails/dresses/suits. I'm fine seeing this get crushed, as I think it's pathogenic. These kids need the same expectations that graduation is a beginning and not an ending.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Well that is a high and mighty pompous post if I ever saw one

I think it's a pretty realistic one, and that most people would feel the same way about their children and other members of their family.

This isn't going to be over by May, and maybe not even by June.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Which brings me to my point; I'm the father of a Class of 2020 BCPS student, who on the evening of Friday, April 3rd had their dreams crushed by the cowardly and callus robocall and text message from BCPS Superintendent Darryl L. Williams. (Letter attached).

In this letter, with a flick of a pen, Dr. Williams denies my daughter, Victoria, and hundreds of her peers their Senior Prom, with false empathy he coldly does this giving no consideration for postponing this landmark event in our children’s lives. How many fathers had to break this news to their daughter or son tonight, how many had their daughter, like mine, sobbing in their arms pleading to them, ‘Daddy, please don’t let them do this, I worked so hard’.

Could be worse. You could be someone like Martin's Catering where EVERY prom and wedding has been canceled for the next two months at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of jobs.

Learning disappointment at 18 is not a bad thing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Well, prom and graduation I can deal with... Right now, despite saving TONS of money in a "targeted" 2020 date 529 plans, we are seeing significant drops. My daughter so wants to go to Purdue and become an engineer. She worked her ass off, putting off social stuff, boys, and general shenanigans to have the BEST grades and right activities.

We HAD just enough to send her OOS, and now we don't. Which means loans loans loans and further assistance from us when we already pumped a bunch of our hard earned money in.... And Purdue is relatively cheap. Wisconsin wanted $212,000 as did Texas A&M.

She got decent money from Delaware and Ohio State but its NOT where she wants to go.... We are worried about her. No prom, no graduation (likely), and now going to college somewhere she REALLY wanted to, may not happen. Lets suppose we suck it up and send her anyway.... What if they close the school and do distance learning instead? The whole premise of Purdue is how to approach education as a collaborative process rather than isolating and judging everyone individually (yea they still get graded on their own but they also get graded for their collaboration effort). So not even really getting that freshman year away from home, doing what they want, when they want to, all part of the growing up and away from the parents.

The level of suckiness is undeniable. And it goes beyond just HS stuff. It's life changing.

Reading this thread backwards. For the schools that she likes, are there gap year options? I bet a lot of kids will do this instead of paying full tuition for remote learning in fall. Many have deadlines in May to request (one that my kid is interested is May 8 and another is July 1). Most tend to be by mid May so schools can give acceptances to waitlist kids for the upcoming academic term. Gives another year to set aside money as well, and if your kid has a job, for the kid to earn.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Sorry, but walking at graduation and going to senior prom are hardly worth getting in a tizzy over. I worked the night of my senior prom and my girlfriend (now wife) went with her friends. Walking at graduation was more of a pain in the neck, because we graduated at DAR Constitution Hall and it was an obnoxious ordeal.

Personally, I'd prefer advance notice so I don't have to buy a dress for my daughter for an event that is unlikely to happen anyways.

I'm sure the teenage child sees this as a horrible tragedy, but as a grown man I'm a little embarrassed for some of you, having read it...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hell. My daughter didn't even walk for her college graduation. She got her degree and that's what she went to college for.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Looking back in life I don't know anyone who feels like walking to get their diploma changed their life. In the moment I'm sure that many would be upset but after the fact....meh. thinking deeply about it...it's not really that special if any idiot who shows up can get one too.

As a dad though, I feel for your daughter and understand how you feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom