• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, after just shooting some different pistols to try them out, we got down to a little business.
    It's tough concentrating in the furnace like heat when the sun is high. I just worked on a couple things.

I always like to show how point shooting works and why it matters in a self defense situation. Human body center mass is about equivalent among all of us, and generally in the same place when we stand in front of another human. So... from the high ready, we pressed out and broke the shot at the end of the press. I guess we were out about 10 yards. A pretty safe minimum from shooting steel. Must have been about 50 rounds and landing probably 90 percent. *With the lost 10 percent, we learned what a miss should look like.. Shoot(miss), stay on the threat(shoot) hit.*

This is both good and BAD for us. Why you ask? Because the bad guy gets that same advantage. So that took us to the next lesson..
    Getting off the X.
    So many different scenarios with this, I just kept it down to 2.

1. Starting out from the high ready (This is in lieu of drawing from a holster)
    Move to one side or the other, pressing out during the move, and breaking the shot when off the X.
    2. Shoot, move, shoot. That was fun for about 30 or 40 times.

Hmmmm, what else.
    Shooting from the hip or bent elbow to get a taste of what that muzzle blast feels like at about 2 yards from a target. Knowing what to do with the off hand so we don't shoot it off.

Some other minutiae.... torquing our grip inwards on the pistol to help tame recoil.

Stance. Not so much legs "shoulder width apart". But sometimes we might need to actually turn our body to one side or the other a little to aid our natural point of aim. Instead of forcing our arms to go into directions they may not want to go to.

Difference between a double tap and a controlled pair.

Oh and the most important........ Drum roll please........

On a DA/SA pistol, we DO NOT cock the hammer back for a SA first shot, Right ZZZZZZZZZ? We shoot the first round DA. :D

Then of course we just mindlessly shot targets to waste a little ammo.

It was just hot and sunny, so we kept the shooting to late in the day.

No tents were "pupped" in the making of this training.

It was fun. Can't wait for others to make it up!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    On a DA/SA pistol, we DO NOT cock the hammer back for a SA first shot, Right ZZZZZZZZZ? We shoot the first round DA. :D

Busted x2! LOL I probably did more DA shooting in two days than I've done in the last 20 years. I've just never been good at it but, now I feel a lot more confident about connecting with the first shot DA than I did previously. The M11-A1/P229 with the SRT is built for that kind of thing.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've traveled thru the area many times but, had never spent any time there. I liked it. It's a nice escape from urban/suburban-MD in the best possible ways: incredible mountain views, variety of wildlife, peace/quiet, and a total lack of SJW's and peaceful protesters to fvck things up. It wouldn't be difficult for me to call it home.

Most of the natives seem like they're conservative, self-reliant 2A types from all over the map. I had never driven past an Orthodox (Christian) Church that far off the beaten path but, I did on my way out there. Also, a lot of Summer Camps for kids. I'll bet it gets kind of busy during the Summer months but, the pay-off (for me) would be wearing a hockey mask (ala Jason Voorhees) out in the yard while hacking at weeds with a machete as the school buses drove-by. Otherwise, the only downside might be dealing with heavy snow some years? It reminded me a lot of Mercer County, WV between Princeton and Bluefield. Same type of terrain but, no banjos.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey now, you shot the guy's balls off. Good job. lol I would have probably shot his toes off.

That looks like it was a great time and a great learning experience. Just too awesome.

Learned that PA taxes are just so much damn better than Maryland for retirees, so if the majority of kids stay in the Maryland area, PA might be where me and my wife end up.

Those views of Mike's place are just incredible.
    Nope. Neck shots. I love the sound of gurgling in the morning...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    4qZiumL.gif

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    That Blaster picture make you look like a gun fighter for sure.

You are totally correct though sir, we cannot fail to have a sense of humor and must be able to poke fun at oursleves.

We are way too uptight and take offense way too easily.

Myself included

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That Blaster picture make you look like a ripe spare tire. She’s feeding you way too good. I’m sure Blasters Food and Fun Palace didn’t help.

You are totally correct though sir, we cannot fail to have a sense of humor and must be able to poke fun at oursleves.

We are way too uptight and take offense way too easily.

Myself included...in the spare tire and wound a lil too tight

Huzzah

PS. Might I suggest a nice, narrow vertical stripe.
    Wow. Then you'd surely be disgusted at me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom