Police stop and you are legally transporting a non-serial number firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    What would be the passengers responsibility to inform, if the leo is basically conducting business with the driver? Should the passenger interrupt things and say by the way I'm carrying?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What would be the passengers responsibility to inform, if the leo is basically conducting business with the driver? Should the passenger interrupt things and say by the way I'm carrying?

Which would be dumb, just like handing over an ID when not driving.

Make sure you blame them, if you are detained for a longer amount of time.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Isn't this stuff taught in CCW class?

Didn't come up in our class, now that you mention it. There was good time spent on driving/carrying.

I can't think of too many circumstances in which I'd be riding with family or friends who wouldn't know I might be carrying, but ... a client? A colleague? Less likely. And you wouldn't want that person to be made a liar if a cop asks them if there's a weapon in the car.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I ve been through several classes and no it never came up, as none were involving a duty to notify state. I wasn't necessarily saying if the driver didn't know but rather what is a passenger in the vehicle's duty to notify. Specifically if the officer isn't conducting business with them only the driver.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I would assume that the average LEO holding a radar gun isn't intimately familiar with every law on the books, and probably isn't aware that building your own firearms is perfectly legal, and that a serial number isn't required on them. You might see some extra scrutiny it if ever came up during a stop. :shrug:

More broadly speaking, one might consider transporting their firearms and gear in such a manner that they aren't easily seen during a traffic stop. You're under no obligation to answer questions, either. Don't lie, of course, but don't volunteer information. Be polite and protect yourself from what might end up being a hassle over perfectly legal activities.
    This.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    This is all so very true. Cops are human too. So, be civil and respectful. But that doesn't mean that you consent to a search because cops have a job to do too. Just be civil about it. And BTW, under recommended SOP, officers are *supposed* to decide on whether they give a ticket or a warning on the traffic offense as they approach the vehicle prior to any interaction with the driver. But, again, they're only human.

ED 209 weeps.

But excellent advice.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Best statement/answer/explanation on here I've read so far (the first three pages).

I've been a cop for 27 years working in two states. Without going into war story mode, I've dealt with armed criminals, good citizens and off duty cops on traffic stops. A lot. I won't go into detail on stopping armed criminals, as it's irrelevant. However, with the exception of two (2) traffic stops (one with a citizen and the other an off duty cop) all of them went smooth.

The overwhelming majority of citizens and off duty cops have told me they were armed right from the start

How do you know?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I was stopped on 95S, after Maryland lied about seat belts being a secondary offense, and was asked by a state trooper if I had guns in my vehicle.

I said yes. And that was the end of it. Did I have to answer? I don't know.

What I do know is The U.S. Constitution means jack crap when pulled over. The police hold all the cards. So it's yes, sir and no, sir and being on my merry way.

I generally try not to post too much in the more public sections...

But this is completely false information.

The US Constitution means EVERYTHING when stopped by the LEO. That is why respectful encounters rarely end in dispare for either side.

I personally made thousands of stops in 24 years... I never violated anyone's Constitutional Rights. And I never allowed a subordinate to do so either. COTUS rights mattered in every one of those stops.

If you believe your rights have been violated... there are lawful means to file a protest. But do NOT attempt to "fight your battle" during the stop.

Be civil, respectful, and courteous. Do what is lawfully required. And don't let your anger or frustration get the better of you in a tense situation.

It does matter... and it does make a difference in the outcome.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

No.

The passengers should remain out of the situation as much as possible and only comment if asked by the LEO.

Doing otherwise would be the same as walking up to every LEO one sees and announcing "I am armed." You (the passenger) were not driving... the driver was stopped. Unless the LEO addresses you personally... remain out of the situation.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    But this is completely false information.

The US Constitution means EVERYTHING when stopped by the LEO. That is why respectful encounters rarely end in dispare for either side.

What he is saying is that when a "normal" civilian (i.e. not an ex-cop like yourself) is stopped by a police officer, that officer literally holds all of the cards. They are the one with the gun (for those of us not lucky enough to have a permit). They are the one with the radio and backup if they need it. They are the one who gets to decide the outcome, ultimately. We are the ones who have to sit in the car and bear with whatever the cop decides to do. If he decides to toss my car without PC, I can shout "I don't consent to any search!" as much as I want, but he's got the gun, and he's going to do the search.

Now, I'm not saying that the person being stopped bears no responsibility for how things go - it behooves all of us to be as polite and considerate of the officer as is possible during a stop. Everyone will be better off if we do.

But frankly, if the cop is an *******, or if he decides he doesn't like me, or decides that I'm guilty of something, or that I'm going to catch a bullet, there is not a damn thing I can do about it, in that moment. Constitution be damned, if that cop decides that I'm acting funny and pulls his weapon on me, the existence or nonexistence of the constitution doesn't mean a damn thing.

That's what the other guy was talking about.

I personally made thousands of stops in 24 years... I never violated anyone's Constitutional Rights. And I never allowed a subordinate to do so either. COTUS rights mattered in every one of those stops.

That's because you were a good cop. Not all cops are like you.

If you believe your rights have been violated... there are lawful means to file a protest. But do NOT attempt to "fight your battle" during the stop.

That's exactly what he was talking about. During the stop, the existence of the constitution means absolutely nothing if the cop decides to be grumpy and things take a turn for the worse. AFTER the stop, the Constitution gives you remedy.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    What he is saying is that when a "normal" civilian (i.e. not an ex-cop like yourself) is stopped by a police officer, that officer literally holds all of the cards. They are the one with the gun (for those of us not lucky enough to have a permit). They are the one with the radio and backup if they need it. They are the one who gets to decide the outcome, ultimately. We are the ones who have to sit in the car and bear with whatever the cop decides to do. If he decides to toss my car without PC, I can shout "I don't consent to any search!" as much as I want, but he's got the gun, and he's going to do the search.

Now, I'm not saying that the person being stopped bears no responsibility for how things go - it behooves all of us to be as polite and considerate of the officer as is possible during a stop. Everyone will be better off if we do.

But frankly, if the cop is an *******, or if he decides he doesn't like me, or decides that I'm guilty of something, or that I'm going to catch a bullet, there is not a damn thing I can do about it, in that moment. Constitution be damned, if that cop decides that I'm acting funny and pulls his weapon on me, the existence or nonexistence of the constitution doesn't mean a damn thing.

That's what the other guy was talking about.

That's because you were a good cop. Not all cops are like you.

That's exactly what he was talking about. During the stop, the existence of the constitution means absolutely nothing if the cop decides to be grumpy and things take a turn for the worse. AFTER the stop, the Constitution gives you remedy.

While it may be nice that you saw fit to interpret what "he said"...
    It's not what he "wrote".

And THAT is what I responded to.

We cannot afford the luxury of believing that all who read these threads will be able to interpret vague statements.

Humans on both sides of the equation are subject to having a bad day... I've diffused far more fights and negative encounters... than I've been forced to engage force to end what did not have to escalate in the first place.

COTUS rights do matter... in ALL encounters between citizens and LEOs.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    While it may be nice that you saw fit to interpret what "he said"...
    It's not what he "wrote".

It is what he wrote. You're interpreting it, just like I am. You're just interpreting differently than I am.

COTUS rights do matter... in ALL encounters between citizens and LEOs.

I would argue that my COTUS rights matter not one whit if the cop decides to put his weapon in my face for whatever reason. In that moment, it helps me not a bit to know that I've got 1st, and 4th, and 5th amendment rights on my side if he decides to twitch his index finger. This is hypothetical, because I've never put myself in a situation where a cop would have felt the need to do that, and again, I'm extremely polite to officers when I interact with them, but that's because I recognize that they hold *all* of the power in that particular moment. Most of the cops that I have ever interacted with have been great guys who are doing a sometimes very shitty job, but there have been a few who have been *total* dickheads, and once in particular I was worried for my own safety at the beginning of the stop, though to his credit that particular cop eventually calmed down, realized that it was a ******** stop that he didn't have any PC for and let me go without so much as a warning.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It is what he wrote. You're interpreting it, just like I am. You're just interpreting differently than I am.

I would argue that my COTUS rights matter not one whit if the cop decides to put his weapon in my face for whatever reason. In that moment, it helps me not a bit to know that I've got 1st, and 4th, and 5th amendment rights on my side if he decides to twitch his index finger. This is hypothetical, because I've never put myself in a situation where a cop would have felt the need to do that, and again, I'm extremely polite to officers when I interact with them, but that's because I recognize that they hold *all* of the power in that particular moment. Most of the cops that I have ever interacted with have been great guys who are doing a sometimes very shitty job, but there have been a few who have been *total* dickheads, and once in particular I was worried for my own safety at the beginning of the stop, though to his credit that particular cop eventually calmed down, realized that it was a ******** stop that he didn't have any PC for and let me go without so much as a warning.

This is my feeling and my experience to a tee. Most encounters with law enforcement have been professional and just fine. There have been a couple that leave me worrying about how the next one will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom