• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    ...if one life is saved!

I started thinking about that argument for gun control. It sounds noble. People can relate to it and feel good about themselves. But, it’s a false argument!

If those who say that really believe it to be true, then they believe any reason to save a life is worth trampling the Constitution. And if that is true, then why the hell do we send American citizens to foreign lands to die to uphold the oath they took defend the Constitution? Why does every federal employee take the same oath if saving one life is worth breaking that oath?

The next time you hear that argument, be sure to ask those questions!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It's also a statement that can't be proven one way or another. In other words it's perfect liberal rhetoric.

They know they can't prevent a crazy person from going on a mass killing spree. So they think they can save some people by limiting the size of the magazine. They are claiming to "save" people, yet have no regard for those that are killed. If you try to use this reasoning with them they will just go on about the "lives they have saved."

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    They don't trust you (figuring you are a 2A supporter and gun owner) because they are scared and deep down inside they know they can't be trusted themselves. Fear and anxiety are terrible things. They must apparently live with both every day. That leads to an innate and often overwhelming desire to control others. That my friend is why they hate the 2nd Amendment and why the rest of the Constitution and Bill of Rights extend only so far as it may suit their liberal, fearful and anxious purpose(s).

Other than that I'm sure they're downright nice and well adjusted folks...

You can make bank on that.

somd_brad

Feb 12, 2013
    Valley lee, MD SOMD
    If one life is saved, they should want cars, planes, drinking, cigarettes, prescription drugs, pools, ladders, knives, etc. etc. etc. isn't getting rid of all of this worth saving 1 life....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Fighting against men who try to take Rights given by God is always worth it.

I have a Right to defend myself
    I have a Right to defend my family
    I have a Right to ensure my Country remains free

Come take them

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Fighting against men who try to take Rights given by God is always worth it.

I have a Right to defend myself
    I have a Right to defend my family
    I have a Right to ensure my Country remains free

Come take them.

It is clearly coming to that. Starting in MD,Cal,NY,NJ. They are getting it down in the safe states before going National.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    "One life saved." Sounds great until such time as one is confronted by some scumbag predator, and one doesn't have the means to save their own "one life", or the "one life" of one of their own.

What a hard lesson it must be when the moment of realization sets in that they might not live long enough to have the opportunity to change their mind.

stonet21

Mar 4, 2009
    They don't trust you (figuring you are a 2A supporter and gun owner) because they are scared and deep down inside they know they can't be trusted themselves.

You hit the nail on the head. I know a very liberal professor that told me I am a threat to him because I own firearms. He also stated he doesn't own any because he doesn't trust himself.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    "The only time a liberal wont use children as a prop is at an abortion rally"

But when you throw that at them. They try and throw these "scientific facts" out there that it's not a life until, well, whenever THEY think its a life. Read: ill cherry pick my facts and science where it's suits my liking.

I actually had a guy at work (I'm not making this up) say that its not a sentient being until it has a social security number.

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    My standard response to the "if it saves one life" argument is to quote Ben Franklin:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    There was a time that it made no sense to me that school busses didn't have seat belts.
    I'm serious. If one life could be saved, doesn't it seem to be reasonable common sense that school busses should have seat belts?

I was uneducated about why school busses don't have safety belts. I'm sure I could have made an emotional argument, and have people agree that it would be common sense to require school busses to have seat belts. In fact, I could probably get a few politicians to agree..

I have a good friend that ran a county school transportation program. He educated me on the engineering and logistical reasons why the busses don't have seat belts. Once I understood the facts and reasoning that the industry experts and end users had, my opinion changed.

Whether it's seat belts on school busses or people owning firearms, if someone lacks knowledge of the subject, the emotional argument is strong and will win.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It is clearly coming to that. Starting in MD,Cal,NY,NJ. They are getting it down in the safe states before going National.

Nobody is going national.

Costitutional Convention.

Plus liberals dont join the military. The game ends when conservatives just stop. That's right stop. They know it. They just hope we never realise the power of not doing a GD thing...

Want yo give a liberal a heart attack. Point out where his food comes from, and who drives the trucks that bring it to him.

Constitutional Convention. And 10 k in lawyers mall as a down payment.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    In my mind it's about arrogant idealism versus logical realism. IMO, to believe that we humans can control whether or not evil things happen is arrogant and idealistic. We all have free will, so $#!& happens. I prefer to be a logical realist. Given that $#!& WILL happen, I choose to be prepared or to act in some logical and realistic fashion. The libtards arrogantly and idealistically cherry pick the issues where they can make an emotional case, using no value foundation, no logic and no reason. I prefer to do the opposite.

toncapone1

Feb 12, 2013
    Maryland
    In my mind it's about arrogant idealism versus logical realism. IMO, to believe that we humans can control whether or not evil things happen is arrogant and idealistic. We all have free will, so $#!& happens. I prefer to be a logical realist. Given that $#!& WILL happen, I choose to be prepared or to act in some logical and realistic fashion. The libtards arrogantly and idealistically cherry pick the issues where they can make an emotional case, using no value foundation, no logic and no reason. I prefer to do the opposite.

well said

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    If one life is saved, they should want cars, planes, drinking, cigarettes, prescription drugs, pools, ladders, knives, etc. etc. etc. isn't getting rid of all of this worth saving 1 life....

My thoughts exactly! That's why the argument is sensationalized ********!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    There was a time that it made no sense to me that school busses didn't have seat belts.
    I'm serious. If one life could be saved, doesn't it seem to be reasonable common sense that school busses should have seat belts?

I was uneducated about why school busses don't have safety belts. I'm sure I could have made an emotional argument, and have people agree that it would be common sense to require school busses to have seat belts. In fact, I could probably get a few politicians to agree..

I have a good friend that ran a county school transportation program. He educated me on the engineering and logistical reasons why the busses don't have seat belts. Once I understood the facts and reasoning that the industry experts and end users had, my opinion changed.

Whether it's seat belts on school busses or people owning firearms, if someone lacks knowledge of the subject, the emotional argument is strong and will win.

Don't be a tease! Why don't school buses have seat belts? (Could it be the cost?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    One life saved falicy

I can't and won't unpack this one completely but this argument assumes that resources are limitless. There are a few cheap ways to reduce mortality and morbidity.

Their suggestions are like mandating that all cars have a Breathalyzer interlock. Or an extra set of sensors in washing machines to safety interlock the agitator two ways.

I think that most of the crazier (read as more serious) gun control proponents are acting out their inner psychological struggles and projecting it onto us. They don't need gun control, they need professional psychological assistance.

Its like using excessively bright security lighting: http://physics.fau.edu/observatory/lightpol-security.html You feel safer but are not safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom