• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Also a Kershaw fan here, along with Spyderco, Benchmade, etc.

My new favorite Kershaw is the RAM. It's a flipper knife without any springs but is just as quick as an assisted because once you overcome the detent, the potential energy is released and flips the blade open without the help of a spring or torsion bar. You basically get an assisted flipper without the hassle of a spring. The only thing I wish they did was make a larger version of it since the RAM is basically the same size as the Leek.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I carry a benchmade Vex tanto blade, nothing fancy, just a good 3.5" liner lock knife with ambi thumb studs and a clip that keeps it blade down. It has held up for years, is quick to deploy, and the grip stays secure in my hand. I won't spend more than $50 on a knife, but carry one most of the time for small cutting tasks. I don't really spend time training to use it for defense, but know just enough that I could if I needed to, in the case I am not carrying a firearm, or my firearm is not accesable.

My favorite knife was a $30 OTF DA knife (called the lightning IIRC) I used when I turned wrenches. The whole switchblade "ban" IMO is stupid, and serves no purpose, while running afoul of the 2nd ammendment (knives are "arms" too), guess some A-hole congressmen broke into a cold sweat after watching west side story a few too many times. One of the advantages was that the blade locked closed in addition to locking open, and it took a good deal of pressure on the sliding switch to deploy it, so it was one of the safest knives I had, almost impossible to open in my pocket. It could open or close easily with one hand, and while it was cheap, it was still sturdy enough for cutting wires, boxes, hoses and most anything else I had to cut. Lost it several years ago, and have missed it ever since. The law on switchblades is really confusing, some resources say they are perfectly legal to buy or posess, others claim the mere act of buying one can earn you 5 years in prison, they are pretty easy to get, lots of people have them, and it doesn't seem enforcement is a priority, and that is assuming they are not legal in the first place. For the most part it is fairly certain they cannot be legally carried in most states, PA being one of them, and as a result wouldn't serve much purpose for me.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    no Kersaw fans here?

I'm a fan of the Blackout, for the money. It rides low in the pocket, fits tight, and has a good blade-to-overall length ratio I feel.

Regarding heavy use, I put one through it's paces in heavy field work, cutting rope, wire, straps, plastics, other weird materials, stripping wire, tons of other jobs.. for 8+ months. Did an outstanding job with minimal maintenance.

Mind you Kershaw is now owned by KAI. That said, I think their quality has actually gone up despite mostly being made overseas. Conversely, some Spyderco (China) knives are now made in Colorado. Go figure.

Regarding OTFs, the Benchmade Infidel is one of my favorites, but pricey, mostly because they use a proprietary mechanism.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    SPEEDFORM.jpg

May 13, 2005
    :lol: That's a nice looking knife, I would wear it to a dinner party to match my suit.

Just kidding. :D

But seriously, any knife with a flat, smooth metal surface for a grip is just asking for trouble. Think environmental issues and what happens when you get solvent, silicon, water, jet fuel, sewage, blood or other slippery viscous liquids on it and try and maintain a useful grip.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    But seriously, any knife with a flat, smooth metal surface for a grip is just asking for trouble. Think environmental issues and what happens when you get solvent, silicon, water, jet fuel, sewage, blood or other slippery viscous liquids on it and try and maintain a useful grip.

spy_fgkeating.JPG

Different knives for different occasions...the topic wasn't woodsmen wear, and my reply was to any Kershaw fans. A bone inlay handled Uncle Henry Bowie wouldn't be very practical out there either. :innocent0

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I love SOG! I am a contractor and have been carrying the Trident TF-2 straight blade for a couple of years now. I use it hard everyday. Both the knife and my SOG multi tool look as good as the day i bought them. This video shows the knife well but he closes the blade two handed. One handed closing is very easy with a little practice using the arc lock. Which is the reason i bought a assisted opening knife to begin with. Almost every time i need the knife one of my hands is full with whatever it is i need to cut. One handed operation is a necessity for me.
    images

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I love SOG! I am a contractor and have been carrying the Trident TF-2 straight blade for a couple of years now. I use it hard everyday. Both the knife and my SOG multi tool look as good as the day i bought them. This video shows the knife well but he closes the blade two handed. One handed closing is very easy with a little practice using the arc lock. Which is the reason i bought a assisted opening knife to begin with. Almost every time i need the knife one of my hands is full with whatever it is i need to cut. One handed operation is a necessity for me.
    images

what does it sell for?

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    :lol: That's a nice looking knife, I would wear it to a dinner party to match my suit.

Just kidding. :D

+1. I'm partial to FRN or G-10.

kafratta

Poor College Student
    Dec 7, 2010
    Perry Hall
    So i have a folding knife I carry on the ambulance and pretty much at all times...it is folding with a little finger catch that u can push ith ur index finger, It's an assisted opening, u open it to about 1/3 open and then a spring deploys the rest of it. You can also just open it like a regular folder. I've never caught shit about it bc i dont pull it out unless i need it to open something etc but i dont think i will since it is orange with the star of life.

**I've never had it fail to open on the first attempt, and it is a fairly good knife. The best part of it is that it is only about 10-15 dollars and u can get them at any gunshow yard sale, with any seal on it (fire dept, star of life, all branches of the armed services, popo, whatever).

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    I tend to flip back and forth between Benchmade and Kershaw whenever I end up buying a new knife. By far my favorite was a Benchmade I lost in the field a couple of years ago, can't remember the model or I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I Always have my Rajah II on me, as well as my leatherman & one of my Balisongs ...if its a work day I add another fixed blade as well .... LOVE ME SOME KNIVES!!lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom