• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Nice place... I think I saw this place on the interwebs several weeks ago... Does it have a pond and the previous owner recently dumped some cash into the well. Needed something like a well pump or something.. was that this place? If so, Im jealous...

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Nice place... I think I saw this place on the interwebs several weeks ago... Does it have a pond and the previous owner recently dumped some cash into the well. Needed something like a well pump or something.. was that this place? If so, Im jealous...

Thanks. You are spot on except for the pond. No pond on the property but I do have access to the south branch of the Potomac. Previous owner just spent 33K on the well as they had to dig 1600 feet to hit water. It does need a pump.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Thanks. You are spot on except for the pond. No pond on the property but I do have access to the south branch of the Potomac. Previous owner just spent 33K on the well as they had to dig 1600 feet to hit water. It does need a pump.

Awesome.. think that was the property I was interested in as well... Tried to talk myself into but decided the timing wasn’t right... Enjoy - the views of gods country were fantastic

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

1600ft deep well?? Holy shit! We taped the wire and dropped the pump on my buddy’s 500ft well years ago and it seemed like for ever. Over a 1/4 mile deep! Good luck if you ever have to pull it???

BTW beautiful place! God I miss WVA!

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Awesome.. think that was the property I was interested in as well... Tried to talk myself into but decided the timing wasn’t right... Enjoy - the views of gods country were fantastic

Glad you didn’t pull the trigger on it :D. I’ve been waiting for this spot for a long time.

1600ft deep well?? Holy shit! We taped the wire and dropped the pump on my buddy’s 500ft well years ago and it seemed like for ever. Over a 1/4 mile deep! Good luck if you ever have to pull it???

BTW beautiful place! God I miss WVA!

Thank you. Eventually when I build a place, I will need a pretty hefty pump for that well :rolleyes:

I can almost hear the turkeys gobbling from here. That is an awesome view.

Thank you. I’ve already seen tons of deer and I’m told there are plenty of turkeys roaming about. I’m looking forward to hunting my own land for the first time in my life.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Congrats on the awesome new place!

A 1600’ deep well is insane. How many HP is the pump?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I've got some fun toys just made for W. Virginia. ;)

:party29:

Congrats on the awesome new place!

A 1600’ deep well is insane. How many HP is the pump?

Thank you Sir. Not sure yet as I haven’t bought the pump. I’m not building anything on the property for a few years. Lumber prices are insane right now. One of the owners down the road has a well at a similar depth so I plan on asking him once we meet.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I remember that listing ;-)

Wells and road access are the limiting factors for development in this area. It's not like the system of coastal aquifers where you drill x ft and get water. At times people will drill 1600ft and come up dry because they just happen to drill between the cracks that bear the water. Much of Mineral Co water is surface water that comes from Pennsylvania (sold by a Maryland company, go figure).

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I remember that listing ;-)

Wells and road access are the limiting factors for development in this area. It's not like the system of coastal aquifers where you drill x ft and get water. At times people will drill 1600ft and come up dry because they just happen to drill between the cracks that bear the water. Much of Mineral Co water is surface water that comes from Pennsylvania (sold by a Maryland company, go figure).

That, I didn’t know. Thanks for the info.

Very nice place - Congratulations!

Thank you!

So no one has any info in the cell extenders? I’m leaning towards them because it allows me to make calls to my wife and/or family while I’m up there in between hunts. I watched a few videos and the Weboost model with the directional antenna seems to be the most popular amongst rural property owners.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As for the 'no cell signal'. You dont have a connection with your current carrier while under the leaf canopy. Try to find a ham operator with a portable tower, stick a cell phone or a hotspot on there, crank up the tower and see whether you can get a signal. If you can get a signal, put up a tower with a signal booster.

Any of the 'boost' things is only going to work if you have a signal in the first place. It looks like you are high enough on the hill that you should get something, but it may require a small tower. You can get a 'Rohn' tower delivered to some location in town and then haul it up to the camp one section at a time. Pour the foundation, install the bracket, and then just have a tower technician come out to put it together.

My work is 100% dependent on working broadband. So for now, my place in WV is in town :-(

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Gorgeous setup, congrats! I get my cell service through my cable fios tv/internet provider. Useless if I'm more than 100 feet or so from router. Should I wander in the woods I take my walkie talkie with me.... about 2 mile range

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    As for the 'no cell signal'. You dont have a connection with your current carrier while under the leaf canopy. Try to find a ham operator with a portable tower, stick a cell phone or a hotspot on there, crank up the tower and see whether you can get a signal. If you can get a signal, put up a tower with a signal booster.

Any of the 'boost' things is only going to work if you have a signal in the first place. It looks like you are high enough on the hill that you should get something, but it may require a small tower. You can get a 'Rohn' tower delivered to some location in town and then haul it up to the camp one section at a time. Pour the foundation, install the bracket, and then just have a tower technician come out to put it together.

My work is 100% dependent on working broadband. So for now, my place in WV is in town :-(

Gorgeous setup, congrats! I get my cell service through my cable fios tv/internet provider. Useless if I'm more than 100 feet or so from router. Should I wander in the woods I take my walkie talkie with me.... about 2 mile range

Makes sense. Thank you both. I’m going to explore different options and see what works. :thumbsup:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The original post says that all the towers in the area are AT&T. If there are no towers in the area a cell booster isn’t going to make a Verizon phone work on the AT&T network.

If there is signal in the area, you may be able to get your phone to roam on the other providers network. I think my setting default to not roam, you could check that.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    How close to the south Branch?
    I float the Trough typ 1-2 times a year. Overnight in the trough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom