• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Wow, my daughter wanted to make more apple butter and I think we are set up for two years. Half a bushel each of Fuji and Granny Smith. Did you know a whole bushel won’t fit into one canning pot until cooked all the way down. Must use 15# of sugar and makes 40 pints!!!

Be proud!

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Cases upon Cases of pasta Sauce!

This just caught my eye. I just made a post in the don't trust your freezer thread about canning. Did you can these using a water bath or a pressure canner? I read in a USDA guideline manual several years ago that if canning acidic foods such as tomatoes AND if you are NOT pickling, then a pressure canner is mandatory to avoid the risk of botulism forming in the jar. I had several older folk scoff at me when I mentioned this in the past. My mother-in-law law that pretends to know everything being one of them.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Last week I found a store selling 10lb boxes of sausage links for $3. Seemed like a deal I couldn't pass so I bought 2 boxes. All the freezers are full so I decided to can them. This was a first for me but I think they turned out well. Time will tell.
    I couldn't double stack them so I had to have both canners going. 1 old Kerr jar broke in the first batch and the last group has about 30 minutes left. I'll have 27 pint jars with 10-12 links in each jar when I'm done.

your officially Amish

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This just caught my eye. I just made a post in the don't trust your freezer thread about canning. Did you can these using a water bath or a pressure canner? I read in a USDA guideline manual several years ago that if canning acidic foods such as tomatoes AND if you are NOT pickling, then a pressure canner is mandatory to avoid the risk of botulism forming in the jar. I had several older folk scoff at me when I mentioned this in the past. My mother-in-law law that pretends to know everything being one of them.

I trust in Ball over the USDA any day of the week and twice on Sundays, for canning guidelines.

https://www.freshpreserving.com

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Thank you for the link. I see I got that info bass ackwards. Its LOW acidic foods that require pressure canning.

Yes, but somethings like jellys and perserves vary. Ball has a chart showing to do's and do not's. What area of the county are you from? We are down between Fairplay and sharpsburg. If you didn't catch it in this thread, check out the pawpaw butter. One guy posted it and I tried it and my daughter said we are canning two 5 gallon buckets of it next!! Wow, that stuff is amazing.

Be proud!

Oh I am, and mainly for her not having BF to just have one. She's finally figured out what a quality man is and stopped even bothering spending time with the lesser versions. So, now she just needs to find a good one.

We killed her nine extra roosters before the apple butter and boned them into bags. Then she experimented, with my supervision, on making pre-made chicken soup in quart jars. 1/2 cup chicken, carrots and celery, 1/4 cup onion and filled with broth and add spices and rice or noodles when making it. I wanted to add spices now, but she wants to play with them to figure what to do later. Probably smarter than my idea. Then nine pints of canned meat for the rest. Fried up the left over half pint and raved about how succulent it was. She started talking about raising a lot more chickens next year. Going to need a grow out pen.

Last edited:

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Yes, but somethings like jellys and perserves vary. Ball has a chart showing to do's and do not's. What area of the county are you from? We are down between Fairplay and sharpsburg. If you didn't catch it in this thread, check out the pawpaw butter. One guy posted it and I tried it and my daughter said we are canning two 5 gallon buckets of it next!! Wow, that stuff is amazing.

From Washington county. Born and bred. you are not far from me at all. I appreciate the heads up regarding the ball chart. I have that site bookmarked. There is a lot of good info there. I will also sift through this link and look for the apple butter. Two 5 gallon buckets.... That's impressive! That sounds like the first year that I grew ghost peppers and made salsa by the vat. I don't know how many gallons I made that year but it was a lot. We had a warm spring and I started the plant in March instead of May. That gave me a 2 month head start. I started picking in June and it produced all the way through October. That pepper plant was bush sized at around 36" diameter. It made for a hot winter.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I can different pickles and make salsa also and can in pint jars. Also did a bunch of yellow hot pepper rings and Jalapenos. My one son uses a lot of deer meat in cooking as they dont buy beef. He cuts one deer up usually in cubes mostly. He uses pressure cookers to cook and can the deer cubes. You can eat them like that right out of the jar or use later to put into beef stew or make stew for pot pies.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Archeryrob- congratulations on raising a quality woman.

Mauser58- my friend just showed me the canned deer chunk thing. It is great. I sourced a canner and I have a very small box of jars. Need to build my supplies up and get started. Been lurking on this thread for ideas.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Just received an email today that the All American pressure canner that I ordered in August is finally preparing to ship. Woo-hoo! We're gonna need more shelving.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just received an email today that the All American pressure canner that I ordered in August is finally preparing to ship. Woo-hoo! We're gonna need more shelving.

What size did you get? I am looking at ordering one.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Dblas, can't speak for smkranz but before you go ordering, talk to the vendor. If you have a glass top stove you are severely limited. They get darn heavy fast when loaded.

The most popular model from people I talk to is the 921.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I went with the 910 which looks like the small one. Says it handles 7 pints or 4 quarts at a time, which is pretty much the same capacity of my water bath canner.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

WOW! So these are a long lead items these days too, eh? I did not really give that a thought. I almost bought one a few years ago but spent $ on a nice food processor, dehydrator and other food preparation related items. The pressure canner fell to the wayside.

I hope that you have fun with it when it arrives... congratulations!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Dblas, can't speak for smkranz but before you go ordering, talk to the vendor. If you have a glass top stove you are severely limited. They get darn heavy fast when loaded.

The most popular model from people I talk to is the 921.

No such worry for me, the wife hates glass top stoves, we have a circa 1970 GE stove, still works like a champ save for the broil setting. Bad selector switch for broil and unable to find a working replacement.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, next trip to Ohio to deal with dad's estate, I will be loading up a truckload (literally) of jars, lids and bands and bringing them back. They were my grandmother's (dad's mom), who passed back in November and the house and contents went to him. I have been trying to find any and all of her other canning stuff, but I think others might have gotten that stuff when she went into assisted living some time ago.

Anyway, I should be set for jars for a good long time, need to check the lids and bands, and replace what needs replaced. One thing at a time though.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Dblas, you are a lucky man to acquire that volume of supplies!

As for the broil select, if the stove is 70s vintage, it should be all solid state. I assume you have a rotary selector dial to control the oven. There will be an audible click sound when going from the highest numerical setting to broil. If this is not heard/felt, you probably have a bad rotary switch or rotary switch contact. If the switch is at fault due to oxidized contacts, disassemble, clean contacts with diamond abrasive or fine sandpaper, polish, and reassemble.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Dblas, you are a lucky man to acquire that volume of supplies!

As for the broil select, if the stove is 70s vintage, it should be all solid state. I assume you have a rotary selector dial to control the oven. There will be an audible click sound when going from the highest numerical setting to broil. If this is not heard/felt, you probably have a bad rotary switch or rotary switch contact. If the switch is at fault due to oxidized contacts, disassemble, clean contacts with diamond abrasive or fine sandpaper, polish, and reassemble.

I am lucky and fortunate, I haven't canned in years (since I was a kid and helped my grandparents and great-grandparents), but I am starting to get interested in it again. What better to get started than to use jars and supplies that she used.

Yep, the rotary is the issue, No click, and no voltage on the contact when moved to that position. I hadn't thought about taking the switch apart and cleaning. I guess I will check into that. Other than that, this thing is a tank (in Goldenrod), and just keeps on ticking. We have lived here for 22 years, it came with the house, and is original to the house.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I am lucky and fortunate, I haven't canned in years (since I was a kid and helped my grandparents and great-grandparents), but I am starting to get interested in it again. What better to get started than to use jars and supplies that she used.

Yep, the rotary is the issue, No click, and no voltage on the contact when moved to that position. I hadn't thought about taking the switch apart and cleaning. I guess I will check into that. Other than that, this thing is a tank (in Goldenrod), and just keeps on ticking. We have lived here for 22 years, it came with the house, and is original to the house.

I have fixed two "obsolete" fridges that one could not get tstats for by disassembling them (no they are not meant to come apart but epoxy and zip ties work wonders) and cleaning the arc damage off the contacts. On (in the place I rent) is still going fine several years later. The other, in my friend's place, made it another couple of years and his wife made him junk it. The old stuff is the good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom