• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Suppose one lives in a free state in which concealed carry is not uncommon.
    Consider a hypothetical scenario in which you are at a public event with many hundreds of attendees, and a murdering psycho comes along and starts shooting at people. People are screaming and running around in chaos. You take cover and draw your weapon. So does another well-meaning armed civilian. The police have been called and are rushing to the scene. You now have 1 bad guy and 3 good guys, NONE OF WHOM KNEW THE OTHER WAS ARMED.

How does one guarantee that they are not mistaken for the bad guy by the other 2 good guys, who may or may not be particularly well trained?

Almost every personal defense scenario that has been presented to me presumes there is only 1 good guy with a gun. Defending oneself from 1 or more muggers; defending one's family from 1 or more home invaders; defending one's business from 1 or more robbers; defending the patrons of a mall food court from a murdering psycho. But especially in a public place it is not unreasonable to think that there could be multiple good guys or multiple bad guys, and conflicting 911 reports and bullets flying in multiple directions. I haven't seen a lot that addresses how to avoid friendly fire.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Very tough scenario. I could only imagine yelling "friendly" towards the other armed respondents in the hope that you are not mistaken for another bad guy.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If the bad guy is shooting at everyone, don't shoot anyone shooting at the bad guy, and hopefully they won't shoot at you. It is a tough scenario. You never know if the shooter has partners. I vaguely remember a active shooter in a store, good guy with a gun puts a himself between a woman and the shooter, and she shoots him from behind as she is with the bad guy.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    That was Vegas several years ago. Man and women kilt some cops in a pizza joint. Escaped to Walmart. Guy saw the man, made a move, unaware of the woman. Woman shot the guy. At least the couple committed suicide rather than burden the court and prison systems.

as to the op. If you’re looking for Guarantees, stay home. There arent any. Even staying home ain’t Really one either.

Even if you escape whatever happened originally, the police will be along to “help”.

if you get to where you were felt the need to shoot, every moment after is just a matter of trying to escape alive. Until the things is done.

If the bad guy is shooting at everyone, don't shoot anyone shooting at the bad guy, and hopefully they won't shoot at you. It is a tough scenario. You never know if the shooter has partners. I vaguely remember a active shooter in a store, good guy with a gun puts a himself between a woman and the shooter, and she shoots him from behind as she is with the bad guy.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Unless you have a clearly identified target and a clear line of fire, you're going to take up a good defensive position behind whatever cover and concealment you have available, call 911 then wait for the Cavalry to arrive.

Defend only yourself and those around you.

If somebody with with a gun comes towards you, you're going to tell them to "Halt! Advance to be Recognize" just like a GI on sentry.

If they either refuse or point a weapon at you then re-issue your command again. Still refuse and continue to point their weapon at you then if they try to shoot you, you go ahead and shoot them right back

Go back to waiting for the Cops to arrive.

Once the Cops get there, put your gun down, hands on top your head and identify yourself as a good guy until the responding Cops are convinced not to shoot you

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The number of plainclothes and off duty LEO shot by other responding officers is not insignificant. ( My numbers are out of date , more current will take digging. )

No guarantees for anyone .

If you were watching a Batman flick , or having lunch at a food court , the BG will be Blatantly Obvious . IF a situation isn't Blatantly Obvious, don't engage yet if at all .

Unlike obscenity, if you see an actual mass murder in action , you Will Know It When You See It .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Take cover and assess the situation. Look for an exit, if possible.

Do not go hunting the bad guy, defend the space you are in.

There are a lot of variables that need to be computed before you take any action. As pointed out in an earlier post, until you know what you are dealing with, your only goal initially is to protect yourself and your family.

Engaging in a firefight or drawing on someone is a last resort because all other options have been exhausted.

Last edited:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Dont draw your gun, until you have no choice. Dont draw and shoot at anyone that is not shooting at you first. Yes it sucks but its the safest thing to do.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I have often thought about these types of situations. My responsibility it to protect myself and those who are with em.

If there are 2 yutes or groups of yutes that seem to be going after each other, I have no dog in that fight and need to get away until or unless one of those yutes attempts to cause trouble with me.

If the situation is different, such as one ore more people just randomly attacking people, my first responsibility is still self preservation and getting out of there until or unless that is no longer an option.

The easiest situation may be one where there is someone who is looking for the Aloha Snack Bar, but one issue with directly interacting with this person is that they may not be alone.

Just things to think about.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Proximity to the shooter determines your course of action. Timing is your friend as well.
    If he is just starting the shooting and you are close, like a distance you are confident you can make a shot, then take it right then. Close the gap if you have to. If not, then get the hell out of dodge. Don't do something stupid like "take up a defensive position" with your gun drawn and get caught in some stupid cross fire.

If you can't take a shot on the threat, it's likely he can't take a shot on you.

I'm not big on calling 911 in these situations(because good shooting requires both hands), but I am to let them know my description in this scenario.
    Most people are bad shots, so don't assume just because they are carrying that the other good guys will make good decisions or shots.

However, if you are feelin' frisky, are right with your God, family, and friends, then by all means get into the mix and give yourself the ultimate test. Me? I know what my plan is. Know yours before hand too.

But the only scenario when none of this applies, is inside a school with armed teachers. Because everyone thinks they can be trained Tier 1 Operators 40 hours a year and go clear hallways. lol

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Has happened even in MD. Cops got fired on at the police station. Police returned fire and shot/killed plain clothes that was firing on the bad guys.

If you draw your firearm, assume you're a target.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Unless me or my family are in direct danger, I plan on becoming a good witness from under cover.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Has happened even in MD. Cops got fired on at the police station. Police returned fire and shot/killed plain clothes that was firing on the bad guys.

this the incident where the poor plain clothes was behind a car in PG county firing back and the cops shot him? Sad.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    There was one video i saw in store, one guy went in shooting but didnt see hus wife trailing behind. Good guy goes after husband only to be taken out by the wife

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

this the incident where the poor plain clothes was behind a car in PG county firing back and the cops shot him? Sad.
    This isn't the only one we have had. But it is one of the schidtiest ones.

My policy is "me and mine first". If you are a threat to those things, or preventing egress/escape, too bad for you if I can get shots on you. If you aren't, not my problem. way too easy to screw up and.shoot the wrong person (happens too often) or get shot by someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom