• ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Well just to be clear,
    I want the piece for my wife,
    I want a wheel gun, i would go with a smith,ruger or a colt
    But what I find is either too old or too expensive

Not sure this is how I'd justify my money on a life insurance policy (age, cost).

Age in this case, if the condition is good (low round count, well cared for, etc.), a slightly more expensive gun might be worth the difference in cost due to QUALITY.

That said I owned a Taurus and had zero problems with it. From what I've read their QC is spotty. If you get a good one it works fine, if not you have problems. I just found out I was more interested in semi-autos than revolvers.But that's just me.

How experienced is your wife? Has she shot much? What are HER choices (when you go out to dinner do you order for her or let her choose)?

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I not only don't own a Taurus, I've never fired one. Is the quality control really that bad with them or is did they get this reputation from a manufacturing mistake or two?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    All said and done looks like either one of these will cost me $370.00
    Good names in a detective gun are over 800.00

If you have to have 6 rounds in a snub-nose this may be true.

If you need the snub nose, but can live with 5 rounds either a Ruger LCR or S&W J-frame is a better quality choice.

If you need the 6 rounds, but can live with a longer barrel S&W K-frame trade-ins are in (or at least were in) that price range.

Middle ground maybe look for a Ruger SP101 in .327 federal. Solid build and will definitely be less than $800, but a little higher than what you're looking at now.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Well just to be clear,
    I want the piece for my wife,
    I want a wheel gun, i would go with a smith,ruger or a colt
    But what I find is either too old or too expensive

Of course. It’s for a woman so it has to be a small revolver. :rolleyes:

Might be a better choice to take her to a range and let her try a variety of guns to see which she likes best and shoots best.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does it have to be a 38 snub nose? Recoil and blast from anything more than wadcutters is not going to be appreciated by someone new to shooting. Better, a bit larger revolver like a S&W M10 Larger grip, slightly bigger barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are 5 and 6 shot 2in .38spl fine guns in their own right ? Absolutely !

Should you arbitrarily select any gun for someone else , particularly a spouse ? Absolutely not .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have a cold detective special. Love it.

Taurus

Neither.

See if you can find a used S/W or Ruger SP-101.

EAA Windicator .38Spl/.357 would be in this price range. A bit heavy but it has a decent reputation.

How does the price of a good used S&W Model 10 or 64 compare in today's market?

S&W 642 Airweight if you are going with a .38.

The Smith is only $100 more than the Taurus and the best part it's not a Taurus

Ruger SP101 for .357

I'm a snub snob; I like Smith models 40, 42, 38 or 49, or their more modern variants, in .38Spl, or Colt Det Spl styles with the hammer shroud. Not familiar with the examples in the OP, so cannot comment on that set of choices.

There's ammunition developed especially for short-barreled revolvers, with low-flash powders and hard-cast wadcutters, that should be effective at snub ranges.

The few RIA revolvers I've handled weren't bad, they're based on the Colt design. I'd rather get a new Colt Cobra, but that's outside your budget. FYI, the speed loader for the Detective/Cobra work with the RIA.

Does it have to be a 38 snub nose? Recoil and blast from anything more than wadcutters is not going to be appreciated by someone new to shooting. Better, a bit larger revolver like a S&W M10 Larger grip, slightly bigger barrel.

NONE of these are either of his 2 choices. :sad20:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are 5 and 6 shot 2in .38spl fine guns in their own right ? Absolutely !

Should you arbitrarily select any gun for someone else , particularly a spouse ? Absolutely not .

So, no one should take your advice also, right? Never suggest anything for someone else.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Suggest is different from Select .

I would indeed Suggest a good revolver for their consideration .

( Ok , I have selected , as in given gifts , to Mrs Biggfoot and Littlefoot44 . But they're both experienced shooters , and I know their preferences .)

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The wife should make the decision on her defensive weapon and be comfortable with it. Take her shooting with a good selection of hand guns to try.

Went through this with a daughter recently and she chose a semi and has been training with it when they can find ammo. Still tends to limp wrist after shooting a while but improving with each session. At first, she hated the semi-autos and loved my S&W snubby. When she began to shoot more, her preferences changed as her skills improved.

Revolvers are a good choice and will still fire and cycle if the shooter limp wrists. She may not hit a target, but she will scare the crap out any attacker which is usually good enough.

The .38 spl. can be very manageable with a good set of grips for newer shooters on a snubby. I would suggest a frame that can handle +P loads. In a snubby, you want a powerful defensive round since it will lack the velocity that comes with longer barrels. I would avoid used wheel guns unless you know how to properly inspect one. Lots of things can be just a little off from wear or abuse, even on a gun that appears to be well cared for.

The downside is that most heavy framed, 6 round revolvers are quite heavy compared to today's semi-auto pistols with higher round capacities. They are also less concealable in most cases.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I not only don't own a Taurus, I've never fired one. Is the quality control really that bad with them or is did they get this reputation from a manufacturing mistake or two?

I think a lot depends on which model and when it was made. I have an early PT 92 that has always been reliable. Their newer products I’m not sure of. Their early revolvers I believe we’re also better than the newer products.

Even S&W went through some bad years in the early 80’s.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From what I understand Taurus has been making changes to improve QC. Their product and service reputation in the market gave them a black eye. Competition is tougher now in the lower cost tier where guns work. I shot Taurus, Rossi snubs owned by a friend abd they worked fine. There wee also guns that didn’t fair well operationally. It was, “Well if you get a good one...” occurrences.

What I read on the 856 last night was favorable in that I didn’t find a negative review on this model. So it could be a sound purchase.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Regardless of choice, if you're going to carry a snubbie for SD then educate yourself by reading the teachings of William Fairbairn, Rex Applegate, and Jim Cirillo.

Mindset is your most important tool to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom