• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Why doesn't Rugged make a 5.56 can? I know you can use a 30 cal on 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, etc., but seems to me they would have made a can optimized for 5.56 that would fit their 30 cal mounts. :shrug:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Why doesn't Rugged make a 5.56 can? I know you can use a 30 cal on 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, etc., but seems to me they would have made a can optimized for 5.56 that would fit their 30 cal mounts. :shrug:
    For safety and liability purposes, they would likely have to change their mounts and attachment method so that .30 cal cans fit on 5.56 rifles, but 5.56 cans don’t fit on .30 cal rifles.

They probably also don’t see a large benefit in doing so when their thing is bombproof rifle cans. I don’t see them doing a tubeless design to compete with the DA Nomad or YHM series cans.

That said I would love to see a fatter Radiant, maybe sized up for big bore hunting applications.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    They do sell 5.56mm end caps for the Razor. I have one but haven’t tried it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most everyone is moving away from them. Only real benefit is usually a 5.56 can can be a little shorter/lighter with the same performance, but kinda negated with their modular length system. Dedicated 5.56 cans have a fair ammount more restriction than most 30cal cans on ARs too, usually any decrease in muzzle numbers has an increase in at-ear readings. Caliber specific end caps can give anywhere from no change to a noticeable drop. My cans are newer, but I usually can't tell a difference going from 9 to 30 or 30 to 22, but a decent improvement going from 9 to 22. As far as caliber specific mounts to prevent a 22 can on a 308 host, most everyone uses the same QD mount system across calibers, or at least interchangeable end caps, so doesn't seem to be much of a concern.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I had in my head the example of the YHM Turbo Gen 1, but it appears YHM gave up on making compatibility a one way street (e.g. .30 cal can fits on a 5.56 muzzle device, but not vice versa) with their Gen 2 lineup.

At any rate, I like 5.56 suppressors when they make sense. To carry forth with YHM since I had them in mind when I made my first post, the Turbo K is significantly cheaper (or was when I could just go online and buy one whenever I wanted to), lighter, and based on independent metering data (both at ear and at muzzle), quieter than the Resonator K on a number of 5.56 hosts. That makes a lot of sense to me, which is why I purchased one to live on a 12.5” upper.

The interesting thing to me is: Why doesn’t Dead Air make a 5.56 specific can? Not necessarily because I think it’s a good idea, but because I think they are leaving money on the table. If they made something like a Sandman K or S (or even a lighter Nomad) in 5.56 that saved a good amount of weight/length and improved performance of something relatively K sized, pretty sure their rabid fan base would lose it. Guys were buying the Sandman K 2-3 at a time when the special HPA price was in effect, just because it was a “good deal” and since they are hardcore they only needed it to “take the edge off.” Only to discover how much more of a moderator it is than a suppressor, particularly for supersonic centerfire rifle rounds.

At any rate, if it improves performance or handling characteristics and you aren’t trying to buy just one general purpose can, I have no problem with caliber specific stuff. As always, the buyer may find her or she did not correctly anticipate his or her needs down the road, but that’s what silencer shop is for.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I had in my head the example of the YHM Turbo Gen 1, but it appears YHM gave up on making compatibility a one way street (e.g. .30 cal can fits on a 5.56 muzzle device, but not vice versa) with their Gen 2 lineup.

At any rate, I like 5.56 suppressors when they make sense. To carry forth with YHM since I had them in mind when I made my first post, the Turbo K is significantly cheaper (or was when I could just go online and buy one whenever I wanted to), lighter, and based on independent metering data (both at ear and at muzzle), quieter than the Resonator K on a number of 5.56 hosts. That makes a lot of sense to me, which is why I purchased one to live on a 12.5” upper.

The interesting thing to me is: Why doesn’t Dead Air make a 5.56 specific can? Not necessarily because I think it’s a good idea, but because I think they are leaving money on the table. If they made something like a Sandman K or S (or even a lighter Nomad) in 5.56 that saved a good amount of weight/length and improved performance of something relatively K sized, pretty sure their rabid fan base would lose it. Guys were buying the Sandman K 2-3 at a time when the special HPA price was in effect, just because it was a “good deal” and since they are hardcore they only needed it to “take the edge off.” Only to discover how much more of a moderator it is than a suppressor, particularly for supersonic centerfire rifle rounds.

At any rate, if it improves performance or handling characteristics and you aren’t trying to buy just one general purpose can, I have no problem with caliber specific stuff. As always, the buyer may find her or she did not correctly anticipate his or her needs down the road, but that’s what silencer shop is for.

I think much of it is how suppressor sales have shifted, but agreed, when done right, they can offer a lot in specific application. For a mil or PD contract, simple QD or torqueable direct thread 5.56 cans make a lot of sense, K cans with less backpressure even more so. The turbo Ks or SOCOM 556 mini are awesome cans with minimal bulk and length added, the way to go if you just want a can to live on a service rifle. With the retail market going crazy for suppressors in the last few years, people want cans to resemble a lego set, and modular/multi cal cans are taking off, and that segment seems to be getting the most attention. Even with fixed mount/caliber cans most just use 30 cal cans because they aren't using their stuff for anything where a couple inches and ounces would matter. I wonder as time goes on if manufacturers get back to simple inexpensive purpose built cans, or if they are going to keep driving new designs to eliminate the downsides of multi-cal cans, maybe both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom