• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Actually the main idea behind fmj and military calibers it to make an injury, not a kill. As it causes more troubles to an enemy. While in hunting the main goal is retrieve the meat (or trophy).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've heard that nonsense about that's why they went to 22 cal. They also said it tumbles, I liken that theory more, infinitely more damage tumbling or shooting off in another direction inside a body. Not too many survived a 30 cal to vitals. A fmj will penetrate objects like a 12 in tree as well, nice to know in places like the Ardennes or on a water cooled Merlin or Daimler.
    FMJ rifle bullets give far more reliable feed on the feed ramp, when something is humming at 600 rounds per minute you don't want a mangled soft point.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've head that nonsense about that's why they went to 22 cal. They also said it tumbles, I liken that theory more, infinitely more damage tumbling or shooting off in another direction inside a body. Not too many survived a 30 cal to vitals. A fmj will penetrate objects like a 12 in tree as well, nice to know in places like the Ardennes or on a water cooled Merlin or Daimler.
    FMJ rifle bullets give far more reliable feed on the feed ramp, when something is humming at 600 rounds per minute you don't want a mangled soft point.
    The theory is;kill someone on the battlefield and he's dead. Wound someone on the battlefield and you take him out and the ones who care for him.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    It's the bullet design more than the caliber, but I get your point.

I used 30 cal as an example since most my shit is 30, back in 65 or 66 the common word was the 5.56 tumbled and mangled, they liked the theory of an arm entrance and a chest exit. THAT is hardly a wound but a kill.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    #8 shuffled off this mortal coil today

Attachments

• C6D03C6E-53AE-424D-8EA5-722C7C4BCF1A.jpeg
      C6D03C6E-53AE-424D-8EA5-722C7C4BCF1A.jpeg
      57.2 KB · Views: 238

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I was able to take a big doe this evening with my muzzleloader. The neat thing was i took it with a bullet that I casted.

I was using a 50 cal. 320 grain Lee REAL bullet, being pushed by 60 grains of 3F powder. She was about 30 yards away when I shot. I destroyed the heart, and she ran about 20 yards. The bullet went all the way though, so I couldn’t recover it. Kinda wished it didn’t, as I wanted to see how well it expanded.
    Anyways, more meat for the freezer!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was able to take a big doe this evening with my muzzleloader. The neat thing was i took it with a bullet that I casted.

I was using a 50 cal. 320 grain Lee REAL bullet, being pushed by 60 grains of 3F powder. She was about 30 yards away when I shot. I destroyed the heart, and she ran about 20 yards. The bullet went all the way though, so I couldn’t recover it. Kinda wished it didn’t, as I wanted to see how well it expanded.
    Anyways, more meat for the freezer!
    Congrats!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I shot a huge doe this morning. Neck shot, hit the jugular and the deer ran about 30 yards spraying blood like crazy. I could actually see the blood trail from up in my stand.

Like Brickman I also used a hand casted Lee REAL slug. Mine are 250 grain slugs with 100 grains of powder behind it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I shot a huge doe this morning. Neck shot, hit the jugular and the deer ran about 30 yards spraying blood like crazy. I could actually see the blood trail from up in my stand.

Like Brickman I also used a hand casted Lee REAL slug. Mine are 250 grain slugs with 100 grains of powder behind it.

Awesome! Would this bullet happen to be cast from the lead you purchased from me and my brother?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Awesome! Would this bullet happen to be cast from the lead you purchased from me and my brother?

No this one was cast by Deep Creek Rock, a member here that doesnt post anymore. I’m down to my last few bullets from him so the lead I bought from you will be next years loads. :thumbsup:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    No this one was cast by Deep Creek Rock, a member here that doesnt post anymore. I’m down to my last few bullets from him so the lead I bought from you will be next years loads. :thumbsup:

Gotcha. I’m impressed that you can used that much powder with those bullets. When I tried loads that heavy, accuracy fell off big time. I’d like to shoot using more powder, for a little more power. The 60 grain load definitely did the job though.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Gotcha. I’m impressed that you can used that much powder with those bullets. When I tried loads that heavy, accuracy fell off big time. I’d like to shoot using more powder, for a little more power. The 60 grain load definitely did the job though.

Yeah i randomly picked 100grains as a starting point when i sighted it in and it worked well. I need to fine tune the accuracy though so who knows it may drop some.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Brickman, my daughter used one of our lee REALs in 240 grain over a felt wad on 80 grains 777 and the bullet stopped inside. I am assuming the soft lead mushrooms out fast. She pulled the shot and hit more liver than lungs, so I am assuming it caused more friction. I too would liked to have recovered the bullet but had the flu and she wouldn't dig for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom