• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P

Puck Smith

I'm not going to go into a long spiel, I'm not that interesting. My firearms experience is limited. I trained on an M-16, but that was a few decades ago. So far in the past as to be just about meaningless. I have not handled any firearms since. I never felt the need. That has changed though. Chalk it up to the interesting times we live in.

I intend to acquire a shotgun for home defense. I have few models in mind, but I'm planning on visiting either Gilbert's or IWLA--I live in Rockville--to try as many different type as I can while I make up my mind. I am a small framed fellow--barely 140 lbs soaking wet--so I'll probably end up with a 20 gauge or even a 410. Across a 10 foot room I doubt it makes that much difference. :) I'm leaning toward a Mossberg, but we shall see.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.

Peace.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Welcome to the fold. Get comfortable and settle in.

Just a suggestion, I would go a used mossberg 500 in 20 guage if thats what your comfortable with.
    You can/and probably will continue to grow collection for the "interesting" times.
    And I would suggest a BASICS class. Just flat out good info.

Welcome, and THANK YOU for your service and the "training on that 16"

TNT

P

Puck Smith

Welcome to the fold. Get comfortable and settle in.

Just a suggestion, I would go a used mossberg 500 in 20 guage if thats what your comfortable with.
    You can/and probably will continue to grow collection for the "interesting" times.
    And I would suggest a BASICS class. Just flat out good info.

Welcome, and THANK YOU for your service and the "training on that 16"

TNT

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I fully intend to get as much training in safety as in actual use. That's one of the reason I'm considering Gilbert's, at least initially. I always learn how to properly use my tools. I don't intend to do this any differently.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 168

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm not going to go into a long spiel, I'm not that interesting. My firearms experience is limited. I trained on an M-16, but that was a few decades ago. So far in the past as to be just about meaningless. I have not handled any firearms since. I never felt the need. That has changed though. Chalk it up to the interesting times we live in.

I intend to acquire a shotgun for home defense. I have few models in mind, but I'm planning on visiting either Gilbert's or IWLA--I live in Rockville--to try as many different type as I can while I make up my mind. I am a small framed fellow--barely 140 lbs soaking wet--so I'll probably end up with a 20 gauge or even a 410. Across a 10 foot room I doubt it makes that much difference. :) I'm leaning toward a Mossberg, but we shall see.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.

Peace.
    welcome...dont get intimidated by a 12 ga...they arent that bad...try a remington 870.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I second getting a 12Ga for home defense.

There are several things you can do to reduce felt recoil if that is your concern.

20Ga. loads carry far less projectiles than a comparable 12 Ga load, the variety of ammo is limited, and in many cases you end up paying more for less.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    K31 said:
    I second getting a 12Ga for home defense.

There are several things you can do to reduce felt recoil if that is your concern.

20Ga. loads carry far less projectiles than a comparable 12 Ga load, the variety of ammo is limited, and in many cases you end up paying more for less.

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom