• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Short Suppressor guy here, so here are my current favorites and suggestions:

Dead Air Sandman-K (7.62)

YHM Resonator K (7.62)

YHM Turbo K (5.56)

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I'm going to put the money down on a Griffin Armament M4SD II next month hopefully. It'll allow me to suppress my Tavor with a Griffin Armament muzzle device and and my AR-15 with a NATO-spec A2.

Sadly tavors don't suppress well, but maybe a suppressor with Flow-Through technology like OSS type might work a bit better, but I can't say for sure. http://youtu.be/i4_HHweHw-s Here's a review that I did on this particular topic a while back.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Sadly tavors don't suppress well, but maybe a suppressor with Flow-Through technology like OSS type might work a bit better, but I can't say for sure. http://youtu.be/i4_HHweHw-s Here's a review that I did on this particular topic a while back.

That's what I hear as well. I mostly got the Flashcomp because it's a hell of a lot better than the stock muzzle brake. From what I hear, some gasket sealer where the rail meets the receiver helps a lot.

I realized I've been watching your vids for a while. XD

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Omega 300

Two weeks ago I ordered my first can. I went with the Omega 300 as I will be using it on my 300 blackout as well as my 5.56. Check back with me in 11 months or so to see how I like it.

Just got mine out of jail a week ago. Have not shot with it, as of yet.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And for further clarity, you want to hide the fact, from your wife, that you are purchasing a suppressor, correct?

I have the different problem wrt my wife. I gleefully show her my purchases and she is totally bored and uninterested; esp. NFA and the complex laws. As long as everything else is taken care of, she just kind of ignores my firearms-related spending. She knows its my hobby and accepts that.

I envy the guys that have wives that like to hunt and shoot; but then I guess I'd have to buy her guns in addition to everything else :eek:

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    I have a Rugged Radiant 30 cal in jail; Other than get a 30 cal, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Size, weight, material, cost, customer service, all vary, and there are trade-offs. I'll defer to others for more detailed experience with specific products. Read the various threads here.

I want a Radiant, just don't feel like waiting another 12 months. Already have Surge, Razor and Micro 30. All great cans.

I have 13 or 14 suppressors at this point. I am a "one suppressor per firearm" kind of guy. I have everything from general purpose do all cans to ridiculous unitasker cans. I regularly shoot with other people who also enjoy collecting random suppressors and playing with them, so I've tried out a good variety of them.

What I would recommend to the OP would differ greatly depending on what the OP wants to do with the can.

OP isn't sure: Rugged Radiant, Dead Air Nomad, or YHM Resonator. Great general purpose suppressors that will always have a use.

OP wants a hard use general purpose can: Dead Air Sandman S, Rugged Razor (or Surge), CGS Helios QD, TBAC Dominus (based solely on TBAC reputation and early metering, haven't touched one yet), Griffin 30SD-K, or Silencerco Chimera.

OP wants a lightweight short can for 5.56 only use: YHM Turbo K. Seriously, everyone should own at least one of these. The Resonator K might seem tempting but it meters about 10db higher at the muzzle than the Turbo K. Meters about the same as the Turbo K at the ear, but having an order of magnitude more noise coming out of the front of the gun is enough to make me recommend the caliber specific can. Seriously, this is the can to own for a home defense rifle in 5.56. Performs great, low backpressure, cheap enough that if you use it for its intended purpose you aren't going to cry if you have to long term loan it to the police.

I have used the newest gen OSS suppressors. They are a cool concept and I think the idea has merit, but they are pretty loud. As in still probably ring your ears if used indoors loud. They are good for full auto fire as you'll likely have a lot of earpro on anyway, and they do reduce concussion enough that shooting belt feds at the range all day doesn't make your head feel full of playdough afterward. I think another generation or two of refinement needs to happen before I seriously consider buying one. I think the CGS Helios QD is a better option for similar performance at the moment.

Ultimately anything from a reputable brand is going to be pretty good. I don't prefer the Silencerco muzzle devices and ASR attachment system, but it is fine if that's what you have.

All good info. I settled on Rugged to standardize across my rifles. Have a Surge, Razor, and Micro 30. Radiant would be nice due to weight but was not released when I started my last 366 day wait.

warreng

Feb 1, 2012
    I have a pair of AAC 762SDN6 suppressors and a threaded Gemtech GMT300. The AACs are QD connection and the Gemtech threaded. The Gemtech is mounted on my 300BLK SBR and never comes off. The AACs move between my 5.56 and 30 cal rifles. I chose the AACs based upon dB reduction, materials/durability and cost. The Gemtech for the same reasons plus it was shorter and lighter than most others. I'm happy with all three. I also bought all three at the same time along with my SBR. Less hassle than going thru the process four separate times. Used a trust on advice from friends and the law firm I contacted/dealt with.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    I’m running a sig556qd. I love the tone, paired with my sig upper, there is no felt gas blowback. The one thing I dislike is the fact that sometimes a wrench is needed to remove the can. It was supposedly supposed to come with the wrench but there wasn’t one in the box.

tdmne

Apr 28, 2020
    Short Suppressor guy here, so here are my current favorites and suggestions:

Dead Air Sandman-K (7.62)

YHM Resonator K (7.62)

YHM Turbo K (5.56)
    Just curious, how do you like the yhm mounts? I’ve been very tempted to order the turbo k and get the kurz kit.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Serious question. Is a suppressed .223/5.56 worth it? I assume by the muzzle fine but when it hits the sound barrier.... I have shot subsonic 5.56 from TomKat before the reorg there. PITA with an AR due to not cycling. Unless a bolt action, not worth it? sorry for the dumb question.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co

I suppressed my Tavor once and took the mount and suppressor off immediately. The gas in your face was prohibitive.

There's great value i suppressing 5.56. The blast and flash are greatly reduced.
    I use my suppressed SBR 5.56 as a training aid for my 300 BLK .

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Serious question. Is a suppressed .223/5.56 worth it? I assume by the muzzle fine but when it hits the sound barrier.... I have shot subsonic 5.56 from TomKat before the reorg there. PITA with an AR due to not cycling. Unless a bolt action, not worth it? sorry for the dumb question.
    I think it is worth it to get rid of blast and concussion from any supersonic rifle round, but not everyone will feel that way.
    What do you want to do with suppressed 5.56? If you want whisper quiet then it is not worth it. Honestly even suppressed subsonic .300blk from a semi auto isn't that quiet, around 130-135db.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

It's worth it IMO, eliminating the noise/ blast from the muzzle makes it a LOT more comfortable to shoot. True, supersonic rounds are loud downrange, but the "crack" from the shooters ear is usually less than the suppressed muzzle blast for most every centerfire rifle caliber. There is a ton of debate and few measurements, but most seem to put the crack from supersonic 5.56 between 120-130db, downrange, with the shooter primarily getting reflected sound, compared to 160db or so from an unsuppressed muzzle. THe other part of the equation is gas blowback burning your eyes, bolt actions and some piston guns are more comfortable than overgassed ARs and blowback PCCs, managing the gas IMO is a bigger deal on ARs that the sonic crack. It's true that subsonic loads are fun, and some calibers can be really quiet, but pretty much everything is better suppressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom