Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 6th, 2020, 06:31 AM #11

Find an 1100 somewheere long barrel for clays deer barrel for home.
Oh and learn how to clean it they always work. If theyre clean!
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 08:33 AM #12

I ended up with a Beretta 686 but I am far from a subject matter expert.
Old September 1st, 2020, 11:08 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Stoeger is a lower-priced Beretta (some interchangeable parts), the M3000 is semi-auto, comes in a variety of package forms, $600 range https://www.stoegerindustries.com/

THIS. I have a Stoeger M3K (already set up for 3 gun, its just a slightly modified M3000) and it has worked flawlessly out of the box with anything Ive put through it from day one. About $600 and no need to clean it religiously.
No personal experience about the Mossberg JM series but have heard about many issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 12:12 PM #14
Powered by natural gas

Powered by natural gas

He shoulda armed up 5 years ago.

But seriously, I second the recommendation for a Tristar semi auto. I have had 3 (Viper, Raptor, Tec 12), still have 2, (Viper and T12). There was the Armsan brand of the Viper G2 for sale on here for a while, and it is still on armslist. There are a few semi autos on Armslist;

https://www.armslist.com/classifieds/maryland/shotguns

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
Sirex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 12:39 PM #15
For great Justice

For great Justice

Main difference is that O/Us are a little more compact for a given barrel length(shorter action), a little more recoil, a little better balance, a little easier to run, and they can use a specific choke for each shot. The last is probably the main advantage where clays course designers love to have "semi penalty" presentations with something like a fast crossing clay within a few yards benefitting from an open choke, and a 2nd retreating clay far away that needs a tight choke. I'm a beretta fan, but Browning and Benelli make good stuff too, the "B" guns. If you are on a sub $1k budget, a used or lower end "B" gun is probably best, especially an O/U, but some have luck with Stoeger M3000s, Rem 1100s. Mossberg silver reserve and 930s can be hit or miss, but can be great for the price if you get a good one. I have a 22" JM pro 930 that had a few hickups for the first 500 or so rounds, primarily because of tight gas rings, but after loosening up it runs flawlessly, it's primarily for 3 gun, but I love shooting clays with it. My 28" Beretta AL391 was flawless out of the box, it's a MUCH better clays gun, I prefer semis personally, and occasionally shoot tripples so it works for me. of course fit matters more with shotguns than perhaps anything else, even inexpensive guns usually include shims to adjust the stock fit, but you definitely want to spend a couple bucks more if it gets you a gun that points or feels better

As far as using a clays gun for defense, IMO only if you don't have anything else. Most everything that makes a clays gun good for clays(long barrel/s, long LOP, slim low capacity mag, tuned for birdhot) makes it bad for defense. Each intended use really should have a dedicated gun, I have run enough shotgun comps and classes to know that a carbine is FAR SUPERIOR in a HD setting, no question about it. Shotguns are really hard to run well, and you need as much help as you can get to mitigate the overall length, heavy recoil, low capacity, and potential reliability issues with defensive shells, don't handicap yoursel further with a 4 foot long clays gun that only holds a couple rounds, and only ever sees birdshot.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2020, 07:58 PM #16

You cant go wrong with a Beretta A400. Its at the higher end of reasonable priced but you get what you pay for and its an outstanding gun for clays.
ForcedSig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2020, 03:40 PM #17
American Sporting Rifle

American Sporting Rifle

Which ever of these fits you best:

Browning Citori CXS

Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I Sporting

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns