• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Can I just gripe for a minute? I just moved here from the free state of Texas, where the norm for an FFL transfer fee was $20. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but usually $20 was easy enough to find most anywhere you went.

I recently transferred a pistol into a LGS and forked over $60 to the LGS, then $10 to MSP...I can't believe the prices here. I've called around a few places, and it seems that $50 (plus $10) seems to be the norm. What gives?!?

OK, gripe over.

p.s.
    If you know somewhere giving cheaper transfers in AAC then what I paid please let me know!

I don't think your outrage will find too much sympathy from natives of The Feestate (the "R's" got run out a long time ago) who have never lived any better. :sad20: BUT, you can do something to help. Keep that outrage, and focus it to where it can have a productive outcome: not at the LGS's who have to try to operate in these deplorable conditions, but the AHOLE's in Annapolis who create these deplorable conditions.

Get involved with any number of local Second Amendment groups (Maryland Shall Issue is my favorite, but there are others such as MSRPA). Find out who your representatives are and make your voice heard. I'm betting from AA County you could really help the fight by changing who your representative is. More importantly, get friends and family to do this as well. :mdpatriot

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    My 20 dollar transfer LGS also sells the lock, but he sells it at his own cost, no markup. Don't remember, maybe 12 bucks?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    They have very recently lightened up on the bore lock requirements. Still need a lock but now the cable will do according to Rachel with the MSP who also resides over the handgun roster. I had her send me an email because most ffls were as sick of the requirement as anyone. Most new guns come with an adequate lock. Bore lock supply was drying up. This created unnecessary problems.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Medusa Munition

I just picked up two blemished PA10 lowers from Medusa Munition.
    It was $15 transfer. I think Mary said $25 or some like that for both, but I gave her $30 anyway.

The regulated stuff there, like pistol is $30 transfer WITH $10 MSP fee.

A bit of a drive, but if you time it right it was a nice scenic drive, at least for me.

I just picked up two blemished PA10 lowers from Medusa Munition.
    It was $15 transfer. I think Mary said $25 or some like that for both, but I gave her $30 anyway.

The regulated stuff there, like pistol is $30 transfer WITH $10 MSP fee.

A bit of a drive, but if you time it right it was a nice scenic drive, at least for me.

This is not a bash on MM, as I have only heard great things about them...
    The point I'm trying to drive home is overhead and cost of doing business in Maryland. MM is a home based FFL in Hollywood MD. Their overhead is far less than that of a FFL in a commercial storefront in Bethesda.
    EX- An FFL does their part of a 4473, their part of the 77r and the 77r transfer a week later. If they're really fast, this takes a solid 15 minutes total. At $20 per transfer, the most they could take in is a theoretical $80 per hour. A commercially zoned storefront cannot remain afloat in most of Maryland when they're bringing in $80 an hour. (For an appointment only, home based FFL, $80 per hour is lucrative)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't named them and don't plan on it.

Why not?

They are not being honest with you, and over charged you.

Maybe if you share this information, others will not go there and they will change their policy. Or go out of business.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Can I just gripe for a minute? I just moved here from the free state of Texas, where the norm for an FFL transfer fee was $20. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but usually $20 was easy enough to find most anywhere you went.

I recently transferred a pistol into a LGS and forked over $60 to the LGS, then $10 to MSP...I can't believe the prices here. I've called around a few places, and it seems that $50 (plus $10) seems to be the norm. What gives?!?

OK, gripe over.

p.s.
    If you know somewhere giving cheaper transfers in AAC then what I paid please let me know!

You came to Maryland, you get what Maryland gives you. Do what the rest of us do. Check the IPs for transfer fee costs. Comparison shop many FFLs. There's many reasons for varying differences in fees. Do the research. Griping is easy

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Go to gunbroker and use the ffl finder. It’ll give contact info and pricing. It’s a start anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Two lessons learned, a cable lock wont cut it. There are certain locks that are approved. The Omega bore lock (tampon) being one.
    Second. Find a new FFL.

No, his cable lock would cut it. It is only for 2003 (2002? 2001? I forget the exact cut over year) that handguns must have an internal lock. A bore lock qualifies. Prior to that the handgun may have an external lock supplied. A cable/chamber/trigger lock would all qualify.

To the OP, I get hit naming names. I can see a mess up them thinking you meant a long gun transfer. But the FFL should have still asked so they were clear and then provided all relevant information. You could be a first time customer, or a fifth time. Your first handgun transfer every or you buy two a week. Unless they KNOW you know all of their policies and expectations, then that is piss poor customer service.

I’d be very upset with changing expectations. I know to expect a bore lock on 2000s handguns and before that bring a cable lock and they probably won’t even bother to ask for older handguns. But a new purchaser wouldn’t know that and it is poor customer service and/or predatory business dealings not to let the customer know things upfront.

Yes, the business might need to ask a couple of extra questions. But it’s all of a minute of your time to set those clear service and pricing expectations.

So no, they may have a friendly demeanor, but that is terrible customer service (intentionally or unintentionally).

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I talked to a shop on the Eastern shore about a transfer and their fee was $100.

Dang, I guess some people dont want to do transfers.

My guy probably does good business with people coming in to transfer, and end up looking at his consignment and new guns.

Thats how I ended up with my Marlin 30-30.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    No, his cable lock would cut it. It is only for 2003 (2002? 2001? I forget the exact cut over year) that handguns must have an internal lock. A bore lock qualifies. Prior to that the handgun may have an external lock supplied. A cable/chamber/trigger lock would all qualify.

To the OP, I get hit naming names. I can see a mess up them thinking you meant a long gun transfer. But the FFL should have still asked so they were clear and then provided all relevant information. You could be a first time customer, or a fifth time. Your first handgun transfer every or you buy two a week. Unless they KNOW you know all of their policies and expectations, then that is piss poor customer service.

I’d be very upset with changing expectations. I know to expect a bore lock on 2000s handguns and before that bring a cable lock and they probably won’t even bother to ask for older handguns. But a new purchaser wouldn’t know that and it is poor customer service and/or predatory business dealings not to let the customer know things upfront.

Yes, the business might need to ask a couple of extra questions. But it’s all of a minute of your time to set those clear service and pricing expectations.

So no, they may have a friendly demeanor, but that is terrible customer service (intentionally or unintentionally).

Well said, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom